Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/10/10 05:12

RiceyChicken

Globalization Help with AE

Hey guys. I'm a new user to this site and I've a huge fan for the game ever since 2002 when I first bought for the PS2. I went on to get the PC version soon afterwards. I stumabled across the AE version of Oni, and it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I'm experiencing some technical difficulties with the version though, for some reason. The globalization process seems to malfunction every time I've tried installing AE. For some reason, it gives me some error messages saying that some certain file cannot be found and it stops globalization from there. Can any of you guys please help me solve the problem?

(By the way, I'll try to find the file that's having problem .)

Thanks in advance!

#2 12/10/10 07:12

TOCS

Re: Globalization Help with AE

You have to be more specific, like what error message do you get? Which file are we talking about? smile

And welcome to the forum, by the way. wink

#3 12/11/10 00:12

RiceyChicken

TOCS wrote:

You have to be more specific, like what error message do you get? Which file are we talking about? smile

And welcome to the forum, by the way. wink

I can't quite remember the whole thing but all I know is that this message error comes up and it says that the certain file is denied of access. I believe that the globalization stops on level1_final.dat and or something like that and then the installer says that the file is denied of access. Here's the globalization log if you need it. I didn't install any mods so I don't have an install.log.

Globalization log:
Globalization started 2010-Dec-10 20:52:11
Removing old GameDataFolder...
Creating needed directories...
Exporting and moving...

level0_Final
    Exporting level0_Final.dat
    Cleaning up TXMPs...
level1_Final
    Exporting level1_Final.dat

Globalization ended 2010-Dec-10 20:56:31
The process took 00:04:20

#4 12/11/10 04:12

TOCS

Hmmm, how does it look like? yikes

This is how it should look: \Oni\Edition

And there you've GameDataFolder, install and updates together with a bunch of other files, including the Oni.exe

Usually people installs it in the wrong location which is why it won't work.

#5 12/11/10 08:12

Iritscen

If there was a message about denied access, often that indicates that a folder is marked as Read-Only.  Make sure that the Oni/ and Edition/ folders do not say Read-Only in the Properties window.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 12/11/10 11:12

RiceyChicken

TOCS wrote:

Hmmm, how does it look like? yikes

This is how it should look: \Oni\Edition

And there you've GameDataFolder, install and updates together with a bunch of other files, including the Oni.exe

Usually people installs it in the wrong location which is why it won't work.

Yes, I've put the Edition folder in \Oni, unless I have that wrong....

And just to be safe, does the folder I have to put edition in have to say \Oni?

#7 12/11/10 11:12

RiceyChicken

Iritscen wrote:

If there was a message about denied access, often that indicates that a folder is marked as Read-Only.  Make sure that the Oni/ and Edition/ folders do not say Read-Only in the Properties window.

So what you are saying is that every single folder, file, data, etc. should not be read only? Or am I wrong?

#8 12/11/10 12:12

Iritscen

Only the folders should matter -- just those two, mainly.  That is, I don't think we've encountered a situation yet where the files were locked.  If they were, I suppose that would be a problem too, but usually what happens is that one of the folders gets locked.

#9 12/11/10 13:12

RiceyChicken

Iritscen wrote:

Only the folders should matter -- just those two, mainly.  That is, I don't think we've encountered a situation yet where the files were locked.  If they were, I suppose that would be a problem too, but usually what happens is that one of the folders gets locked.

Okay, I made sure both the Oni and Edition folders weren't read-only but I still kept getting the access denied message after reinstalling the AE and globalizing. To add, the globalization stops on various level files, not just one specific file. Is there anything else I should know? I'll give you guys screenshots if you guys really need them.

PS: I'm not sure if you guys really need this, but my OS is Windows XP SP3...

#10 12/12/10 00:12

Gumby

Open the task manager. Make sure there is no Oni.exe in processes.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#11 12/12/10 01:12

RiceyChicken

Gumby wrote:

Open the task manager. Make sure there is no Oni.exe in processes.

How should I be able to do that? Can you please tell me how?

EDIT: Nevermind that. I found out how, looked at the "Processes" tab of the Task Manager, and made sure that Oni.exe was open. There were none to be seen and I am still having trouble with globalization. Is there anything else that I should know? By the way, thank you so far for everyone who has helped me with my problem. Although I may not have the solution to my problem, but I'm sure it'll get worked out eventually.

Last edited by RiceyChicken (12/12/10 02:12)

#12 12/12/10 02:12

RiceyChicken

Alright, here's the problem. Here's the screenshot to show you it.
By the way, it's not just that specific file, but it's been affecting other ones too, mainly most of the level dat and raw files.

Last edited by RiceyChicken (12/12/10 02:12)

#13 12/14/10 07:12

RiceyChicken

Hey guys. Sorry for the third post in a row, but can someone please help me with my globalization problem? Can someone tell me what's wrong? Is there anything else I should know to this?

#14 12/15/10 21:12

Iritscen

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is that sometimes, being in an Oni directory in Windows Explorer (or the DOS Prompt?) can lock the AE Installer out of the directories it works with.  But if that's not the case, I'm not sure what would be the problem.

#15 12/16/10 01:12

Gumby

What sort of Antivirus do you run?

Also, when is the last time you've restarted your computer?

#16 12/16/10 09:12

Stevinlewis

ya sure you put it in the right folder? hmm. I used to put it in the wrong folder and its pretty frustrating. D:

#17 12/16/10 22:12

RiceyChicken

Gumby wrote:

What sort of Antivirus do you run?

Also, when is the last time you've restarted your computer?

I run Kaspersky Anit-Virus and I've restarted my computer plentiful times.
I'm not sure wether or not if that answers your question...

#18 12/16/10 22:12

RiceyChicken

Stevinlewis wrote:

ya sure you put it in the right folder? hmm. I used to put it in the wrong folder and its pretty frustrating. D:

I think I put it in the right folder. The "Edition" folder should go in the original "Oni" folder. It's located in C:\Program Files\Oni. It'd be great if anyone could tell me if I put it in the right folder, hopefully. I just need to make sure

#19 12/17/10 01:12

Gumby

You did. Some other program is interfering with the Edition files, and I don't know what.

Try starting in safe mode and running the installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu … x?mfr=true

#20 12/17/10 05:12

RiceyChicken

Finally... some good news and bad news:

Good news?
My problem is solved and the mod installation process was a breeze! I would now like to take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone of the Oni community who helped me in my time of need (and thirst of gaming). I apologize for how long this process took, but now it is out of the way. I've never been so happy in my life ever since I got my first copy of Oni for the PS2 in 2002. I'm basically shedding tears of joy at 2 am in the morning. Thank you so much guys!

Bad news?
The syndicate is going to have an even greater challenge, and that'll be me! I hope those suckers are ready for an even harder beating.

I should stop typing now, otherwise my joy is going to ruin my laptop. All those tears....

#21 12/17/10 08:12

Iritscen

Haha, glad to hear it.  So did Safe Mode do the trick?

#22 12/17/10 23:12

Stevinlewis

Gratz i guess? o.o. Dont sleep too late or youll really want konoko there to defend you from all those syndicate neighbours! yikes

#23 12/18/10 07:12

RiceyChicken

Iritscen wrote:

Haha, glad to hear it.  So did Safe Mode do the trick?

Yeah, it did the trick. From my P.O.V, Gumby might've been right when he said there was something interfering with the globalization process. Maybe when I get the hang of AE, I might try to make a new skin. Maybe...

Last edited by RiceyChicken (12/18/10 07:12)

#24 12/18/10 07:12

RiceyChicken

Stevinlewis wrote:

Gratz i guess? o.o. Dont sleep too late or youll really want konoko there to defend you from all those syndicate neighbours! yikes

I'll take your advice. By the way, do I play too much if I can do the Sledgehammer Kick combo and the Running Lariat?

Board footer