Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/14/11 04:10

uroboros

New moves for konoko what would you add?

yeah combat system in oni is matchless to this day big_smile
but everything can be improved so why not try to add few more moves for konoko?
The only thing that comes to my mind is a nice wall jump kick like in lugaru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTxaAj5w-4

is it worth and possible to make something like this?
or maybe something different idk ;]

#2 10/14/11 09:10

Yoriko

Re: New moves for konoko what would you add?

There has been discussions about implementing wall running and wall collision in a different thread. I'm not sure if any modder followed that up though.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#3 10/14/11 14:10

Mukade

Thing with Konoko is she already has all her moves filled. There are no missing Punch or Kick combos that aren't filled in, except maybe some of the ones we don't use.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#4 10/14/11 14:10

Loser

Kids these days...
Oni combat system is OK but it could use some serious rework and addition of more important mechanics than some fancy wall kick moves.

So, what would I add?
Parry mechanics and Throw escape mechanics. Those are something Konoko and other characters in Oni really need. I played with combat a lot, trust me (over 10 years ^_^) and both these gameplay elements are really missing.

Parry would stir attacker/defender roles and make combat more dynamic, with less focus on unblockable special attacks.
Throw escapes would water down power of throws. Throws (mainly run throws) are too advantageous in Oni.

Last edited by Loser (10/14/11 14:10)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#5 10/14/11 15:10

Yoriko

Loser, the combat messiah big_smile

How are things progressing with the ground grab and double hit systems you've been working on Loser? Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fQFIzeioI

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#6 10/14/11 18:10

Jon God

Wall run, ledge grab, diving forwards/backwards while shooting, cartwheel shooting, uncharted style over the ledge shooting...

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#7 10/14/11 20:10

Yoriko

All those are unneccesary (except the wall run that can be used to access higher places und stuff), interaction with ledges and such can make the game quite clumsy while parkouring, you can already run dive roll to the side while keeping a steady accuracy aswell as jump flipping to the side. ^^

Last edited by Yoriko (10/14/11 20:10)

#8 10/15/11 12:10

TheCreature

I agree with Loser.  Parries and throw escapes are at the top of the list right now.

Aside from that, melee weapons.  I like my chop-chop.  big_smile

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#9 10/16/11 10:10

Mukade

A cover system would be fantastic, and encourage gun-play a bit more. I mean, you yourself can use cover just by crouching behind an object, but it would be neat if AI could do it too.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#10 10/16/11 11:10

TheCreature

Mukade wrote:

A cover system would be fantastic, and encourage gun-play a bit more. I mean, you yourself can use cover just by crouching behind an object, but it would be neat if AI could do it too.

A weapon rebalance would be nice as well.  I don't like having to empty an entire clip into a guy to do any real damage.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#11 10/16/11 12:10

Yoriko

Longer reloads!! A striker empties a black adder at 30 meters range, hits nothing, he reloads and you advance 10 meters, he empties his clip again and takes out a quarter of your health, he reloads and you advance, he empties half of his clip at close range, you take the gun away. You now have 50% of your health left from a single guy. If you face two guys with black adders who spots you simuntaneously, you will die.

#12 10/16/11 18:10

TheCreature

Actually, I was thinking make the guns a bit more powerful.  The Equalizer specifically, needs to be more deadly.

#13 10/16/11 19:10

Loser

Well Yoriko, issue with your described situation is with engaging armed enemies at medium distance, where chance to miss is fairly low and distance is in favor of fiream wielders. Wrong combat strategy, that would cost you in real life ^_^.

And I toyed privately with weapon balance. Totally changes feeling of the game. While melee still perserves its usefulness, firearms suddenly evolve from useless gimmicks to powerful tools. No more brave rushing at enemy with Black Adder, no more bored toying with Plasma rifle armed enemy. However, the biggest issue is with Artificial Intelligence, as A.I. only knows to yell and charge its enemy and maybe attempt to dodge out of line of fire after enemy opens fire.

If we are to implement deadlier weapons, first A.I. has to be learnt to behave appropriately upon contact with armed opponent. That means A.I. has to start gunfire dodge mechanics immediately on sight of enemy's weapon, not after enemy opens fire, that is too late. And it would mean to implement some more sophisiticated medium combat CMBT behaviors, with A.I. actively trying to take cover behind obstacles during shootouts.

Last edited by Loser (10/16/11 19:10)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#14 10/17/11 13:10

Yoriko

Is it possible for the AI to treat the laser sight as a particle and dodge your aim?

#15 10/17/11 17:10

Dirk Gently
Website

Well guys that is a very good question.

#16 10/17/11 17:10

TheCreature

Hmm... the only problem I can see is that would only work for laser sighted weapons.  Weapons such as the SBG and Scram Cannon have different sights.  Although, I guess the Scram Cannon can't really be dodged that easily anyways.

Last edited by TheCreature (10/17/11 17:10)

#17 10/17/11 18:10

Yoriko

Concidering that the SBG, scram cannon and screaming cannon have very slow projectiles the AI dodges them when they come close, as would a player. The phase projector is a different matter though, but I think it's quite hard to hit a dodging AI with it as it is. Especially a ninja. The mercury bow is probably the gun were it's most essential to get the AI to dodge the sight, it's impossible to doge the projectile once it's launched.

Last edited by Yoriko (10/17/11 18:10)

#18 10/17/11 20:10

TheCreature

Well... I dodged it once.  In Carousel mode.  It was ridiculous.

#19 10/17/11 20:10

Mukade

The best way to take out an armed opponent, especially with Black Adder is to attract him, then break Line of Sight, forcing him to run around a corner or through a door to get you, where, if you are good, you can disarm with without him landing a shot, or if you're not good, he might get a quarter clip off before you take the weapon. They don't take corners too sharply, so generally they manage to get some shot off. Pretty much any other weapon I can think of you can dodge by weaving back and forth.

#20 10/18/11 11:10

Yoriko

Just hiding behind a corner usually works, is there any way to make the AI take some distance from the corner and going around it rather than just go right to where they last saw you like they do now?

#21 10/18/11 17:10

RuthgerMiles

A move like she swings her leg around her enemies neck, and then punches him some times in the face

You play to much oni if: You paint your hair purple, call your little brother Muro and beats him up 3 times a day like this...

crazydolfightom4lk0.gif

#22 10/18/11 18:10

Dirk Gently
Website

Well guys that is a very good question. Now where were we.

#23 01/02/12 12:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 12:01)

#24 01/02/12 12:01

Striker

Windy wrote:

All these new game mechanics and improved AI should be in Oni2.
The game can have wall running features like in "Prince of Persia" games, and something from "Tomb Raider" games...
New combat moves would be hard to squeeze in her arsenal of techniques.
Unless there was a feature that enables Konoko to be stronger.
For example, she was level 1 in the entire game of Oni. But if Oni2 ever comes then she can switch levels by pushing the #2 button. And then she will power up and use different moves, different fighting styles, double the damage, double the protection, and everything is doubled, even your speed. But that is all just my dreams for Oni2...

Sorry to say, but Oni 2 will most likely never come out. The closest thing we have to that is the Anniversary Edition.

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Board footer