Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/03/11 18:01

Lukas Kreator

More questions...

Has someone tested cloning characters and how to, say, teleport them?
I was making a BSL, but I wanted to spawn several characters and access them independently, like teleporting one to a flag and the other to other flag. I tried an approach with int variables counting the spawned characters, but "chr_teleport 1 0" didn't work for that level... While "chr_teleport 0 0" did. If anyone has ever achieved this, please, help me...

Also, the level was Athmosferic Conversion Center (exterior) - "power", in the IGDM folder. And I'm using "force" in all spawns, if that matters.

Thanks

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/04/11 01:01)

#2 01/03/11 22:01

Lukas Kreator

Re: More questions...

Uh... anyone?

#3 01/03/11 23:01

Lithium

Takes about a day to get a response, didn't use to be this way hmm
Be patient sport ^_^

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 01/03/11 23:01

Gumby

You can't really do much with force spawned characters. Sorry.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 01/03/11 23:01

Lukas Kreator

Thank you...

I have other questions: ^^

1- Anyone got some tutorial or guide on editing and creating particle effects? I took a look at the particle files, but there are lots of information unclear for me... I also saw the wiki page, but I won't edit the binaries anyway... Is there some tool to edit them easily? Because the XML way is a lot of work...

2- Can I model anything with Google Sketchup and export to ONI? Level models, like cars, maybe characters... I dunno... I saw an option to export Collada files with it, and I was wondering.

I will take a look at the topic tomorrow...

Also, sorry for being impatient... It's only that I was making the script with clones, and without a reply I couln't continue...

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/04/11 01:01)

#6 01/04/11 05:01

Gumby

1) You have two choices: XML or direct binary editing. XML is much easier, especially if you set up a few batch files to automate the data building.

2) In theory. See if you can get a hold of EdT

#7 01/04/11 12:01

Lukas Kreator

Thank you. I will try to speak with him... The problem is that he uses a MAC, and Sketchup only works on Windows... Anyway, I'll ask him.

Some time before, I tried to make something like a Screaming Cannon projectile that irradiated the electricity stuff of the VDG, with no success... I see the thing is to find the right particle. Ok, I will try with all particles of the VDG. Then I just have to compile the ONI file to the "level0_particles", right?

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/04/11 12:01)

#8 01/04/11 12:01

Dirk Gently
Website

as in google sketchup? That works on both platforms. I have friends that use it everyday at uni.

#9 01/04/11 14:01

Lukas Kreator

Oh, so I must have mistaken Mac with Linux... XD

I will have to send another message to Edt...

#10 01/04/11 14:01

Mukade

I took a crack at particle editing, I think the difficulty depends on what you're trying to do... I released a VDG mod that changes the effect (knocks them far backwards instead of stunning). I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do though. So just to be clear, you are trying to make a screaming cannon projectile that instead of emitting the gas cloud, it emits VDG electrical bolts? Or do you want it to do both? Anyways, it sounds like an intriguing idea, I might look into it to see if I can't help, seems simple enough.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#11 01/04/11 16:01

EdT
Website

Lukas: I got your messages, but will reply here.

You can model in Sketchup, however, you cannot import the models directly into Oni.  The best 3D program to use is Autodesk Softimage Mod Tools, it's free and works well with OniSplit.  So if you are familiar with Sketchup you could create your models then export as Collada, then import into Mod Tools then export for Oni.

Here is a nice tutorial on importing character models into Oni: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Importing_character_models

#12 01/04/11 16:01

Lukas Kreator

Thank you very much!

I will take a look at that page and about the particles, yes, I want a Screaming Cannon missile to shoot electrical stuff of the VDG while flying, so that it could paralyze everyone in the way... At first, I tought at removing the green wave thing, but then I tought "what if they got paralyzed and then suffered the effects of the screaming cannon? They wouldn't be able to escape! big_smile" - althrough the green wave and the blue electrical thing don't get along very well... That's why I wanted to know how to, for example, reproduce the green wave, but red or blue... Can I just change some XML things, or will I have to mod some 3D?

I wished I could edit a lot of XML particles at the same time and put them into ONI all at a time... hmm

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/04/11 17:01)

#13 01/04/11 20:01

Gumby

Re: Particles. Good luck. smile For what you want to do, no 3D changes will be neccessary. Particle editing is something that can only really be learned, not taught, IMO. Only two members of the community (myself and Loser) have really learned the system well enough to be called "experts". My advice is to first mess around with particles, just for fun, and see what things do.

#14 01/04/11 20:01

s10k
Website

I tried an approach with int variables counting the spawned characters, but "chr_teleport 1 0" didn't work for that level... While "chr_teleport 0 0" did. If anyone has ever achieved this, please, help me...

You can use chr_location for teleport the clones.

more info here:
http://wiki.oni2.net/BSL:Functions#chr_
http://ssg.oni2.net/commands.htm#character

BUT like gumby said work with the forced characters isn't easy at all, because sometimes you can't predict which id is one specific character.

So the direction is the flags and normal characters with custom names. (you can create a bunch of them with the xml editing)

#15 01/04/11 22:01

Lukas Kreator

Well... I will practice a lot this week (month, or year), and maybe the community gets another Particles Expert one day ;D
Modding particles seems to take too much time through, so I might not post topics and replies for some time XD

Also, I will try more things about the clones, but not now... The computer in wich I am has no ONI, and my CD is not here...

Board footer