Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/03/11 13:07

Ekzorcist

Maybe something new?

Hi. I'm new here, so I don't really know what are you capable of,but is that possible to make wallruning in Oni?
Is that possible to make wallrun shooting? I mean - you stand face to wall, click W+Spacebar and you are running on the wall and then jump off. The same with horizontal wall runing (Press W+Spacebar when the character stands diagonal against the wall while running forward)
It would be great move to dodge bullets and some attacks.
And this move could be used only by Konoko, Fury, Muro and Ninjas.

If it is possible, can somebody make something like that? ^^
Please don't judge this idea so badly, if wallruning is not possible, cuz I really dont know what are you capable of, guys.

#2 07/03/11 16:07

Jon God

Re: Maybe something new?

I would love to see that in Oni.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#3 07/03/11 17:07

Lithium

If it is possible, it would be too awesome for us to pull it off correctly :V

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 07/03/11 17:07

Iritscen

Wow, no one's ever suggested that before.  Maybe paradox or Loser could think of a way; it's probably beyond everyone else's abilities to even think about.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 07/03/11 17:07

Samer
Website

mm :\ i read it before on the forum .. like prince of persia ...

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#6 07/03/11 19:07

Yoriko

Speaking of increased mobility: I believe there's one point in the game where an enemy can actually chase you across a gap.
The second ninja on the rooftop level jumps over the gap to continue the pursuit if you run for the mercenary sniper first. Is that ability written in the AI's pathfinding or how does he do that? Could it be in the pathfinding grid to activate a jump there? If so is it possible to create jumping pathfinding grids to let the enemy pursue you on higher levels by jumping after you. Could those pathfinding grids be automatically regenerated?

Last edited by Yoriko (07/03/11 19:07)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#7 07/03/11 20:07

Gumby

Not without source modification, no.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 07/04/11 03:07

Ekzorcist

well, if it's possible, what should i know? i mean, some programs, or programing codes... i could learn them and try it myself. smile i do understand that it's hard, but i really want to see wallruing in oni. and for now, i have plenty of time, so can anybody tell what should i learn to make some progress in this? smile

#9 07/04/11 05:07

paradox-01

About the wall run thing I'm not sure whether this can turn out nicely if at all. Depends on the possibility of new jump directions and maybe more.
- In theory you need something to determine that the player is near the wall. Probably we've only trigger volumes for that. (One thin TV for each wall where wall running is desired.)
- Then you would need chr_wait_animtype / chr_wait_animtype / chr_wait_animstate to check the current animation. If forward diagonal jumps are possible then that can be hint for the script what wall run animation to play next.
Total requirements: bsl (script), xml (TV) (1) (2) , xsi (animation) (1) (2) (3) plus portions of luck.

#10 07/04/11 09:07

Ekzorcist

thanks, paradox! i've read some bit, and think it's possible. but it's only my opinion. i'll start learning and then i'll see is it possible for me or not. smile

#11 07/04/11 19:07

Dirk Gently
Website

I guess it is theoretically possible if we had access to the source.

#12 07/05/11 19:07

Gumby

Paradox: You'd still need to test for orientation of the wall.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#13 07/05/11 21:07

Mukade

That sounds incredibly complex, sounds like you might be able to do it MAYBE as proof of concept, but nothing practical

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#14 07/06/11 04:07

paradox-01

"I'm not sure whether this can turn out nicely" which means if player press wrong keys he will get wrong anim, won't get away from wall with next jump and maybe get shot in back. So my thinking was that he will do it correct in his own interest. -- To make it fool proof we need a new bsl command. chr_debug_character displays facing of a character so we know the data exist. Gumby, with "d_location" you did already similar, didn't you? Maybe you can create a "d_facing" command? Then we could say:
- wallTV1 has fixed facing of 90 degree
- if player jump forward in wallTV1, facing=0(+-15), then allow wall run animation "right"
- if player jump forward in wallTV1, facing=180(+-15), then allow wall run animation "left"

#15 07/06/11 23:07

Mukade

And of course that would involve creating the actual animations, not incredibly hard to do mind you, but making the XML for it might get tricky?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#16 07/07/11 03:07

paradox-01

If there's a problem with available anim types* / allowed combos** in midair i guess you could still use bsl and existing jump attacks (chr_wait_animation + chr_animate).

Last edited by paradox-01 (07/07/11 03:07)

#17 07/07/11 14:07

Yoriko

Yoriko wrote:

Speaking of increased mobility: I believe there's one point in the game where an enemy can actually chase you across a gap.
The second ninja on the rooftop level jumps over the gap to continue the pursuit if you run for the mercenary sniper first. Is that ability written in the AI's pathfinding or how does he do that? Could it be in the pathfinding grid to activate a jump there? If so is it possible to create jumping pathfinding grids to let the enemy pursue you on higher levels by jumping after you. Could those pathfinding grids be automatically regenerated?

I think we should really elaborate on what this guy said and look into whether it's possbile or not.......

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#18 07/07/11 16:07

Mukade

Very intereseting, I'd never seen that before. Just tried it, but he doesn't follow you back, which makes me think it's scripted, and not common behavior. It would be a step forward for AI intelligence in Oni

Last edited by Mukade (07/07/11 16:07)

#19 07/07/11 16:07

Dirk Gently
Website

Pretty sure that can only be done through the source.

#20 07/07/11 17:07

Yoriko

Crap so there's no way it can be adopted and placed wherever one may like then?

#21 07/07/11 17:07

Iritscen

If it's being done with TVs and scripting (haven't had the opportunity to investigate yet), then it can be done anywhere  You just have to place TVs at every ledge and script each AI to respond to the TV being triggered by jumping that ledge (at least, the ones that make the jump).

#22 07/07/11 18:07

Yoriko

Wait, havent you guys thought of this before?

#23 07/07/11 18:07

Iritscen

Okay, I just checked.  When you jump between roofs, you enter a trigger volume which causes the two ninja to run to their "marks", then play back an animation of them jumping across the gap.  It's not so much that no one ever thought of it, but that it's wildly impractical to actually implement.

#24 07/07/11 18:07

Samer
Website

in the rooftops level ... the red ninja jumps after u when u jump for the sniper, the 2 ninjas at end of save point 1 (one would be carrying a vdg) can also jump after u if u jump back to the ledge, the tanker and striker don't though.

i think it's probably something in the Comabt ID, that can be copied from ninja's combat id to other characters.

EDIT : ok scratch that, did a little test it's not the combat ID .. but i found out that also the striker can jump and follow her over a ledge.

Last edited by Samer (07/07/11 18:07)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#25 07/07/11 18:07

Yoriko

Well the ninja is the only character that is faster than Konoko and catch up with her.

Board footer