Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/15/11 16:08

Knox

Idea for avatars.

Is it possible to replace the avatars with animated ones to compensate for lack of lip sync technology? I can't do it, because I don't know anything about modding Oni. I got the idea from this one video on oxe's youtube page called "Muro Hates Nyan Cat."

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#2 08/15/11 19:08

Mukade

Re: Idea for avatars.

So what you're saying is make the little avatars that pop up in the corners during cutscenes actually talk? Actually that's not a half bad idea, but if it's possible, I wouldn't know how :-/

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 08/15/11 20:08

Knox

Replace the avatars wit animated .gif files unique to each time an avatar pops up. smile

Oni fan since 2001.

#4 08/15/11 23:08

Mukade

Yeah, I know what you mean, but still, I'm not sure how you would do that... I could look around and try to locate the pictures in the game, but I'm not sure if Oni would like them being replace by GIFs

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 08/15/11 23:08

Knox

Oh. Is there any other way to make animated textures? Kind like that flickering news screen in the Rooftops level?

Oni fan since 2001.

#6 08/16/11 01:08

Samer
Website

yes there is smile
i had a similar idea here : http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2020
read about making animated textures here : http://wiki.oni2.net/w/index.php?title= … ed_texture

u can't use directly gifs but u can make animated textures by editing the xml of oni texture files.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 08/16/11 02:08

Gumby

Hmm, that might work.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 08/16/11 07:08

TOCS

We would probably need an artist, unless you can help us Knox! big_smile

#9 08/16/11 09:08

Knox

I suck at drawing.  sad
How 'bout DarkLitra?

Last edited by Knox (08/16/11 09:08)

Oni fan since 2001.

#10 08/16/11 11:08

Lukas Kreator

Maybe, but I don't think that would be a very difficult thing to do. We just have to take the original images and "distort" some things in them. Of course, it would be better if DarkLitria made it ^^

#11 08/16/11 12:08

Bozzman

My post on the subject (which had to do with actual face textures but its essentially the same deal)
-------------
I am absolutely horrid at faces - however here is my speculation. I'm not thoroughly experienced with XML, so is it possible to insert variable delay between textures? Here's how otherwise.
A blink would be a quick delay. However we don't want the characters to be having a seizure, as texture A (eyes open) and texture B (eyes closed) would flicker quickly.
A long delay would result in the amazing ability to fight with their eyes closed.
So with what I know we would have to have a quick delay but with multiple instances of texture A (A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,B) that way the blink would be quick but wouldnt happen constantly.

That's just as far as I know - If a varible delay between textures is possible it would make it quite easier. Then you could have even more options (A,B,A,B,C,A,etc) with C being the eyes glancing off to the left or right.
--------------
So yeah if anyone knows anything more about using xml for different delays between textures this could be done easily, if not each face will have more textures to achieve the same result

Here take this hypo!

#12 08/16/11 14:08

Iritscen

I don't think TXAN supports variable frame delays.  So you would basically be dealing with an animation where the mouth opens and closes regularly out of sync with the dialogue.  I also think it would be kind of odd to have an animated face in the corner of the screen while the model remains the same.

Incidentally, I was able to create moving mouths on the actual character models a while back, but I didn't publicize it because syncing the mouths to a cutscene requires transcribing lipflaps to BSL for each word spoken, and my approach was a rather dodgy hack where only one character's face could be shown onscreen in a cutscene at a time while there was dialogue.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#13 08/16/11 14:08

Lukas Kreator

I guess anything is progress when the characters and 'avatars' simply do nothing. Even if it is out of sync, it would be better than before.

#14 08/16/11 16:08

Mukade

Agreed that drawing new avatars would be a little odd, but someone versed in photoshop or flash might be able to manipulate the actual picture into a few different mouth positions that could be used. Also, you wouldn't have to make a new mouth position for every syllable, I think there are 7 differentt mouth position that can roughly cover the range of human speech, and you can pick and choose between the different mouth positions. I can probably find a description of that if anyone is genuinely interested

#15 08/16/11 18:08

Knox

Maybe have them talk with anime-style mouth movement? It might save time.

EDIT: I may suck at drawing, but later I might post some frames for an animation that have been horribly edited in MS paint.

Last edited by Knox (08/16/11 18:08)

Oni fan since 2001.

#16 08/16/11 19:08

Knox

I would like to apologize to the original artists for this tongue

http://knoxcarbon.deviantart.com/art/Ko … -253319028

Last edited by Knox (08/16/11 21:08)

Oni fan since 2001.

#17 08/16/11 21:08

Lukas Kreator

Hmm... That image is broken for me.
I'll take another look tomorrow.

#18 08/16/11 21:08

Knox

Should work now.

Last edited by Knox (08/16/11 21:08)

Oni fan since 2001.

#19 08/16/11 21:08

Lukas Kreator

Well, that is not perfect but it is a great start.
Now, we just have to put it in the game, but it's not so easy...
If we will do the BSL way, it will take us some time until we can set faces for every syllabe in a dialog, but we can start simple.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (08/16/11 21:08)

#20 08/16/11 21:08

Knox

I told you I suck at drawing. tongue
Should I make more?

Oni fan since 2001.

#21 08/17/11 00:08

Lithium

Would it be possible to add some sort of custom portraits to the game? Example we replace the Comguy with Kojiro and replace his blue goggle portrait with this Kojiro one
Kojiro.png
^^'

Last edited by Lithium (08/17/11 03:08)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#22 08/17/11 02:08

Mukade

Hey, that's actually pretty good Knox! I'd say show a little less bottom teeth on the last image.

And yeah, I'd suggest you try to import those into the game and make them work before putting any more effort into drawing the portraits. Why bother if you can't get them to work?

#23 08/17/11 10:08

Knox

Like I said in my first post, I don't know anything about modding Oni. Or animating. I was hoping someone could animate these. sad
EDIT: Actually, does anyone know how to locate the in-game avatars?
@ oxe161 I'll try making a few frames. BTW do you know anyone who can animate things?

Last edited by Knox (08/17/11 10:08)

Oni fan since 2001.

#24 08/17/11 11:08

DarkLitria
Website

i suck at animating -.-;

No BLOOD no foul.

#25 08/17/11 11:08

Lithium