Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/28/11 17:05

Yoriko

AI with firearms.

Whenever an AI carries a firearm they stand still and shoot at you no matter how close you are to them, however when they use a screaming cannon or SBG they need to retreat in order not to hurt themselves if you get close.
Is it possible for them to adopt this behavior with any weapon so that the AI somehow "thinks" that they'll hurt themselves if they stand still when you come close. In that case the AI could be made to retreat and keep shooting you making it a whole lot harder for you to take opponents guns away from them. wink

Also:

With the AI bullet dodging mod installed they stop firing when getting fired upon and dodge it until you stop firing at which point they resume fire, is it possible to make them continue firing their weapons even when you fire your own? This would make great for blasting and dodging matrix scenes. smile

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#2 05/28/11 18:05

Loser

Re: AI with firearms.

I did lots of experiments dedicated to AI gun behavior.
The behavior described by you in a first paragraph of your post is not suitable for making AI enemies smarter. AI won't shoot during such a backing up as that mechanic is meant to stop AIs from firing point blank suicide shot, which would look really lame (well...can be argued ^_^).

Regarding second part, of course AI is capable of returning gunfire while dodging. See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuAu7jLQQI

The point is almost all new memebers are more interested in fancy graphics, so these old school tricks slowly fade away. And you are yet to witness enemies who can feel you when you touch them ^_^. Ah...good old times...well, bachelor's thesis almost done.

Last edited by Loser (05/28/11 18:05)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#3 05/28/11 19:05

Gumby

...isn't that improvement built into AE now?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 05/29/11 05:05

Yoriko

Gumby wrote:

...isn't that improvement built into AE now?

If you're talking about AI shooting and dogding at the same time, yes but only if you have the upgraded ONCC's modification installed which I usually dont beacause getting my butt kicked makes me cry sad

Loser wrote:

The point is almost all new memebers are more interested in fancy graphics, so these old school tricks slowly fade away. And you are yet to witness enemies who can feel you when you touch them ^_^. Ah...good old times...well, bachelor's thesis almost done.

I havent been on this forum as a member for a long time but I've looked at this forum and followed it's progress a whole lot longer, I think a game developers primary focus should be on the balance, gameplay and most of all combat AI, in fps it's harder to show the quality (or lack of quality) of the AI than in melee games, especially when it comes to open world melee games like Oni.

A little question regarding ninjas with the shadow dash mod installed: Do they know that they can dodge through you? I was fighting Mukade once and at one point he used the shadow dash and dodge through me several times in a row. (until I hit him with an elbow attack) How did you create such a behavior?

Last edited by Yoriko (05/29/11 07:05)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#5 05/29/11 19:05

Gumby

Magic. Seriously, it "just works" somehow.

#6 05/30/11 13:05

Samer
Website

we did know that big_smile the name of the package gives u a hint though, Ninja Shadow Dash.
he increased the height of the pelvis through the move so thru the dash they're actually high above u creating the dash thru u effect.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 05/30/11 13:05

TheCreature

So you can shadow dash through boxes and railings then?  If so, could we apply this to throws?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#8 05/30/11 15:05

Yoriko

There's another thing I'm gonna ask aswell, you cant shadow dash through obstacles or really thin walls, I've also tried dropping a weapon whilst in the shadow state (high in the sky) and it gets dropped on the ground like I was using the normal ninja dodge neutral
Also, when I use the ninja shadow dash whilst fighting enemies without the upgraded ONCC they lose track of me and stop but when I have the upgraded ONCC installed they can calculate where I will appear........

What are you hiding Gumby?

Last edited by Yoriko (05/30/11 15:05)

#9 05/30/11 17:05

Gumby

I'm not hiding anything smile. The location of a character for visual purposes can differ from the location of a character for collision purposes.

#10 05/30/11 18:05

Loser

Gumby: (*gives hypo to Yoriko*) "Here, take it. See? I'm a nice guy. No need for violence!"

Last edited by Loser (05/30/11 18:05)

#11 05/30/11 23:05

TheCreature

So could we change the collision location and keep the visual location without crashing the game, or is that kinda far-fetched?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#12 05/31/11 03:05

Gumby

Umm, not really. The visual location is based on the character location plus an offset.

#13 05/31/11 14:05

Yoriko

So it's possible to create characters that are there but not really there? Help me out here. hmm

Do you mean that a characters appearance can be at a different place than the character itself?

#14 05/31/11 14:05

Dirk Gently
Website

character is standing at X,Y but the collision is at X+c,Y+c due to how collision works.

#15 05/31/11 15:05

Loser

You inspired me, Yoriko, so I went and tried what can be done to make AIs smarter with guns. Quick and dirty BSL way combined with CMBT gave the result - character which can sort of holster and unholster his weapon. So at first you see unarmed enemy, you decide to rush him only to be given a heartwarming welcome gift as the guy pulls out mercury bow. Regardless of damage, you get up and keep tanking clearly going after the gun only to wintess the bastard hiding it away when you get too close and going full contact on you.

Of course, since this is just a workaround, it is not as good as it sounds. But...it works ^_^. Imagine it - you decide to harass civmale. Civmale cries for mercy, you kick him once again. As you close him to finish the job, civmale pulls out SBG, aims at his own feet and pulls the trigger.

Last edited by Loser (05/31/11 16:05)

#16 05/31/11 16:05

Iritscen

AWQcC.jpg
UDgM8.jpg

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#17 05/31/11 18:05

Yoriko

Lol Iritscen big_smile fitting

Is it possible to make the enemy reach for their gun when they're at low health aswell? Like Barabas retreats and regenerates a comguy should retreat and pull out a blackadder.

#18 05/31/11 18:05

Lithium

This man is a visionary. Hmm that would be a little cheap, the bastard already runs and heals a ton in a short time span. Your idea is quite interesting though

Also play the forum game man :V

I always thought it would be cool if we could have make a strike team in a level. Like script a bunch of snipers in the TCTF HQ, would look like a great assault

Last edited by Lithium (05/31/11 18:05)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#19 05/31/11 18:05

Yoriko

I dont mean Barabas should be able to holster and unholster his bigass gun, read my post carefully.

What do you mean with the forum game?

#20 05/31/11 18:05

Lithium

In the anything but Oni section bro smile

Oh ok I misread your post, sorry

#21 06/01/11 15:06

Yoriko

Why would it be in the anything but Oni section anyway? It seems very Oni related to me. hmm

Btw Oxe I'm using a dark theme muhahahahaha! lol

Last edited by Yoriko (06/01/11 15:06)

#22 06/12/11 10:06

seanparkerfilms

Gumby wrote:

I'm not hiding anything smile. The location of a character for visual purposes can differ from the location of a character for collision purposes.

Pretty interesting. It could definitely work on throws to make people go a little airborne (go over railings, land on top of boxes, etc.) -- the only strange thing that could happen is that if someone was shooting someone who was in the middle of being thrown, wouldn't that mean they would have to aim away from the actual character model and it would look like they're just shooting the empty air (yet actually doing real damage)? AI would probably handle it fine but it could be a little irritating if you were the one trying to shoot, since you'd have to figure out where the character actually is. In that split-second of time you might not even have enough time to react properly, and a well-aimed Mercury Bow that normally would have hit them would pass right through the character model leaving them unharmed -- aside from the throw, of course!

Probably not that big a deal though, since this would be a fairly rare case.

#23 06/12/11 22:06

Lithium

Can't we add some physical gun attacks tha- Oh yeah we already have those -.-'

#24 06/13/11 03:06

Yoriko

seanparkerfilms wrote:

Pretty interesting. It could definitely work on throws to make people go a little airborne (go over railings, land on top of boxes, etc.)

Making enemies go over obstacles and land on top of them has already been tried out using particle combined with TRAM hacks (Loser can give you the details once hes done with his studies) demos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtbHqbfLTE

#25 06/13/11 13:06

Lithium

That would be great ingame but they fly way too far and they do this weird slide when they land. It's a nice idea, but I can't think of a lot of places where it would be particularly useful. Also positioning yourself and the enemy would also be difficult.

Board footer