Re: Oni 2

Thorson is dead

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#177 04/27/11 11:04

Sharoduinn

oxe161 wrote:

Thorson is dead

Noo!!1!1 How dare you say my favorite character is dead without any proof? sad sad sad

"Sorry about the mess"

#178 04/27/11 11:04

Lithium

I shot him :V

#179 04/27/11 11:04

Masterweaver

Again, mechanics versus aesthetics. Thorsten the game construct probably died, but Thorsten the character was felled in a facility with loads and loads of helpful scientists. Somebody could easily have revived him off screen...

Also, on Shinitama being dead... she survived being blown up. Granted, if she does make it into the sequel, she shouldn't be "revealed" until at least midgame, otherwise we completely ruin her pathos. And she should be psychologically scarred...

#180 04/27/11 11:04

Sharoduinn

A subplot where you have to restore Shini's memory?

"Sorry about the mess"

#181 04/27/11 11:04

Lithium

It would ruin her death. Oh who cares if she died twice, we can revive her!
Makes more sense to have her dead, she was barely in a stable condition even after her first death

#182 04/27/11 12:04

Sharoduinn

True... but at least some kind of reference to her would be nice

"Sorry about the mess"

#183 04/27/11 12:04

Yoriko

Karen isnt dead big_smile
She could help Konoko in some way

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#184 04/27/11 12:04

Lithium

Let's say all of them died in the TCTF HQ explosion and that all remains of them are just gone and only Konoko and few TCTFs remain.

#185 04/27/11 15:04

Leus
Website

Yeah no way Thorson survives that level.

Griffin, it's too possible for him to have been killed so I think having him alive in the next game isn't fair.

Shinitama, I think it only makes sense that she comes back.  I understand the idea that it might cheapen her death, but really, it'd be so hard to kill an AI.  You'd have to completely destroy the entire database.  Maybe Oni 2 could play off her immortality by having her come back with a way more badass attitude or something, lol.  Maybe she could come back as ShiniBot and kick some ass!  smile

Mukade, like I said, had too much unsolved mystery.  It'd be nice to see him again.  And Hasegawa was equally unsolved.  Isn't it often suggested that Mukade IS Hasegawa?

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#186 04/27/11 15:04

TheCreature

Shinitama comes back and fully realizes her potential...  An army of immortal ShiniBots rule the world!

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#187 04/27/11 15:04

Delano762
Website

TheCreature wrote:

Shinitama comes back and fully realizes her potential...  An army of immortal ShiniBots rule the world!

Damn, this topic is going somewhat... TOO far.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#188 04/27/11 15:04

Samer
Website

SHINIBOT YEAH big_smile big_smile ... i didn't even read the topic big_smile but yeah big_smile ! go shinibot ^_^
and let james come back ... and kerr in an advanced suit big_smile and griffin with a chrysalis big_smile and casey ^^ and Barabas in a more bad ass suit ^_^ and throw in kojiro and grey fury big_smile
tongue i'd want to play that tongue

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#189 04/27/11 16:04

Lithium

If she were to come back a database would seem better. She doesn't fit for combat, her AI could be hardwired to a computer and could contact Konoko. Similar to Vin in the Jak, in Jak 2 Vin was a physical being but after the metal head invasion he hid himself inside his computer and he lives on through there.

#190 04/27/11 16:04

Samer
Website

she's an SLD .. she has all konokos memories and info, meaning she would know her moves. if she got rebuilt in a different body (shinibot) she would fit for combat, tankers are SLDs .. i see no reason why she wouldn't fit for combat :\

#191 04/27/11 16:04

Lithium

I don't know she seems to juvenile to be fighting. Tankers are full grown adults and modeled after a wrestling fanatic, Shini is a girl, I don't really think she would fit going around killing people. But that's my 2 cents

#192 04/27/11 16:04

Jon God

Masterweaver wrote:

Why not get a new cast? Well, I'll tell you: I don't view the Oni series to be episodic.

IF you want to make a sequel that is tied to the original, then you have to bring back at least a third of the cast in the previous installment. General rule of thumb. And I think there's roughly about twelve characters... only Mai and Hasegawa are definitely not dead, and we need two others. Shinitama is obvious, as the game was influenced by the Ghost in the Machine manganime. Who the other character could be is a matter for debate, though Mukade has the obvious selling potential of being cool and the plot potential of being mysterious but defined.

A. If you want Oni to not be episodic, why are you talking about a second game?

B. What rule of thumb is this? I've seen many forms of media ignore this rule and make fine sequels; you just need to make the game good, and have characters that make sense, return.

C. All the deaths in Oni meant something, in my opinion. Sort of to show that all the people Konoko gets in contact with end up dead by the end of the game, in tune with the fact that she could be considered some type of 'monster' by some. The idea of bringing some/all of these people back makes the story less serious, or interesting, in my opinion. Who I mean, who cares anymore when anyone you kill, or if you yourself are killed, you can be brought back? It kinda takes any kind of deaths, or loss out of the picture.

D. Do you not think that if Mukade was brought back, he'd turn out to be kinda disappointing? I mean a lot of people like him because he was mysterious, so bringing him back to explain more, seems like it might make people not like him as much. And if you are bringing him back just to have a mysterious character, instead, why not make someone new, and mysterious?

My 2¢.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#193 04/27/11 16:04

Lithium

Looks like i'm the only one else that thinks like Jon God hmm

#194 04/27/11 16:04

Samer
Website

btw ... why are we talking about oni2 ? i thought it was very clear that there's never going to be an oni2 :\

#195 04/27/11 16:04

TheCreature

Well, wen it's all laid out like that, I'd have to agree with Jon god as well.

Although there's still Hasegawa.  We don't know if he's actually dead or not.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#196 04/27/11 17:04

Gumby

Samer wrote:

btw ... why are we talking about oni2 ? i thought it was very clear that there's never going to be an oni2 :\

Maybe. I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to advance the Oni community's agenda.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#197 04/27/11 20:04

Leus
Website

It's just concepts, maybe one day we'll put it into action...  Once we have the ability to make full custom levels and with all the new custom content, it's totally feasible, even with the same engine.  At least an awesome expansion pack is possible.  smile

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#198 04/27/11 20:04

Lithium

Also I love sharing our ideas here, it's really the only forum I go to that's small and not filled with too many morons...don't point out who the moron is btw. sad

#199 04/27/11 22:04

Masterweaver

There's already a Shinibot. Her name's Hikari. Granted she's a fan construct and her personalyity is different enough that she could be argued to be a new person...

A. There's a difference between being episodic and having a myth arc.
B. Yeah, okay, I made it up. But it's a rule of thumb; usually true, not always.
C. People come back from the dead in fiction. IT DOES NOT LESSEN THE IMPACT OF THEIR DEATH. Yes, we can't bring everybody back, but that's why we have to be very careful.
D. Mukade can be brought back and still be mysterious. Just because he's there doesn't mean he has to explain why he's there. Heck, Mai could confront right out and he'd probably just ignore the question!

#200 04/28/11 21:04

Lithium

While that may be true I just don't see Shini coming back. They're limited to resources after the mess Muro did so they can't really make a Robo-Shini. Also Robo-Shini sounds very unreal and ridiculous in the long run. Also about the Barabas and Mukade this is what I would see if I were to have part in an Oni 2.

120px-TXMPBOSS1nametag.png
So we can assume Barabas was kept alive but kept in captivity by the TCTF. So maybe during the panic at the end of the game he escaped from captivity, knowing his character he would have sought out Mai to challenge her one last time. Of course he would lose, but later he confronts someone...

120px-TXMPBOSS2nametag.png
Ok so let's say Mukade did survive but was only knocked out by Mai. I would make Mukade just stay in the shadows until the chaos starts. He would too seek out Mai to prove his skills or challenge her for the thrill of battle, but he would confront someone first.

I would want to have Mukade and Barabas meet up and exchange some dialogue. Maybe they get along well, maybe Mukade scorns Barabas for being weaker. The two would begin a battle, which Mukade would be winning when Mai shows up. Barabas spotting her would try to attack her but Mukade would stop him and knock him out for a while. Then Mukade would proceed to fight Mai, this time he gains the upper hand and beats her. He wouldn't kill her but tell her she has much to improve on and then he would run away.

I would say this because in the first fight Mukade seemed playful with Mai and underestimated her, but the second time he would give it his all. Barabas being sad that he can't beat Mukade nor Mai flies away and never comes back.

That's just my take on this.

Last edited by Lithium (04/28/11 21:04)

Board footer