Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/14/08 17:12

EdT
Website

Wanted: New music for Oni

Since it is possible to add new music (and sounds) to Oni, I'm asking the community for help in finding music that will fit Oni.

Please provide a link to the webpage that has the music (Note: Do Not hot link directly to the music file and also pay attention to the use of the music.)

Hopefully, in this thread, the community can also rate the music, so we can arrive at a general agreement. Then I can work on creating the files for all to enjoy.

----------------

For those interested in adding their own music to Oni, you will need to create the following types of files with the Anniversary Edition:

OSBD_newmusic.amb.oni (The main file, links to the group, intro and ending files)
OSBD_newmusic.grp.oni (Contain links to the music files)
OSBD_newmusic_in.grp.oni (Links to intro part of the music - Optional)
OSBD_newmusic_out.grp.oni (Links to the ending of the music - Optional)
SNDD_newmusic1.oni (The individual music files - Its best to break up the music into segments of perhaps 30 secs to a minute each - Oni may crash or become sluggish if you use a single file for the music)

For the OSBD files, look for some original ones in the level0_Final folder and duplicate and rename them to fit your song.  Open the OSBD files in a hex editor and change the file name and links.  Be sure to overwrite the existing information and not insert or delete data, as it will change the file size.

To import the music into Oni, get the latest version of OniSplit 0.9.34 http://cid-639aa31296681bfe.skydrive.li … 0.9.34.zip

The music needs to be converted to the following format:
-WAV files (.wav, mono/stereo, 22.05KHz/44.1KHz, uncompressed(PCM)/compressed(MS-ADPCM)) produce SNDD files that are compatible with Oni PC retail.
-AIFC files (.aif/.aifc/.afc, mono/stereo 22.05KHz, compressed(ima4)) produce SNDD files that are compatible with Oni Mac.

Use the basic command: (modify to fit your setup)

OniSplit -create out_dir test.aif
OniSplit -create out_dir test.wav

Put all the files into the level0_Final folder and recombine.  To hear the music, use the script command: sound_music_start newmusic (name of the song), hopefully, if everything is done correctly, you will hear the music!

Last edited by EdT (12/15/08 15:12)

#2 12/14/08 19:12

Barneyhater
Website

Re: Wanted: New music for Oni

Are there any particular rules for what music we can choose? Like, no lyrics/lyrics, Japanese/English, Rock/Heavy Metal? And how long should the song be?

Last edited by Barneyhater (12/14/08 19:12)

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#3 12/15/08 01:12

Gumby

I'm not EdT, but as long as you think it "fits" it should be fine. And if a song is too long we can trim it.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 12/15/08 06:12

ItemfinderDeluxe

Does it matter about the particulars of where the song came from (ie. not stealing songs, no songs from particular places, etc)?

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#5 12/15/08 15:12

EdT
Website

We would need to use legal license free music for the community.  But if you want to personally add your own favorite music to Oni, you can. but you can't legally share it with others.

Again, the basic criteria is that the music "fits" Oni and that we can legally use and share the music.

#6 12/15/08 16:12

AdamBast

DnB music goes very well with Oni.
There's a free netlabel called T-Free. You can use their music, all they ask is to mention the source.
But I don't think any of you like DnB... sad

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#7 12/15/08 18:12

ONIrules

Finally!! I've been waiting for this!

#8 12/23/08 16:12

A8D

Just now I am listening to the album 'Remixed' by Shpongle, and I am thinking that music resembling to some of the tracks would sound great in Oni... but the problem is of course finding music that is free of rights.

I know another website where there is free music, although I've never really browsed it until now, called Jamendo just in case. I can put more links of free music websites if you want.

Where there's a will for Oni II, there's a way !

#9 12/23/08 19:12

EdT
Website

Can you provide specific song titles that you think would fit Oni, then the rest of us can listen to it

#10 12/23/08 22:12

Iritscen

Belated response to AdamBast which happens to be an answer to EdT too: I agree, some of that T-FREE music would work well with Oni.  Some of it is probably too fast or too high energy to be used for very long, but of course Oni never plays a whole track through at once, or for the length of the whole level, so some of these might sound good for certain scenes (areas) with lots of action in the game.

If others want to check out the tracks Sidewinder, Dominator (sounds a lot like some existing Oni music!), Isolation, Killing Fields, Labyrinth, Militant Mutants, Combustion, The Internal, and Team -- I haven't scanned through all of them yet, but these seem like good candidates that have an Oni-ish vibe.

Some of these have sampled soundbites in them (talking), so I don't know if that would fit with Oni, but we don't have to use those parts; parts of some original Oni scores were never used in the whole game.  Also, a lot of the tracks, like Supernatural, would be suitable if we could only slow them down a bit smile  They move at break-neck speeds.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#11 12/24/08 17:12

AdamBast

Iritscen wrote:

...Also, a lot of the tracks, like Supernatural, would be suitable if we could only slow them down a bit smile  They move at break-neck speeds.

I don't think the artists would mind if we'd slow down those tracks.

My choices were:
Mechanical Heroes
Sonic Boom
Kisum
Supernatural
Australian (Fading suns rmx)

The last 2 are my favorites.

Iritscen wrote:

I haven't scanned through all of them yet...

Me either. There are plenty of tunes, and I have other music to listen to.

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#12 12/28/08 16:12

AdamBast

I made a new post instead of editing.
So:
If you want some ambient music there's another free netlabel. This one is called Kikapu
The label is "dead", it closed in 2008, but you still can download the releases through Archive.org.
Test it if you're interested.

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#13 12/28/08 21:12

Lithium

I use some techno music when i play, but i have to have my Ps2,dvd, and tv, turned on at the same time. So you can see how bad console versions are compared to computer versions

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#14 04/24/11 05:04

paradox-01

Recently adding voice was mentioned on the LMAS! thread so I decided to wikify some information for the case your are really going to do it.

If you have further information on sounds that should be added you can do it there. E.g. some audio converters would be good. Is there such freeware for mac? (see file requirements) On PC side I could only find a program that takes files with less than 4 minutes.

PS: And uhm ... the Easter bunnyan lost an egg in Oni. Can you find it?
Happy Easter!

Last edited by paradox-01 (04/24/11 05:04)

#15 04/24/11 05:04

Samer
Website

FormatFactory . converts all types of sounds, videos and pictures for PC http://www.pcfreetime.com/  it's a freeware

btw maybe there should be a tutorial on editing the sounds of super moves and taunts ... like discussed on the various character project thread.

btw i didn't know about the aif and wav thing for mac and pc :\ for hayate i converted from wav. does that mean i have to convert the wav to aif then to oni for it to work in mac ? what wold happen on mac if the origin is wav ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#16 04/24/11 06:04

TOCS

Time to install FL Studio, again! smile

#17 04/24/11 10:04

EdT
Website

Audacity is a free cross platform audio editor: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

#18 04/24/11 10:04

Dirk Gently
Website

in terminal type
afconvert -f AIFC -d ima4@22050 -c N ~/Desktop/music.wav ~/Desktop/converted.aif
Where "N" is the number of channels it has, most things in Oni have 1 channel, but some have 2 so that needs to change depending on what you are converting.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (04/24/11 14:04)

#19 04/24/11 13:04

paradox-01

"what would happen on mac if the origin is wav ?" Mac version of Oni refuses to start with such installed sounds.

On FormatFactory I couldn't find *compressed* aif so I went on to Audacity. That thing needs an addidional library (or whatever it is called, will later write it on the wiki).

"How to register sounds to characters" is now at the wiki. If you find something unclear/wrong let me know.

Then I tried Dirks terminal command. Somehow I failed in doing it right. But I think that this would be a great addon for AETools. In the meantime (uhm, tomorrow) I will test Audacity for Mac and see if it works there too.

Well, thank you guys for the input. smile

#20 04/24/11 14:04

Dirk Gently
Website

if you are running snow leopard or leopard, then it will work.

#21 04/24/11 20:04

Iritscen

paradox-01 wrote:

I can hear it, but I can't see it.  It's just a white texture.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#22 04/25/11 05:04

paradox-01

Is there someone else seeing a white texture?

Last edited by paradox-01 (04/25/11 05:04)

#23 04/25/11 16:04

Lithium

Where is it so that I may tell if it's working?
Uh on second though, I'll just look for it.

Iritscen wrote:
paradox-01 wrote:

I can hear it, but I can't see it.  It's just a white texture.

So it plays a sound?

#24 04/25/11 16:04

Lithium

DOUBLE POST FOR GREAT JUSTICE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09GjNINvAAU
smile

#25 04/25/11 16:04

DarkLitria
Website