Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/14/10 12:07

hesh

Savegames vanishing?

Hey guys,

I've had the game Oni for ages now. I played it twice over the years, though after coming pretty far into the game both times suddenly all of my savegames sort of vanished. But each time i got to a different point. I didn't remove them myself, I just launched the game one day and they were gone.

Lately I had the funny idea of picking the game up again and start playing it, but I just don't want to get halfway again finding all my saves gone. So, where does the game store the savegames?Is there any way to backup these savegames? Or, if this problem is common and if it's possible, how do I stop the game from having the savegames vanish?

Thanks a lot in advance,
hesh

#2 07/14/10 13:07

Mukade

Re: Savegames vanishing?

One of the more, um, senior, members say whether I'm right or wrong, but I beleive it's the daodan.dll that contains your save games. In the Oni folder. So make a backup of that whenever posssible.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 07/14/10 13:07

Gumby

Nope! A file named persist.dat. I don't know what would cause your savegames to vanish though...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 07/14/10 13:07

Mukade

ahh right... its persist! :-/
I've always like the name of that file big_smile Like it's telling you "Hang in there baby!"

Last edited by Mukade (07/14/10 13:07)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 07/14/10 17:07

Iritscen

Yep, just make a copy of persist.dat once in a while to be safe.  Although if you do lose the file, there are utilities that will edit a persist.dat file any way you want, including opening up savepoints you know you had gotten to.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 07/15/10 05:07

hesh

Thanks a lot guys!

#7 01/08/11 16:01

elyoB

Hey all,
I received a lightly used copy of Oni for Mac today and have been enjoying the nostalgia thoroughly. However, after exiting the game and later re-opening it, I noticed that, much like hesh's experience, my progress was not saved. I played through the warehouse and the manufacturing plant numerous times in an effort to see if the save points would stay, but each time I re-opened the game my progress was gone. If I take the aforementioned advice and copy the persist.dat file, how would I go about finding that file and copying it? Thanks.

#8 01/08/11 17:01

Iritscen

Boy, I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how saved games can be lost.  I never felt satisfied that I understood what was happening with hesh's game or that we had definitely solved his problem.  Well, the persist.dat file is in the same folder as the Oni application.  When you are done playing Oni, and quit, is the file still there?  Try duplicating it and then launching Oni, changing a setting in the Options screen, then quitting Oni.  Did the original persist.dat change in any way?

P.S.: The minimum amount you should have to do in order to add a savepoint, when starting from a blank slate, is sit through the Warehouse (Ch. 1) opening cutscene.  Oni then saves your game, so you should have a Save Point 1 added to the Load Game screen if you exit to the Main Menu and hit Load Game.

#9 01/08/11 19:01

elyoB

The problem may lie in the disk itself, as I cannot even locate the persist.dat file in the Oni folder. The disk didn't appear to be too scratched, but the Oni folder looks quite peculiar. You can see it in the first attachment. For some reason, there are 56 items, 49 of which bring up a file that seems to be some sort of error message. There is an example of this file in the second attachment. (The grayed out parts are just my name). Can the persist.dat file not exist or am I just not looking in the right place for it?

#10 01/08/11 19:01

Dirk Gently
Website

There is something wrong with your directory. It should be /Oni/ or /Oni\ ƒ/

also protip: hitting command+shift+4 then you can hit spacebar and take a screenshot of just that window you select.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (01/08/11 19:01)

#11 01/08/11 19:01

elyoB

Whoops, the order of attachments got switched. When I said "the first attachment" I mean the one that you have to click on to see, not the one that you can immediately see on my post.

#12 01/08/11 19:01

elyoB

Dirk Gently, is there a way to change the directory to one of the names you mentioned? If so, would this remedy the problem?

#13 01/08/11 19:01

Dirk Gently
Website

You seem to mention a disc as a CD, but your screenshot shows it as a DMG/disk image. This means a digital copy. That is the install disk, you need to install it to your computer first.

#14 01/08/11 19:01

elyoB

I put the disk back in my computer and tried to install it with both the "Oni Installer" and "GL Install" seen in the Oni folder but both were unable to install the disk because "the Classic environment is no longer supported"

#15 01/08/11 20:01

Iritscen

Since the installer can't run in OS X, nowadays you have to install Oni by manually dragging the folder "Oni ƒ" to your computer's HD.  Once Oni is running from somewhere on your hard drive, it will be able to create files such as persist.dat.

#16 01/10/11 19:01

elyoB

Hmm, I did that and the game still doesn't save any game progress. Would changing the game's directory fix this problem or is it something greater than that? I'm really quite vexed by this problem

#17 01/10/11 22:01

Iritscen

And you're definitely running Oni from the hard drive?  Is the CD out of the computer?  Unless the Oni folder on the HD is locked, I can't imagine why it would be unable to save there.

#18 01/11/11 01:01

Sharoduinn

Are the folder's properties set to 'Read & Write'?

"Sorry about the mess"

#19 01/11/11 20:01

elyoB

I don't believe so. How would I change them to "Read & Write" and what effect would that have?

#20 01/11/11 20:01

TheCreature

Changing them to read & write allows Oni to "Write" a saved game file.  If it's read only, the program can't create or change the files.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#21 01/11/11 21:01

Iritscen

Select the Oni folder, choose File>Get Info, and look under the Sharing & Permissions section to see what rights your user name has.  You might as well check the GameDataFolder too.  Also make sure the checkbox in the Get Info window called "Locked" is not checked.  I have never actually seen this be a problem in the past, but it's all I can think of.

Board footer