Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/09/10 16:02

TOCS

Oni - Source Code?

I've been wondering for quite some time if anyone actually have asked Bungie about releasing the source code for Oni.
If not, we could request it. I mean, the game seems dead to be honest, and I dont think Bungie or Take-Two cares about it anymore. Maybe there's a chance.

P.S : I know Take-Two has the rights for the publishing part, but I bet Bungie still has the rights to the source.

#2 02/09/10 17:02

Jon God

Re: Oni - Source Code?

Take-Two owns the game, sadly, meaning that you would have to talk to them directly. Judging by Bungie, if it had been up to them, they have have just open sourced it years ago.

Take-Two on the other hand, is a big corporation.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#3 02/09/10 17:02

Dirk Gently
Website

there is someone from feral working on the oni code. Bungie cannot release source code like that.

#4 02/09/10 17:02

TOCS

I see now. Has anybody actually tried contacting Take-Two about the rights and distribution? As I said, they might not even care about the game anymore.

#5 02/09/10 17:02

Dirk Gently
Website

You are not going to get anything from them. I was not able to get some minor details about Halo 1 from bungie. I have serious doubts that you will ever see that code in the next 10 years or so.

Also the guy at feral who is working on the code cannot let anyone see any of it. This means that since the code is still in production, any request for that will be denied.

#6 02/09/10 17:02

TOCS

That's sad.
We need a sneaky bastard to get it then. tongue

#7 02/09/10 18:02

Lithium

it seems my time to shine has come...oh wait sneaky? damn i only qualify for the bastard part
although i don't see why take two keep codes or data for a dead game. I mean that's like buying a 360, but spend all ur time playing a ps2. But there is the possibilty we can sell it, but you guys don't want to do anything ilegal, all you want to do is let your ideas shine and see them play out.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 02/09/10 18:02

Dirk Gently
Website

intellectual property. If someone else makes a game with the same or similar story or function they can sue.

#9 02/09/10 19:02

Lithium

well not publish oni nut make a fan game
there are fan games on flash or sumthing and nobody sues, even though they make money for it

#10 08/17/11 22:08

Knox

@ Dirk Gently Pierre hasn't been sued yet.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#11 08/17/11 22:08

Lukas Kreator

That is true. This doesn't seem like a problem.

#12 08/18/11 00:08

TOCS

I believe it's because he has build everything on Flexine, not the official source code.

#13 08/18/11 01:08

Lithium

I have no idea what I said back there. ._.

#14 08/18/11 02:08

Gumby

He isn't making money off of it nor representing Oni as his own, so he's in the clear.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#15 08/18/11 05:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Fan created games are normally covered under creative license. You are not trying to replace Oni, and as it is no longer in press that means you are not trying to win top spot. He is using all his own code so as Gumby said, he is in the clear.

#16 08/18/11 07:08

paradox-01

From Take 2's point of view I don't think using ripped content in Pierre's own engine is an excuse.

The SOFTWARE and ACCOMPANYING MATERIALS may not be copied or reproduced in any manner or medium, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from Owner. Any persons copying or reproducing all or any portion of the SOFTWARE or ACCOMPANYING MATERIALS, in any manner or medium, will be willfully violating the copyright laws and may be subject to civil
or criminal penalties.

And we are on no better side. (Where do you think come all the technical wiki pages, tools and mods from?)

YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO REVERSE ENGINEER, DECOMPILE OR DISASSEMBLE THE SOFTWARE IN ANY WAY.

Even a fan game using the characters and their names wouldn't be "save".

Intellectual Property Ownership. Owner retains all right, title and interest to this SOFTWARE and the accompanying manual(s), packaging and other written materials (collectively, the ACCOMPANYING MATERIALS), including, but not limited to, all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, trade names, proprietary rights, patents, titles, computer codes, audiovisual effects, themes, characters, character names, stories, dialog, settings, artwork, sounds effects, musical works, and moral rights.

If they really want to go against us (including Pierre) we can hardly stop them. We are just living on their mercy and doing unpaid customer service und PR for them. Live and let live.

#17 08/18/11 08:08

Iritscen

Yes, exactly.  We don't technically have the right to do most of what we're doing.  From a certain standpoint, the best thing we can possibly do is lie low and not draw any attention to ourselves from the companies.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#18 08/18/11 09:08

TOCS

To be honest, I don't think Take-Two gives two shits about what we're doing around here. smile

#19 08/18/11 09:08

Mukade

TOCS wrote:

To be honest, I don't think Take-Two gives two shits about what we're doing around here. smile

I fully agree with this, but you never know if they'll give us the boot just because they can. But like paradox said, live and let live. They certainly have the power to oust us, but unless we give them any practical reason to come after us, there shouldn't be any conflict. Not to mention the fact that Take 2 never actually did jack squat with Oni after they bought the rights.... so, I'm not sure how much they'd care either way.

Still, that's not to say I want to push the limits, and see how much we can get away with. We've all agreed to abide by the rules, and I don't intend to break them, however much I'd want to, just because I think they're not looking.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#20 08/18/11 13:08

Lukas Kreator

In the start, didn't Bungie employees help us with things? That seems contradictory, unless the copyright issues came when Take Two acquired it.

#21 08/18/11 13:08

Iritscen

Bungie employees were always very communicative with our community, but I'm not sure what you mean by "helping us".  All our Oni modding knowledge and abilities were devised from scratch through reverse-engineering.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#22 08/18/11 14:08

Lukas Kreator

So they didn't tell us anything about the engine? But they didn't do anything against the reverse-engineering either...

#23 08/18/11 14:08

Yoriko

For not stopping us they're equally guilty as us!!!.............Or maybe not........

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#24 08/18/11 16:08

Gumby

Lukas Kreator wrote:

So they didn't tell us anything about the engine? But they didn't do anything against the reverse-engineering either...

Most of them don't remember anything about the engine now anyhow. smile And they don't have any responsibility to stop reverse engineering. In fact, most of the ones who I have talked to have been quite pleased with the reverse engineering work the community has done. Take2 is the problem here.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#25 08/21/11 14:08

onirulez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqH-UyzCyKo

Lol i found this video. Its might work

"Your mine!"

Board footer