Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/24/07 09:10

Iritscen

New models?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I glanced at the wiki and didn't see this addressed.  Can you make custom models in Oni, new characters that can be used by a script?  And what kind of polygon limits does Oni impose on the models?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 10/24/07 10:10

Magus
Website

Re: New models?

about the only thing I could find that was all related was something geyser posted

geyser wrote:

OK, Neo authorized me to make the thing public, so here it is: http://geyser.oni2.net/proggies/OniBrowser.zip
As I said, it renders all anims with the TCTF Konoko body set at the moment. And it needs the following:
NET framework: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
XNA framework: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

As for doing it from within Oni, you need to get familiar with the Developer Mode first.
The easiest way to get it up and going is the Daodan DLL: http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.east/
Put vtuneapi.dll into you Oni folder and run Oni. If it complains, just get the EXE as well.
Then you'll get a few bug fixes and a bunch of new cheats, including the Developer Mode.
The cheat is either "thedayismine" or "x". Back ingame, a whole lot of options are available.
See here for an overview (unfortunately not too up-to-date): http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/thedayismine

The thing you'll use the most for frame-by-frame animating is the console and 2 hotkeys.
The hotkeys are [ and ] on a US keyboard but don't touch them yet unless you have strong nerves smile
First, get familiar with turning the console on and off and try inputting some basic commands.

Like, you can enter invincible= 1 (same as "liveforever" cheat), then invincible= 0
Next, try entering gs_show_environment= 0, then gs_show_environment= 1
Also try sky_show_sky= 0, and then sky_show_sky= 1. Nice black sky smile
You can use that black screen as is, since the character will never be fully black (fog).
If you want a green screen or something like that, you'll have to tweak some more.
I used a yellow screen to get this image: http://geyser.oni2.net/oni2/misc/morpho.jpg

Now let's get to the animating. Do chr_pin_character= 1. Do NOT jump smile
Now hit "]". The current animation and frame of your character will be frozen.
You can see the name and frame if you enter chr_debug_characters= 1
Now if you hit "[" repeatedly, the current anim will loop, one frame at a time.
Manual camera control is obtained with Enter (do you have a numpad?)

Enter cm_orbit 1 1 with a frozen anim to get into orbit mode:
the mouse lets you rotate the camera around Konoko during a frame
(actually, it's Konoko turning, but the rendering of her body is frozen)
You can then tweak cm_canter_unarmed and cm_height
(same as above, but they're floating-point variables)

Tell me if this helps. If you have further questions, just ask.

EDIT: PM acknowledged, but the talk is likely to stay public.

Though that seems more geared towards making use of what's there instead of adding replacing...

Only references I could find to customizing and editing concerned levels/maps, to which the original developers of the game basically said... don't bother...

Last edited by Magus (10/24/07 10:10)

The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.
- Sun Tzu

#3 10/25/07 13:10

Iritscen

Hmm, that would let you view the existing models from every angle, but it looks like that's it.  I was also wondering about adding new sounds to then call from a script.  I see that a lot of the data in Oni has been hacked, or mapped out.  Would replacing some data with other data do the trick?  Is that what OniUnPacker does?  I have to try it out at some point, I guess; not a simple thing seeing as I use a Mac, but we'll see if CrossOver can handle it.

I guess I'm just surprised that there are efforts to make new/utilize existing engines for the game, which is a ton of work, but I don't see anyone creating new scenarios (read: total conversions, not writing scripts for pre-existing levels/char.s) and still using the existing Oni application to run them.  I would think that wouldn't be harder than rewriting the game from scratch!  But what do I know, I'm a noob here...

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 10/25/07 16:10

Magus
Website

Well my idea behind modding a currently popular online game actually had several reasons
the first obviously being just to make some new oni content of any kind
the second to draw some momentum from a active gamer market, the first I could do dealing directly with the original game.
The second means finding a modable game with a huge active community. Since realistically if everything went perfectly with it, the best you could expect at least up front is a small group of die hards. That was another reason I was leaning towards counterstrike, those guys follow each other around to new servers and are always up for new mods.

The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.
- Sun Tzu

#5 11/10/07 13:11

geyser
Website

Sound import: feasible, but not currently supported by OUP. You can handle it with the RAW importer and some manual tweaking of the SNDD header. I haven't focused on sounds much because those that are there are OK and upgrading Oni is more about gameplay than about new sound content (not to mention inconsistent voice acting).

Mesh import: our knowledge of Oni's meshes is complete, but importing requires some masochistic binary work at the moment: for one thing you have to import the subresources of a mesh separately, even if you have a tool that authors them in Oni's binary format from an external mesh.
Another issue is that Oni stores dynamic meshes as triangle strips (both for storage and performance), and without a stripping algorithm a decently high-poly model (say, 3000 polygons) is likely to make the game lag more than usual. The main load on the engine comes from the characters.
That said, it's completely possible to import new humanoid models into Oni, even though ATM the only (reasonably easy) way is to replace an existing model. As for adding new ones, it could become possible in the future, either by means of OUP or of the Daodan DLL.

Generating new environments has different issues: first, Oni's levels have baked vertex shading. If you make new levels or modify existing ones you'd have to handle vertex shading that same way, which is a bit outdated. About the only matching tool ATM is DelEd.
There are also obvious issues with visibility and pathfinding. There's much more to a level than the 3D geometry, and although some of the stuff can be generated automatically (e.g., the visibility tree), things like pathfinding graphs keep big levels rather dissuasive.
It would be relatively easy to import small, arena-like levels, though.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

Board footer