Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/06/11 15:03

Hockler

ONI won't start

Hello there,

I am a newbie on the forum. I just installed ONI on my PC (Vista) and I can't play for a weird reason : kind of weird as the game launches but stops after a couple of seconds and an error message pops up and says I need the original CD in the driver... but the original CD is indeed in the driver !

Please help !

Thx,

H

#2 03/06/11 15:03

TheCreature

Re: ONI won't start

I've never had this problem personally, but it sounds like you need the Daodan:  http://mods.oni2.net/node/233

From what I've heard, that fixes a lot of Oni's problems on Windows.

[Replaced link to old Daodan with new one. Thus, the conversation below is not representative of the DLL found at the link above. -I]

Last edited by Iritscen (01/23/13 22:01)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 03/06/11 17:03

Hockler

Thx for the help.

Ok, I just downloaded the daodan.zip and copied both new files in my Oni folder. Now, when I launch the oni.exe, I have another error message :

the Application could not initialize correctly (0xc0150002). Click OK to stop the application.

Any idea ?

Thx !

#4 03/06/11 17:03

TheCreature

Not sure.  I'm not a windows user, so a lot of this is just what I've heard, and guesswork.  You might try looking around the forum here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Make sure you're running Oni from the administrator side of the computer.  Oni creates several file in it's folder the first time you run it, and if you're not an admin. it can't create those files.  (This shouldn't be a problem if you've only got one user)

And by the way:  Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your stay, and try out a few mods while you're here.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#5 03/06/11 19:03

Gumby

Post your startup.txt.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 03/07/11 01:03

Hockler

TheCreature wrote:

And by the way:  Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your stay, and try out a few mods while you're here.

Thx, will do... when I can have ONI working ;o)

I cannot post mys startup.txt as the game did not create it... I have never been able to launch the game once yikes(

#7 03/07/11 14:03

Gumby

That's...odd...

#8 03/07/11 17:03

Lukas Kreator

Welcome!

Maybe I'm wrong, but it *might* have something do to with the drive letter of your CD driver, regarding what you said in the first post. However, I don't know how ONI works or checks for files, so I cannot say for sure.

In any case, telling us that letter could be usefull, or you could wait for someone to agree or disagree with me.

#9 03/07/11 17:03

Hockler

My CD rom letter is E: and I installed ONI on C: which is my hard drive.

#10 03/07/11 20:03

Lukas Kreator

Hmm... Even if that was the problem, it wouldn't explain why Oni with Daodan gave a different error. Yet, it would be possible that these messages are related in some way...

If you maybe tried installing this copy of Oni in another computer and it didn't work, it might mean the CD files are corrupted... What would explain a possible lack of files, what would explain why Oni crashes after some seconds of loading, but I am not sure.

I hope my theories help Gumby and the others, as I am not used to how Oni works internally.

EDIT: Researched more and found some recommendations:
- NET Framework 1.1 (Improbable, but a lot of sites point to this)
- Hardware?
- Ram?

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (03/07/11 20:03)

#11 03/08/11 01:03

Gumby

I'm not sure. sad It shouldn't be .NET. Try http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.east/Oni.exe

#12 03/08/11 01:03

Hockler

Thx for the helps folk. Gumby, I just tried your file and I still have the same error message as in my post #3.

Lukas, I will check your link.

Thanks again for your help. I have to admit I want to play ONI now even more as it is resisting to run yikes)

EDIT

Hahahahahaha... folks, it now runs !

Apparently, the daodan files I downloaded the first time were corrupted. I downloaded them manually from links in a post in another thread (Gumby posted 2 different links to get the ONI.EXE and the BINKW32.DLL separately and not in the same zip file). I did copy them in my folders and TADA !

Now, it plays in a small window and I did not get the introducing video. I think I saw a thread related to these issues on the forum. I will search the forum and keep you posted. Cheers !

Last edited by Hockler (03/08/11 01:03)

#13 03/08/11 11:03

Lukas Kreator

That's good! big_smile

For the window size, did you try the menu on top of the window? It should have a Fullscreen option, at least for me.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (03/08/11 11:03)

#14 03/08/11 12:03

Gumby

Ok, so somebody messed up the upload. File corruption hooray. I'll reupload everything tonight. To get fullscreen, make a batch file that runs "Oni.exe -switch"

#15 03/08/11 17:03

Hockler

Gotcha Gumby. Thx again,  you are a ONI hero:)

I will give it a try later as it is time for bet now. Cheers.

Board footer