Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/02/11 15:09

quarkmac
Website

Hurt by Fire

OK, so I like to kill a lot of enemies by throwing them into a fire!  smile

I find it satisfying to trick them into punching konoko, and then I quick dodge out of the way and they
get destroyed by the fire.  It's a good way to dispatch enemies when you are low on health, or have no
ammo!

However, recently I've noticed that the amount of times you (or enemies) can get hurt by fire seems to
be limited.  After a certain point of burning my enemies (or self), the fire ceases to do any more damage.

If this has been brought up before, I apologize, but if not, is there a way to make the... fire keep on burnin', so to speak?

Thanks, guys!

quarkmac

We Don't Give The Crescent Moon Kick Nearly As Much Credit As It Deserves!

#2 09/02/11 16:09

Yoriko

Re: Hurt by Fire

I'm not silly enough to stand in a fire for a long period of time tongue
But I'll check that out.
Tip: By having the developer mode enabled you get messages when the fire hurts konoko if you're standing in it.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#3 09/02/11 17:09

s10k
Website

Yes there are some limitation. But now you talk about fire I just wonder how it will be if we could add some particles of burning fire in the characters when they touch the fire.

#4 09/02/11 20:09

Yoriko

Would it be possible if the characters would be set on fire and burn for a period of time after exiting the fire zone?

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#5 09/02/11 20:09

Iritscen

I believe that fires do damage by trigger volume, not by particle, which may explain the glitchiness in how effective it is.  However, in theory it seems like they should be able to use the particles to deal damage.  Also, since the plasma rifle leaves a burning effect on its target, I would think that a fire could do something similar.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 09/03/11 11:09

Jon God

Flamethrowers?

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#7 09/03/11 12:09

Iritscen

Ask Gumby.

#8 09/03/11 17:09

Mukade

I wonder if it would be possible to make a more HD fire as well? Not to hate on Oni, but I've always thought the fire looked a little bad. I don't know how you would actually edit a particle, but it's something that would be nice to see.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#9 09/03/11 18:09

Dirk Gently
Website

Make it then.

#10 09/03/11 18:09

Mukade

Mukade wrote:

I don't know how you would actually edit a particle, but it's something that would be nice to see.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#11 09/03/11 20:09

Iritscen

Well, if you're just talking about the textures the fire uses, that's basic TXMP modding.  (I always thought the fire textures looked better than most of Oni's textures, personally.)  Now, if you're talking about improving the particle effect, that is probably trickier.

#12 09/03/11 21:09

Mukade

Well, I could start with the texture, but I agree that the texture does look pretty decent. It's the effect that gets me, but I'll worry about that some other time.

Board footer