Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/30/07 15:01

stripeytiger

Melee Weapons?

Do you think melee weapons like swords or batons are possible to implement on the Oni engine?  I mean, I remember seeing a review on Gamespot that said that Oni doesn't have melee weapons.  In fact, the closest you can get to melee weapons in this game is if your gun runs out of ammo and you don't have any more ammo clips for that gun.  In that case, you can swing the gun around "...like a club," (Again, according to the Gamespot review or some other review on the Internet, like Gamefaqs).  In fact, the idea of Konoko and at least one opponent running at each other with swords sounds fascinating to me.

What do you think, guys?

#2 01/30/07 15:01

geyser
Website

Re: Melee Weapons?

HERE's to you, sword lovers.

Batons etc (etc etc) have been addressed HERE.

Not sure about the Oni engine. "Nothing is impossible" smile Melee weapons sure aren't a priority to me...
BTW, you don't have to run out of ammo; just use punch rather than fire1 (default is F).

Last edited by geyser (01/30/07 15:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 01/30/07 17:01

dez_zt

Swords, like in the year 2xxx or so, why? would it make sense?

have you played area51, yeah i know it sucks, but the melee there was great, you had your weapon and you could deliberetly slam and hit everyone in the head with it and so, was an extra key for that i think, so it would add to oni if there was a function of the weapon in fighting, insted of K hitting the same punches with the only difference of the gun in her hands... like hit the striker's head of with a superball big_smile and not just punching him with the gun in your hand.

#4 01/30/07 17:01

geyser
Website

Punching with a "rifle" (two-handed weapon) is already not the same as a regular punch.
There are not many variants, though. See HERE.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 01/30/07 23:01

Tosh
Website

geyser wrote:

Batons etc (etc etc) have been addressed HERE.

Not sure about the Oni engine. "Nothing is impossible" smile Melee weapons sure aren't a priority to me...
BTW, you don't have to run out of ammo; just use punch rather than fire1 (default is F).

I've always wanted to take a hand at it personally, but really the biggest part if not the only part there is the models, and well, I can't model. tongue

#6 01/31/07 06:01

geyser
Website

Actually, models are the least of all problems.
You have to handle collision properly first, and that's not in Oni.
Actually, when you throw a punch while holding a rifle, even though the animation and the damage dealt is special, the rifle goes straight through the opponent, and only the collision with the fist is detected. That is unacceptable with swordfighting/fencing in mind. The only solution for now is to make the sword/baton an extension of Mai's fist. Then collision will be handled properly. Of course, there won't be any slicing: blunt hits, technically the same as heavy punches.
Alternatively, of course, the weapon could have some particles attached to it, that would deal damage upon collision with characters. It would come close to the Ripper (TM) already.

Last edited by geyser (01/31/07 06:01)

#7 01/31/07 10:01

Pierre

and only the collision with the fist is detected

I hope you noticed that this isn't the case in KP. There is one more collision box for the weapon smile

- Pierre

#8 01/31/07 10:01

geyser
Website

Eh? I thought collisions were handled down to the triangle level? smile Or was that only for character/environment collisions?

Oni's weapons have collision boxes too, but they are only enabled when a weapon has its own physics (when falling or lying around, typically).

Last edited by geyser (01/31/07 10:01)

#9 01/31/07 23:01

Tosh
Website

Maybe then there would be a way to detach it on an attack for a moment to check if it's collided with anything but yourself?
Can't think of anything at the moment, though.

#10 02/01/07 03:02

Pierre

Eh? I thought collisions were handled down to the triangle level?  Or was that only for character/environment collisions?

Only for char-vs-env. For char-vs-char, coarse collisions provide better gameplay - surprisingly enough. If you're too accurate, sometimes you punch, the hand misses the opponent by a few pixels, but seen from Konoko's back it looks like you touched him. So it looks like a bug to players, and it gives birth to a very frustrating gameplay.

- Pierre

#11 02/02/07 02:02

Mango

dez_zt wrote:

Swords, like in the year 2xxx or so, why? would it make sense?

Surely you've played Halo 2

Last edited by Mango (02/02/07 02:02)

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#12 02/16/07 06:02

MC Artman

geyser wrote:

Ooh I love Serenity!!! Best Movie EVAH!!!!!!!

Board footer