Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/07/11 07:09

Satyr

Mod idea: grenades

Hi all,

Look, first off: I want to apologize if I come off as if I'm making a demand. I'm not, I'm just sharing ideas. I also have no experience with modding/scripting etc. whatsoever.

But I just had this thought and I think it should be possible: grenades in Oni.

The animations are all there:

-Fire/explosion for the exploding grenade (both can be taken from the Superball Gun)
-Flying grenade from the Superball Gun or Barabas' cannon.
-The throw animation could be one of Konoko's punches

Now, for ammo: I was thinking that 1 grenade = 1 ammoclip. Maybe 2 different grenades, 1 for energy and 1 for ballistic?

Again, I have no experience with modding and I wouldn't know if this is possible. It's just an idea. smile

Last edited by Satyr (09/07/11 07:09)

#2 09/07/11 08:09

Iritscen

Re: Mod idea: grenades

Sure, no need to be apologetic smile  The problem is that there's not really support for throwing objects in the engine.  So, you could make a gun that looks like a grenade, but the character is hardcoded to only have a couple of ways to hold a weapon -- like a pistol or like a rifle.  And the grenade-gun can fire a bullet that looks and acts like a grenade, but Konoko will still be holding the gun; how do you make it disappear as it fires?  Those seem like the main sticking points.  Now, a hand-cannon that launches grenades is much more doable.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 09/07/11 09:09

Satyr

Mm. So I understand that no projectiles can be fired unless in 'shooting-mode' when Konoko is holding a weapon?

A pity. sad

#4 09/07/11 09:09

Iritscen

Well, unless someone more clever with the engine than I am can figure it out.  There's a good few of those people, but I don't know if they're around to see this suggestion.

#5 09/07/11 09:09

Samer
Website

how about a particle ?
like mutant muro shoots electricity from his hands and i saw another mod where the character shoots energy from its hands (by paradox)

can it be made that the grenade is a particle shot from konoko's hand when she does a certain animation ..
and the particle has an explosion effect when it 'hits' the target .. i think that can be done .. but I'm not a particles expert.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#6 09/07/11 09:09

Iritscen

Hmm, yeah, I forgot about that... I guess paradox would know how to do that.

#7 09/07/11 14:09

Mukade

I suppose. You could make a gun like Mukade's, with one shot, that fires a grendae. But again, you'd be stuck in the the gun holding position. On the other hand, you could make an actual move/animation, that releases a grenade particle, but then you have the problem of how frequently you can use it. I suppose some clever XML work might just be able to pull it off, but I don't think it could ever look really good.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#8 09/07/11 14:09

paradox-01

The particle you saw, Samer, are indeed a modified version of mutant Muro's particle. Maybe it can be reused at some point.
(Getting a correct vector for the emitted particle can be more difficult than it sounds like.)

grenade_throw_range.png

Animations make it hard to define the throw range of the granades. That's why I would suggest to use different throw modes (short, medium, long).

For those who want to pick up the idea here are the 3 animations from screenshot.

#9 09/07/11 18:09

Lukas Kreator

Wait, I made a projectile similar to a grenade and posted here, some time ago: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1779
Take a look and see if it is usefull.

#10 09/07/11 19:09

Samer
Website

lukas the attachment is no longer there in the thread u linked.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#11 09/07/11 19:09

Knox

Grenades in Oni. Sounds like a pretty cool idea if it's possible. I can just picture a TCTF Black Ops blowing an Elite away with a grenade.

Last edited by Knox (09/07/11 19:09)

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#12 09/07/11 19:09

Lukas Kreator

I think that is because we no longer have attachments... Wait, that thread is not very old...

I dunno what has happened but I'll upload it again.

#13 09/07/11 20:09

Iritscen

We don't have attachments anymore, buddy.  Sorry.

#14 09/07/11 22:09

Lukas Kreator

I know, but since when? I don't remember ever trying to use attachments, at least in the last year. Did I??

#15 09/08/11 03:09

Satyr

Maybe it would be possible to map a new key for the throw? But instead of one action for that key, it would be a series of actions, like this:

Grab weapon (which is the grenade) -> throw -> holster weapon

But then you can't carry a gun and grenades at the same time, and you could just as well use the Superball gun.

#16 09/08/11 07:09

Yoriko

Perhaps we can make the grenade an item, when you use the item the animation is displayed and the item consumed, ofc we're gonna have to make a new bar that displays how many grenades you're currently carrying.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#17 09/08/11 09:09

Iritscen

The HUDs are hardcoded, so you can't make new ones.

Board footer