Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/21/11 02:07

Sharoduinn

Onlive

As a foreword; I haven't mutated into a spambot, honest tongue

Online is a service that let's you play all kinds of games via teh net, they call it cloudgaming.
Basically all you need is a good net connection, the machines in onlive's secret base (or whatever) do all of the processing. That means a crappy computer can run modern games like Homefront on max settings (!)
The best thing is that it's for both windows and Mac, and while buying games costs money, you can play 30 minute trials of every game as many times as you want to (that's what I've been doing all the time big_smile ).

You can register and see more stuff at onlive.com
Anyways, that's all the advertising I can manage writing on an iPod (I've been writing this for twenty minutes >.<)

Last edited by Sharoduinn (07/21/11 02:07)

"Sorry about the mess"

#2 07/21/11 03:07

Gumby

Re: Onlive

I own Borderlands for it. Dirk owns a metric boatload of games for it. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 07/21/11 03:07

Sharoduinn

Ah, well... at least it's not only yours and Dirk's secret anymore tongue

How badly does using Onlive mess up your connection? I've noticed that everything else slows the speed down significantly (and the other way round, too)
And how clear does your picture look in onlive? Mine's usually quite fuzzy because of the "high latency" problem it reports after logging in...

"Sorry about the mess"

#4 07/21/11 05:07

Dirk Gently
Website

Not at all, I have had it since about June - August of last year (I am one of their beta testers). Granted you need a decent connection to run it. I have found using my onlive console I get a much clearer picture than from the desktop client, but that might just be the forced 1080i/p instead of 720p. Since you are streaming the game it does require a large chunk of bandwidth, do running another high bandwidth app at the same time it is going to take the hit. you could try setting packet priority on your router for onlive over other things, that may improve your speed and clear up some of the fuzziness.

#5 07/21/11 05:07

Lithium

Heh I figured you'd need a good connection. Oh well back to offline gaming for me :<

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#6 07/21/11 08:07

Bozzman

Onlive sounded pretty cool, but my isp is Comcast. They have a 250GB bandwidth cap per month. Streaming HD video for as much as I game? There's no way it would work out!  hmm

Here take this hypo!

#7 07/21/11 08:07

Dirk Gently
Website

The Amount of data used varies per game. Borderlands uses more than trine for the same period of time. Basically all you get is a video stream that is compressed so much that you can even watch it over 3G on an ipad. You get a video stream and you send an input stream. Depending on location you may think you have input lag, but i have never seen it. Ayway, comcast does not enforce that limitation, you could use 5gb, or 500gb, and nothing will change.

#8 07/21/11 09:07

EdT
Website

I'm also on Onlive.  It seems they have lowered the minimum speed needed to less than 3MB/sec.  Onlive supposedly has agreements with ISP regarding the caps.  Onlive is free, you can demo the games up to 30 minutes at a time.

#9 07/21/11 11:07

Yoriko

So this service will allow you to try out any game on max graphics setting for 30 minutes correct? I'm always very unsure about things that are free and sounds really good. hmm

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#10 07/21/11 15:07

Sharoduinn

Yoriko wrote:

So this service will allow you to try out any game on max graphics setting for 30 minutes correct? I'm always very unsure about things that are free and sounds really good. hmm

Not exactly 'any' game, but they do have a wide selection of games available.

And believe me, although it's too good to be true, it's true (don't mind the small paradox tongue )

"Sorry about the mess"

Board footer