Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/24/11 14:01

justaquestionactually

Question ?

Im a novice in those things, i was interested in "computer stuff" for a while now (over 13 years), but never got to REALLY master any graphic/programming/scripting program. Now i wanna change that, i want to try some 3D modeling, but i don't know what software should i use.
I won't really have a problem, if it's advanced and such, im sure i'll do fine with some tutorials. It's just that i don't wanna use some overcomplicated program, and i can't really decide. So i wanna ask you guys, what do you prefer to use ?
I was using XSI for like 2 days, but after reading some opinions i heard it's overcomplicated even when you wanna do the simple stuff. Im not really sure, all i wanna do is some charecter modeling and such, i have no idea what to pick.

Sorry if this is the wrong board, didn't know where to put it.

Last edited by justaquestionactually (01/24/11 14:01)

#2 01/24/11 14:01

TOCS

Re: Question ?

I'm not really into all the modelling stuff, but I guess you could try Blender.

#3 01/24/11 15:01

Venom3

I'm using Autodesk 3Ds max, and it's, in my opinion, the best 3D Modelling program I've ever used. Of course It's not very easy at first, but I work with it about 1 month and now I know much about it and I'm able to create advanced models. wink

#4 01/24/11 16:01

EdT
Website

If you want to make models or levels for Oni, XSI Mod Tools is the most compatible when importing them to Oni.

#5 01/24/11 17:01

justaquestionactually

Yeah, well im just trying to learn to make the 3d models, not nessicarely Oni, but i just want a clear and simple program, but yet allowing to make more complex stuff.
Im just confused because i heard a lot complaining about XSI and it's overcomplication, and i don't wanna waste my time to learn XSI when there is a better and simpler software out there.

#6 01/24/11 18:01

Iritscen

There are people who will complain about any 3D modeler, because none of the ones worth learning are quick to learn.  "Better and simpler" just does not exist.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 01/25/11 05:01

Delano762
Website

Heck, I'm making that machinima in Gmod with default TCTF Konoko model, and IMO, she deserves a WAY better model in Gmod. Let's say I have basically no idea about modelling, but I want to do some modelling. Question is: Where should I start at?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#8 01/25/11 05:01

UpalStanka

Hi justaquestionactually, if you need a simple 3D editor with basic operations, see wings3d (freeware but without animation creation) http://www.wings3d.com or milkshape (try and buy) http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/

Sorry for the links, if not allowed, please remove them.

Last edited by UpalStanka (01/25/11 06:01)

#9 01/25/11 09:01

Iritscen

Upal is right, those are good basic modelers which are easier to learn.  They have far fewer features than XSI, which is basically what I was trying to say earlier: you can't find a modeler that does more, but is also easier.  There has to be a trade-off.  Ultimately the modeler that you have to use will depend on what features you need, but only you can know what your needs are.

Delano: "IMO, she deserves a WAY better model in Gmod."  You know about Leucha's HD Konoko model, right?  If you want to try using it, just start another thread and we'll show you how to extract the model from TRBS.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#10 01/25/11 09:01

justaquestionactually

I made up my mind, for now im going to try the simpler ones just to learn basics, if i'll want some more, i'll use XSI.

Board footer