Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 06/23/10 05:06

ndg0809

Re: Modding Tutorials

i have pasted the above code in that folder and then converted it and pasted it there but nothing happens

#27 08/02/11 04:08

TheeVang

Um, excuse me, but how do you understand the scripts? I don't even understand a single thing like for example what does " <particles> " represent and why must the word have the " < > " spelled with it? Not to mention along with the " <Object Id="2671" Type="FLAG"> " what does that do? And also do you have to write the id's for all characters your trying to spawn? I've looked up other tutorials but it just posts stuff like " <blah blah blah>   <blah_blah=blah>.

And I cant understand it because it is not being explained properly due to the fact that the tutorial only posts "blah etc blah blah etc blah blah" and is not explaining what it does when you insert that type of command or script and it doesn't explain what will happen if you don't add "etc". It also doesn't mention anything about spawning things either for example: ai2_spawn blah blah_etc and spawn blah_etc or even the character and classes I know the classes changes your appearance in game but is the character idea the same thing as ai2_spawn blah_etc and spawn blah_etc? Someone or a lot of people please help me to understand this because I want to spawn other character on the map too..... T_T

#28 08/02/11 05:08

TOCS

The tutorial expects you to understand the structure and syntax XML already. This is just a tutorial for the functions and objects that is used, when using scripts for Oni.

#29 08/02/11 06:08

Samer
Website

1- u have to understand there's a difference between scripts which are .bsl type files, and xml files ...
when i first joined i too didn't understand much, i still don't really get bsl tongue but i think i'm pretty good with xml now.

here are a few pointers about xml.

when u see this part : <blah>  this means that a section of info is about to start, let's say in the ONCC xml file .. (the oncc is a file about characters in game it holds all the information about that character example which 3d model the body uses which textures it uses which moves which sounds etc ..)
in the ONCC there's a particles section, this will hold info about the particles used by this character : examples on particles are the daodon glow .. when konoko overpowers she lights in violet right ? these are particles determined in the ONCC. when she hits someone with the devil spin kick there's a violet light .. this is also a particle, when she does her supers there are purple trails .. this is the contrail particle ..

a TRAC.xml file will hold info about the moves used by the character, it holds links to different trams, trams are the moves example konoko's devil spin kick is in a file called TRAMKONCOMkick_heavy  ^_^ and oncc links to the trac big_smile

this is a simplified tutorial with all the info u'd need about xml, the file types and such : http://wiki.oni2.net/XML_basic_tutorial

this is a simplified tutorial about scripts or bsl ... http://wiki.oni2.net/BSL

spawning characters in games would require to change the xml of levels and change bsl as well .. i advise u to wait on that till u have a better idea about bsl and xml.

but for now we already have mods available where u can easily spawn characters and fight them or fight with them, but in certain levels ... check this out :

http://mods.oni2.net/node/178 .. in this mod by leus, u'll have a new level and u cna simply type the name of the character u want to spawn to spawn it, beside choose which team it is on, add as many enemies as u want and various other options. download it, install it ... load airport cargo hangars press f1 and type winlevel u'll be in a new level and it's self explanatory from there.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#30 08/02/11 07:08

TOCS

They're both technically scripts, but used in different situations. The XML stuff is mainly for modding outside of Oni, while the BSL scripting is used for real time in-game footage. tongue

#31 08/02/11 08:08

Samer
Website

yeah but in oni when we say script we are mainly talking about bsl not xml ...

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#32 08/02/11 08:08

Iritscen

XML is more of a generalized data format than a script.  "Script" implies that a sequence of events are being driven by it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#33 08/02/11 08:08

TOCS

"A scripting language, script language or extension language is a programming language that allows control of one or more applications." - Wikipedia.

I believe it's still performing tasks combined with OniSplit, so I'd call it a script. smile

#34 08/02/11 08:08

TheeVang

Thank you so much guys and um may i ask for a link that leads to a tutorial for the structure of scripts?

#35 08/02/11 08:08

Iritscen

Sure.  Well, for starters, the wiki has all the reference material on BSL: http://wiki.oni2.net/BSL.  For specific questions, you can search the wiki and forum to see if they've been answered before.

A scripting language, script language or extension language is a programming language that allows control of one or more applications.

Sorry, but XML isn't controlling OniSplit by sending it events, and it's not a programming language wink  Now, the .bat files that used to drive OniSplit when installing the old AE, those were scripts....

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer