Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/26/11 17:07

kyletm57

Yellow Light of Death

So after almost 6 years of owning a ps3 with no problems, i turn it on this morning to find the damn thing has YLOD. If you don't know what that is, basically it's when there is a major problem with the system and it is rendered unusable, and when it is turned on the light flashes yellow then flashes red until it just turns off. At first i thought i could just send it in to get it fixed by Sony, but then i realized that my warranty has long since been expired and it cost a whopping 150$ to get it repaired

banner2440.jpg

#2 07/26/11 17:07

Iritscen

Re: Yellow Light of Death

Ow, that really stinks.  $150 seems steep considering the console is selling at $300-350 now.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 07/26/11 18:07

Gumby

Modern age consoles are too finicky and fragile. There are NESes that still work today.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 07/26/11 18:07

Mukade

"They don't make video game consoles like they used to."

I'm pretty sure nowadays they just do it for the money.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 07/26/11 19:07

Iritscen

I think it's more because the old consoles didn't have moving parts like disk drives.  My PS2 worked the last time I tried it, but the CD-ROM laser was starting to die (might just be a dirty lens).  You can't have a problem like that when your game is on a cartridge and you're simply plugging it into the circuit board of the console.  And because the old consoles were running at only a few megahertz, they didn't generate much heat.  A modern console would melt without its fans, but even with them, there's still a lot of expansion and contraction going on that causes wear and tear.

#6 07/26/11 19:07

Lukas Kreator

That is not cool (pun intended). New consoles are supposed to be better than old ones >_>

#7 07/26/11 19:07

Lithium

Atari 2600 > Atari 5200

Sorry Lukas this has been happening since the 80s  :V

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 07/26/11 19:07

Lukas Kreator

Yeah, I'd prefer to play a cool game with bad graphics for five hours, than a cool game with great graphics, but for 5 minutes :\

#9 07/26/11 22:07

kyletm57

Man, why did i have to give my PS2 away to my cousins? The newest console i have besides that is the atari jaguar, and there's no way i'm playing that. Looks like i'm going to have to dig up my SNES.....

@Oxe: I remember the 5200, that thing was a tank

Last edited by kyletm57 (07/26/11 22:07)

banner2440.jpg

#10 07/26/11 22:07

Lithium

LET'S PLAY SOME JAG!!!!!

And fuck yeah I got myself Rocky and Hulk Ultimate Destruction for my PS2 like 4 days ago...now if I can get off my PC and play them :V

#11 07/26/11 22:07

Iritscen

oxe talks like he remembers the Atari, but he wasn't alive then tongue  I had a 2600, and it was boss.  Okay, it wasn't that great, because the pixels were as big as my eyes, and the controls were half-broken because it had been passed down to me by my older siblings.  The joystick was a total joke to begin with, and the console was famous for not having enough memory to completely draw to its display.  So don't knock the new consoles too hard.

#12 07/26/11 22:07

Lithium

I'm actually a 40 year old man stalking younger users

#13 07/26/11 22:07

Lukas Kreator

Well, the new consoles can be great in rendering capacity, but the fact that they break easily makes them pretty unusable. I had some experience with breaking consoles :\

#14 07/27/11 03:07

TOCS

I tried getting the YLOD as well. It happened when I accidentally left it on over the night. I woke up to the console flashing yellow, but it was fixed just by turning the power on/off on the rear. Just be happy you didn't buy a Xbox 360 that many years ago. The failure rate of the old 360's (before Jasper) were pretty high.

#15 07/30/11 19:07

demos_kratos

Get a $7 tube of thermal paste, rip ps3 up and apply the paste to the CPU. Problem solved (for half a year at least).
You misters say that old consoles were unkillable? My SEGA Genesis (t'is not actually that old) didn't survive a hammer.

Last edited by demos_kratos (07/30/11 19:07)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#16 07/30/11 19:07

Lithium

Don't forget the NES as well. That thing had a huge problem reading the games.

#17 07/31/11 17:07

kyletm57

Thanks for the suggestion kratos, I've been looking into how to fix it myself and there are many step by step tutorials on how to take it apart, so i'll try it as soon as i have time.

banner2440.jpg

Board footer