Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 01/18/11 19:01

Lukas Kreator

Re: Lukas Kreator's XML Editor - Demo Video!

That's doable, but what features, for example?

Like the "In", "Out" and "Edit" buttons?

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/18/11 19:01)

#52 01/18/11 20:01

Gumby

If you want to prevent multiple node editing, there's a magical type of window called a "Modal Window". big_smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#53 01/18/11 20:01

Lukas Kreator

I tried that, but in RealBasic it seems that a modal window weirdly have no window bar, so, no close button, for example.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the "Movable Modal" class tongue

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/18/11 20:01)

#54 01/18/11 20:01

Iritscen

I see that you are closely following the XML file's structure, I didn't realize that.  What I had in mind was a UI that simply lays things out in a way that is user-friendly:
EditorSample.png
I slapped this together hastily, but the idea is that each set of data has its own section, and the window is supposed to have a scrollbar so you can look up and down for the section you want.  Obviously this kind of UI is customized according to resource type (tag), which is why I suggested a plugin format where the UI info is part of the plugin.  If you don't think it's doable, that's okay, but I wanted to clarify what I was suggesting before.

Edit: Updated to show how I would deal with arrays like Weapons Skill.

Last edited by Iritscen (07/23/17 09:07)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#55 01/18/11 20:01

Lukas Kreator

Thanks for the nice drawing smile. I do plan to make the UI more and more user-friendly, wich each version. What I had planned was to show the user a different dialog for each value type, like integers, text, and lists, so the Pattern File is planned to be a very simple .dat file, something like this:

gravity=decimal
name=string
weapon=(w1_tap, w2_sec, etc)
tags=[UsesClip, IsExplosive]

The objective is to make it the easiest possible to do edition, write pattern files, and etc. So the UI should be very clean and easy to use, what means an entire pattern file like this would take too much time to make:

<gravity>
  <x>10</x>
  <y>20</y>
  <type>integer</type>
  <caption>Gravity: </caption>
</gravity>

Would also be hard for begginers, and not support nesting, I'd say. Oh, talking about nesting, there's a possibility I let the user create and remove nodes too, but I don't know...
The plan is to make something similar to what you draw, but divided in several dialogs.

PS: I may also release other programs too, not just this editor, so maybe one day I make something exactly like your drawing, for some specific Oni file type, maybe...

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/18/11 21:01)

#56 01/18/11 21:01

Iritscen

Lukas Kreator wrote:

Thanks for the nice drawing smile. I do plan to make the UI more and more user-friendly, wich each version.

I agree, it's good to start simple and get everything working before making each part more complex.

The objective is to make it the easiest possible to do edition, write pattern files, and etc. So the UI should be very clean and easy to use, what means an entire pattern file like this would take too much time to make:

<gravity>
  <x>10</x>
  <y>20</y>
  <type>integer</type>
  <caption>Gravity: </caption>
</gravity>

I can see from your example that you do know exactly what I mean.  But just to be clear, I was planning on helping you make the plugins.  I know it would be time-consuming for you to do them all personally.  In fact, if we got a few volunteers together to make plugins, it would go quite quickly.

Would also be hard for begginers, and not support nesting, I'd say. Oh, talking about nesting, there's a possibility I let the user create and remove nodes too, but I don't know...

I updated the drawing to show how to deal with the kind of nesting you might be referring to.  You simply cycle forward/back to see the other sub-nodes.

But it's your program, so you should do it the way you want to.  I just felt like illustrating something tonight smile

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#57 01/18/11 21:01

Lukas Kreator

I know it would be time-consuming for you to do them all personally.  In fact, if we got a few volunteers together to make plugins, it would go quite quickly.

Well, the complexity of the patterns depends on the number of volunteers we can find... In fact, I will add even more 'types' of patterns, as you are willing to make some.

I updated the drawing to show how to deal with the kind of nesting you might be referring to.  You simply cycle forward/back to see the other sub-nodes.

That's quite interesting... I didn't realize I had a PagePanel control... That could be useful, but I currently don't have much time, since I plan to develop sufficient functionality until 29th, but I will surely think about that in the future.

But it's your program, so you should do it the way you want to.  I just felt like illustrating something tonight smile

I want this editor to be a reflection of the community, so, every idea is useful. Thanks. wink

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/18/11 21:01)

#58 01/20/11 19:01

Lukas Kreator

I don't have much time to work on my Editor, so I would like to know if my priority should be the Comparator Tab or the OniSplit access.

EDIT: Nevermind... I just implemented the OniSplit access. It was far easier than I tought. Thank you guys for making this so simple...

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/20/11 20:01)

#59 01/21/11 02:01

demos_kratos

Well, well.

User-friendly UI template is already here smile
The only two things I've learned after BE are:
- AU3 is not suited for this kind of apps.
- Thy shall not use regular expressions in XML. Use libs.

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#60 01/21/11 10:01

Dirk Gently
Website

demos_kratos wrote:

Well, well.

User-friendly UI template is already here smile
The only two things I've learned after BE are:
- AU3 is not suited for this kind of apps.
- Thy shall not use regular expressions in XML. Use libs.

Thou shalt always use regex because it is epic tongue

#61 01/21/11 16:01

Lukas Kreator

I like RegEx XD

Anyway, I already have my XML reader class (wich uses no RegEx or Libs, I guess I chose the third option tongue), and I plan to implement the patterns stuff after the first actual release, so I don't know exactly how it will look...

#62 01/21/11 17:01

Gumby

Using a lib is much more reliable...

#63 01/21/11 22:01

Lukas Kreator

Well, all libs are made by someone, and as I couldn't find one, I had to create my own mini-lib, wich has a very stupid reader... To be honest, the editor even converts stuff from the XML to read them properly...

Anyway, after you convert the file to a ONI via OniSplit, and then reconvert to XML, the XML is normal again, what means you should have no problem with the Editor, and OniSplit should also have no problems, even if my reader sucks. Maybe I make it better in the future, but it "works" by now, so it is not something really necessary...

Also, I agree that Libs are better, and that's why I plan to use the Tokenizer to read the pattern files, when I start working on them...

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/21/11 22:01)

#64 01/22/11 00:01

Gumby

#65 01/22/11 11:01

Lukas Kreator

I already know about that class, but didn't won't work on my RB, don't remember why... Besides that my mini-lib 'works' by now, so if I'm changing that code, I'm changing it later, if someone more says it sucks.

Actually, I will give another try on it... Hope it works.

EDIT: Well... It worked this time. Don't remember why it didn't before, I think I missed stuff from the documentation... Anyway, that documentation sucks... tongue

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/22/11 17:01)

Board footer