Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/12/11 14:08

PaxTheMax

ONI: the Where's the When's and the Why's

(This is meant as a discussion about the game, but since it has to do with the AE as well I put it here. Please move if I was mistaken.)

Right! The purpose of this thread is to present and categorize in some general form all the informational content regarding the content and backstory of the game. Eventually, this could be included in some 'luxury' manual .pdf that would be packaged with the release. I've seen many mods do this and I believe it is a good move.

First of all let us look at what we do know: we know some of the dates, we can start working on the timeline of events that preceded ONI. We don't know where are the locations of key events in the game. I am aware that there is a mention of Neo-Tokyo in the dreamlab cutscene, but that hardly proves anything other than that Hasegawa himself lived there at some point in his life. So it would be nice if we could provide some geographical data ourselves...

And finally, to look at the complex picture of the game's universe, answer some lingering questions and compile facts into a sort of community canon.

In any case it would be nice to lay the current version out so newbies like me can catch up smile

#2 08/12/11 15:08

Iritscen

Re: ONI: the Where's the When's and the Why's

Have you seen the wiki? wink

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/12/11 16:08

PaxTheMax

I did, I did smile

But the wiki info on these things, although it must have been a tremendous effort, just does not feel completed. So I decided to step in! Maybe! If you, err, let me...

#4 08/12/11 16:08

Iritscen

Sure, anyone is welcome to contribute.  I guess I kind of thought the wiki was complete with regards to covering Oni's story, but if you see something missing....  Was there something specific you wanted to discuss on the forum, or would you just like to add to what's on the wiki?

#5 08/12/11 17:08

PaxTheMax

Well,a discussion would be nice. Don't wanna just up and edit the wiki, no?

Let's discuss BGI first, because I believe its the most related to AE presently. Here are the questions I need answered:

WHAT is BGI? What are its fronts, both legal and underground? What are its goals?

WHO is BGI? Who are the people who make it up? How do they interact with existing characters? *KHM*conspiracies*KHM* wink

WHY BGI? How is it involved in the plot? How did it become involved with Konoko, TCTF, WCG and what ultimately becomes of it?

WHERE is BGI? No, seriously, where is their HQ? Japan? Somewhere else? (I have an idea, if you havent guessed, lol)

And some other questions that might pop up to tie things together. Now the Idea is to add what we know from the game/manuals/whatever, add in some more stuff that's good and that I and maybe somebody else piles it into a sort of frame of reference. (It could help when you start making the BGI level).

#6 08/12/11 20:08

Iritscen

Well, as you know, very little is said about BGI in the game.  The wiki already has a compilation of what we know at http://wiki.oni2.net/BGI, followed by some reasonable speculation.  I think you'll find answers to all your questions there.

#7 08/12/11 21:08

Samer
Website

In addition to the new BGI characters discussed in the various character project thread ^_^

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#8 08/13/11 02:08

Mukade

There have been numerous discussions, but I like the way you categorize it. Answering these questions will make it more real and less theoretical. As Irit said, very little is said, so some elements we have to make up. But I think the hardest part about this thread is interweaving the stuff we make up with the stuff that we already know, and to not make something up that is contrary to what has been stated. So before answering any of these categories, research will have to be done on the forum and wiki to make sure we have all that we already know written down. After that;s done, we can fill in the blanks.

To kick off, I'm going to present the quote "According to your latest report, BGI is a suspected Syndicate front"

So we know BGI has ties to Syndicate. However, according to a lot of ppl on forums, BGI is it's own company, with it's own troops and resources. So, I present the question first: Can you describe the relationship between BGI and Syndiate?

I've always wondered this, and never got a straight up answer, and I assume there isn't one. And since this is all fiction anyways, adding fiction to fiction doesn't make it false.
You claim to be good at writing, so knock yourself out on this one. Research what you can, and make up what you can't, but try not overturn too many assumptions smile

Think you are up to this one Pax? Tomorrow, I can describe in further detail what I believe is the relationship, and then we can compare notes or something. Then you, I or both of us can compile a definitive answer to the question, and update the first post, and maybe the wiki smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#9 08/13/11 03:08

PaxTheMax

I feel up for it. We could meet up on IRC - but bear in mind I'm on the CET timezone (GMT+1).

#10 08/13/11 11:08

Yoriko

I believe Bungie West did intend to involve BGI more into the main storyline, after all they intended that Konoko (the player) should be in their HQ at some point.

Last edited by Yoriko (08/13/11 11:08)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#11 08/13/11 11:08

Iritscen

To be honest, guys, I feel like we've already answered all those questions on the wiki.  But if you wanted to develop your own separate fiction, you could start a new page on the wiki under Oni2, as a few of us have.

#12 08/13/11 15:08

Jon God

You can also visit the HL server, if you'd like. I'd always be up for discussion.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#13 08/14/11 04:08

TOCS

GMT+1? Do you happen to be from Scandinavia? Because that's my timezone as well. smile I'll probably be on the IRC sometime later today.

Board footer