Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/28/07 20:01

dez_zt

Another idea for Oni 2...

now you might call me nuts, but my idea is about a whole new engine for the game (yeah yeah i know lot of texturing, builds and whatnot, not to mention the minority of not having any story line but that would be the easy part).

You could consider quake 3 as an engine, the source code is free and available just about in every major gamesite, and yo might even call it iMai... smile
I think it's a real good base, never seen it having trouble, but i think this could only be a community thing if it would stand. Anyway in a way of a mod for q3, or a ripped engine, id wouldn't care much about this, since theres atleast 3-400 mods for it, don't know what bungie or whatever would have to say, ripping the caracters and all. Lots of skining, modeling, editing, leveling tools for that game, it was made to be modified in my opinion, but you know you can use q4 if that has a code running around, and you have a powerhouse to play it.

So this is just an idea, and you could ask: can you edit this stuff if you have such a big mouth?
just a little bit, made 3 levels and 36 bots, but the skins werent mine;)
you can always hook up with someone to help you with the programing.

#2 01/29/07 00:01

Loser

Re: Another idea for Oni 2...

It is nice idea, but I don't think it will work. Quake 3 isn't designed for h2h combat. Just look at Jedi knight series-only attacks (slashes), no  real defense (I mean real defense, not that auto-defense junk).Only "defense" is to attack as crazy, making blade be everywhere. There is some h2h in Jedi academy, I have also seen quite a lot of mods that claimed to create "new melee experience". Fake. You cannot block, moves are maybe "realistic" but clumsy and slow and there are no combos...

So let's sum it up: Quake 3 engine is very powerful, with great physics and lots of nice features. For shoting games perfect. But Oni is more h2h and that isn't strong point of Q3e... But still I wish that Oni 2 engine will have some good parts of Q3e - Physical based moves (Oni has precalculated), shadow casting, destroyability of environment . Those are strong sides.

Last edited by Loser (01/29/07 00:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#3 01/29/07 02:01

Mango

Yes, the Q3 engine is versatile, but I have to agree with Loser about what it was built for.
No other engine is like the Oni engine in terms of h2h combat. What we would really like is to get our hands on the Oni source code, not that that'll ever happen... even if we asked politely...

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#4 01/29/07 06:01

dez_zt

I've heard about that sourcecode thing, somewhere that they are not going to give it to anyone, but i can't understand why. They won't use it ever again, and they probably think its a lame and old anyway. Now theres ID, i like them couse they not only put out games that are milestones to the given genre, but they make them very simple to edit and almost completely variable.

I agree about the importance of h2h in Oni, apparently thats the most importan feature of any sequel wannabe.
Besides that's the only minimaly chalenging part of it. (but it would be great to combine those physics with oni...)

BTW I wanted to attach some pix of my models and maps i made, dose that feture work?

#5 01/29/07 06:01

Mango

Do you mean files for Oni?
You can attach files, but if they're too big, use something like filefront.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#6 01/30/07 09:01

geyser
Website

Didn't anyone here play Konoko Payne? smile

Adapting an FPS engine to melee close to Oni's is guaranteed to be a lot of work no matter how versatile and modular that FPS engine is.
I'm determined to try it out with Serious Engine 2/3, but before I do, I feel like learning more and more (and more) about Oni's engine.

Attachments didn't work last time I checked, but Harry may have fixed them the silent way.

Last edited by geyser (01/30/07 09:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 01/30/07 17:01

dez_zt

KP, a very good project, too bad the guy that's working on it only wants to do it him self, not that there is a problem with having 2 new enemys or something changing in half a year...

#8 01/30/07 17:01

geyser
Website

Pierre has very good reasons to work on the engine alone.
He accepts contributions (levels, models, animations, textures).
As for the tempoes... It's the fastest hobby project I know smile
His last update is pretty close to emulating all of Oni.

Last edited by geyser (01/30/07 17:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#9 01/31/07 10:01

Pierre

Quake3 isn't that good for a Oni-like game. It pretty much lacks all the needed character animation (Q3's one is really basic), the rendering/culling wouldn't work well for Oni's big open-ended levels, the h2h combat AI is missing, etc.

KP, a very good project, too bad the guy that's working on it only wants to do it him self, not that there is a problem with having 2 new enemys or something changing in half a year...

Contribs are welcome. Good ideas, textures, models, sounds, or even pieces of code: if they're good, I'll use them.

However I can't open-source the whole thing for various reasons. One is legal (I would have to remove bits I'm not allowed to distribute), the other is practical (if N people suddenly touch the code, it becomes the same mess as in a real company: no, thanks.) It's a hobby project, I don't have time for all the crap associated with real-world projects when many developers are involved. I don't think it needs more coders anyway: it needs content. Art. Models. Levels. Sounds. Story.

As far as the update rate is concerned, weeeeeeeell, eeerrrr.... At least I haven't been just *talking* all those years! Where is *your* Oni 2, guys ? smile My progress is slow, but steady.

- Pierre

#10 01/31/07 10:01

geyser
Website

At least I haven't been just *talking* all those years! Where is *your* Oni 2, guys ?

I was Serious when I said KP is the fastest-going hobby project I know...
Then again, since you actually code for the gaming industry, about the only change you're getting as compared to "real-world" coding is "less collaboration crap". Right? smile
Now if I  worked for AGEIA... Better not think of it.

Board footer