A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/27/07 15:01

geyser
Website

iON

I'm too happy about this thing not to "patent" it:

iON.png

It's a working name for a non-existing Oni-related project (could be a sequel, an epilogue, anything).
First, it's an anagram of the original logo (which is written "ONi" rather than "Oni")
Second, ions can be seen as atoms (=individuals) with either a positive (=good) or negative (=evil) charge (=aura).
Actually, "atom" and "individual" are really Greek and Latin for the same idea ("one that cannot be divided").

Physically, ionized gaz is encountered during a storm (lightning etc) and a massively ionized gaz is referred to as plasma.
The latter may or may not be related to ball lightning, but it's certainly used in nuclear fusion projects such as ITER.

And what you see when you turn iON around:

NO!.png

is pretty much symbolic of Mai's inner contradiction and denial.
It can also be seen as a (far-fetched) reference to THIS:

What I found very interesting was the inspired contrast you set up between light and dark in the second half of the story. In Western-style methodology up to now, the story ends with the victory of the light. But Nausicaa says "No!" and denies the light. Is this a symbol of your strenuous resistance [to Western methodology]?
The view that light is better than darkness is one that can be related to thinking lightly of the future. No matter how wise or elaborate the plan, trying to apply it to an era in which you do not live is extremely arrogant. It will not yield satisfactory results. That's something I'm sure of. I didn't want to have Nausicaa just denounce the people who made the world what it was as foolish. The fact is that they were very intelligent people, and it's not so easy just to call them liars and fools. But no matter how pure and logical the plan was, no matter how right, 'dirt' was bound to stick to it in the actual implementation, which finally led to the establishment of religion, and the founding of the order of monks, and things started to go wrong. That's human nature. But even if that hadn't happened, I believe that something would have.
If there were no misunderstandings or illusions, then Buddha's teachings would disappear, right? That's why this thing we call 'culture' is so complicated. That's what Nausicaa said 'NO' to - said 'You're wrong!' to.
I think that Nausicaa probably thinks that she would like to live at the same happy level as insects and birds, but I'm not sure. [laughs] We are like midges, who can't survive if the water is either too clean or too dirty. We live between extremes.
That's what she was talking about. Humans cannot live totally pure lives. To shoulder the burden of work is to be human. I hate to put that into words - it makes me sound so pretentious. That's why I thought it was better to use a word like 'pollution' in the story. In short, the question of how anyone could possibly survive in the middle of the Sea of Corruption wearing such a simple mask was going around and around in my head. So I was sure that there had to be something more, and it came out in the form of Nausicaa's rejection. I hated those masks. I drew them, all along thinking that they were a lie. A mask that covers only this part...[covers the bottom half of his face with his hand and laughs]

There's probably more...

Last edited by geyser (01/27/07 15:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 01/27/07 17:01

Tracker

Re: iON

Brilliant idea to turn the word ONi into NO!
And also your explanations via the reference to good and evil or light and dark.
Interesting puns! smile

Last edited by Tracker (01/27/07 17:01)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#3 01/29/07 06:01

Pierre

It would be an appropriate name for Konoko Payne. I don't have much of a story yet but I wanted something involving the HAARP project, and its use in climatic control (which seemed to fit for an Oni sequel). And since the HAARP is all about the ionosphere, here you go smile

- Pierre

#4 02/12/07 12:02

geyser
Website

Thank you everybody. This thread will live "ON" smile
BTW, if you think of a cool-sounding name for an Oni-related project (and don't have an actual project to go with it), just throw it in here.
This could be a "pool" of more or less loose associations, sorta. Titles, subtitles, etc. Like, here's what I dug up today (from HERE) :

CHANGE IN THE AIR
(note the double meaning)
(and the connection to Oni)

More on HAARP etc later. Thanks again, everybody.

Last edited by geyser (02/12/07 12:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

Board footer