Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/19/11 10:07

Bozzman

Model Viewer?

I have no idea if this is even possible - but it's beyond me. Is there a way to make a sort of model viewer?

It would make texture work a lot faster if I didnt have to find the crate/computer/car/etc in game to check if the textures are being displayed correctly.

What I would be looking for is a display window that shows the model with its linked texture, lets me rotate it freely, and zoom in and out? Possible?

Here take this hypo!

#2 07/19/11 11:07

Lukas Kreator

Re: Model Viewer?

That will require some knowledge of the engine to know how it actually renders graphics, but I think it is completely possible and it is a good idea. I have no experience with 3D graphics rendering or OpenGL, but people like Gumby know a lot about Oni's engine, so I'm sure someone will be able to do it or help you do it or wathever. We just have to write something wich draws models in a way similar to what Oni uses, and then we would just need to make the user able to move, rotate and zoom that model. That is not a lot hard.

Anyway, I'm sure that would help modellers a lot.

#3 07/19/11 12:07

Mukade

Well, we already know it's possible to import character into a model viewer/editor. I could give it a shot myself, and see if I can manage, but don't hold your breath :-/

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#4 07/19/11 13:07

EdT
Website

The only way I know of is to extract the AKEV from a level in this case AKEVEnvWarehouse.oni.  You will get the files EnvWarehouse_bnv, EnvWarehouse_env and EnvWarehouse_obj. 

If you open EnvWarehouse_obj in a 3D program, you will see all the objects in a level.  Pick out the object you want, copy it to a new document, then you can view it with the texture in the 3D program.

#5 07/19/11 14:07

Dirk Gently
Website

It is just a model and a texture. Nothing too diffiult about this hmm

#6 07/19/11 16:07

Iritscen

Dirk Gently wrote:

It is just a model and a texture. Nothing too diffiult about this hmm

Huh?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 07/19/11 16:07

Dirk Gently
Website

To make a viewer. (windows: download glut and a opengl framework) (mac: ignore this step as you already have both). then go find yourself a model parsing library. From there it is all copy paste. Anyone could do this in a few hours.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (07/19/11 16:07)

#8 07/19/11 16:07

Iritscen

Well, it's probably easier to just export the environment as EdT described and import the furniture into one's modeler of choice.  There's really no need for a model viewer.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#9 07/19/11 16:07

Dirk Gently
Website

tbh, you should be able to reload textures in model editors. I know photoshop CS5 supports obj+texturemapping.

#10 07/19/11 17:07

Gumby

There was at one time. I don't know what options are still available. But yeah, just export and view.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer