You are not logged in.

#1 11/25/10 08:11

Pierre

Konoko Payne, November 2010

Hi,

Here's a new release: http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=451

Enjoy smile

- Pierre

Edit: Currently the download at the above link is down, so I've placed the release at http://mods.oni2.net/node/313. -Iritscen

Last edited by Iritscen (07/31/14 08:07)

#2 11/25/10 12:11

TOCS

Re: Konoko Payne, November 2010

Nice, I'll definitely give it shot later! Your work is usually awesome, so I don't think this will disappoint me neither. smile

#3 11/25/10 23:11

Stevinlewis

whats konoko payne O_O?

#4 11/26/10 01:11

Gumby

Broken link!

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 11/26/10 03:11

Leucha

I should find some time to check this.

#6 11/26/10 03:11

Pierre

WTF! Yeah the link seems broken. See the updated blog post for details. I have no idea WTF is going on. That's it, I'm pissed now sad

#7 11/26/10 07:11

Iritscen

I have no idea what happened either; I was able to d/l the file with no issue yesterday around the time of TOCS' post.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 11/26/10 09:11

Pierre

Seems to work again.... I just waited and it fixed itself....

#9 11/26/10 13:11

Gumby

Haha, I'm stuck on the helicopter part.

Edit: More Options, woohoo! Input Buffer Off woohoo! big_smile

#10 11/27/10 08:11

azewrath

Omg how do i even beat the heli part

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#11 11/27/10 08:11

Nitr0

Stuck on helicopter part too, Pierre help us a little tongue

Ninjabar thin

#12 11/28/10 11:11

Loser

Stand under the helicopter, but so just strikers cannot gun you but can see you. Taunt like 15 years old. Eventually one of strikers will get fed up of your annoying voice and decides to jump on your head in order to shut you up. Dodge, kill, steal, shoot the helicopter until out of ammo. Taunt other guy down. Rinse repeat.

Hey Pierre, it's awesome! Just it seems you have kind of switched Striker's throw command - his grabs should be left mouse ones, yet he throws with right mouse. And nice usage of ducts. Really appreciated ^_^.
Also nice idea with controlling other characters - I thougt it is just some developer trick (similar to what it had done before - energy ball to the ground).

Tanbou

Last edited by Loser (11/28/10 11:11)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#13 11/28/10 13:11

Nitr0

I gone very mad in Depot 02...
Damn Tanker, I can't kill him in time.
mad mad mad

Last edited by Nitr0 (11/28/10 13:11)

Ninjabar thin

#14 11/29/10 01:11

Gumby

bugs:

no standing jump flip sad
Enemy health bar isn't adjusted to differing max healths
Enemy health bar sometimes is completely full even when attacking an enemy with low health
Ok, maybe it's not an enemy health bar. What is it then?
shadows have white borders around them (combination of soft shadows and cel shaded mode?)
*even applies to helicopter blades wink
Heli blades look silly in slomo big_smile
dash->kick puts you back into running
Thug AI is somehow stupider than vanilla Oni xD
The game bugs out on me if i go into the locker room vent shaft as a striker

suggestions:
lock-kick needs a heavy nerf wink
use tanker rifle special kick for radio saber
either give VDG a bit of autoaim and lower the RoF a little bit, it looks quite silly when the AI wastes all the shots
really, really need rolling pickups sad

#15 11/29/10 04:11

Pierre

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's always very useful.

It seems I need to work on that helicopter smile Did yo get stuck because you didn't know what to do, or because you knew what to do but it was too hard?

>Dodge, kill, steal, shoot the helicopter until out of ammo.

Yes, you can also use the "mortars" thrown at you by the Elite Striker. Target lock a mortar, do a "Nightshade kick" on it, and it will be deflected and sent back to the helicopter. Much more efficient than shooting with the plasma riffle smile

>Also nice idea with controlling other characters - I thougt it is just some developer trick
>(similar to what it had done before - energy ball to the ground).

I'm not sure what you mean with that energy ball comment smile

>no standing jump flip

Sorry, what do you mean? Note that I know I didn't replicate *all* the moves from Oni. For example even the slide move is missing. It's not my goal to replicate everything exactly as it was. But I could have a look at that "standing jump flip" if I knew what move you're talking about smile

>Enemy health bar isn't adjusted to differing max healths
>Enemy health bar sometimes is completely full even
>when attacking an enemy with low health
>Ok, maybe it's not an enemy health bar. What is it then?

There is no enemy health bar smile Which one are you talking about?

There are two "bars" you may be referring to:
- one in the top left corner. This is a "combo bar", which was originally there to replicate the "tate" system in Nightshade, but it has never been finished. Ignore it for now.
- one in the bottom left corner (the second health "circle"). This is a "super power" energy, which increases with each successful hit you perform. When it's full, you will be able to use some kind of super move. This is also not implemented yet.

If you're talking about something else, well, tell me more...

>shadows have white borders around them (combination of soft shadows and cel shaded mode?)

I think I know what you mean. It only happens with the "soft shadows" mode, right? I saw that one, I just don't know how to get rid of it. I think I'd need to improve the rendering system a bit - it's very old by now. One way to get rid of this is to select "hard shadows" in the graphic options' sub-menu.

>*even applies to helicopter blades

Ok, here I don't know what you mean. Didn't see a problem with the helico blades.

>Heli blades look silly in slomo

Any suggestion? smile

>dash->kick puts you back into running

Right. Hmmm. I'll put it on the list.

>Thug AI is somehow stupider than vanilla Oni xD

Riiiiight, well, improving AI is a never-ending task unfortunately. No easy fix, just a lot of code to write to make them smarter I suppose.

>lock-kick needs a heavy nerf

Sorry, what do you mean? sad

>use tanker rifle special kick for radio saber

Hmmm, to replace radio saber??

>either give VDG a bit of autoaim and lower the RoF a little bit, it looks
>quite silly when the AI wastes all the shots

True. VDG is not finished yet. This one it's already on my list.

>really, really need rolling pickups

Ok, I'll bump up the priority for that one. Should be easy.

Thanks again, keep them coming!

#16 11/29/10 04:11

Pierre

>I gone very mad in Depot 02...
>Damn Tanker, I can't kill him in time.

This one is tricky, admittedly. Even I don't manage to finish him fast enough sometimes. It's by design, but maybe I can adjust  the time limit with the difficulty setting (15 seconds in Hard, 20 in Normal, and maybe 30 in Easy).

There are currently several ways to win:

1) Throws. Just throw him as quickly as you can. In particular, the back-breaker is a must. You should be able to finish him in time (typically 13s for me)

2) "Hyper hits". Shinatama tells you a bit about those in the help system. If you block an attack at the last moment, the opponent goes into a "stun" animation. If you hit them while they're stunned, you get a"hyper hit" (double damage!)

3) Overpower. If you use a hypo when your life-bar is full, you go into overpower mode. While in this mode, any hit gives double damage.

If you combine 2) and 3) you get 4X damage and you can kill the Tanker with a single throw.

#17 11/29/10 04:11

Gumby

The game bugs out on me if i go into the locker room vent shaft as a striker. What is the proper method of getting to the scientist room? (Also, what is the default block key? I'm currently at the very end and I don't want to exit to get to the controls menu sad ). Also, Tanker in machine room is uncontrollable, even if i sneak in with a phase cloak.

Heli blades (and any transparent texture) are outlined in black (on the texture edge....). I'll take a screenshot once I finish...

#18 11/29/10 04:11

Gumby

> standing jump flip

Jump, press crouch. wink

> lock-kick

or nightshade kick as you call it. You can just spam it and win. Though it's quite useful against the last part of Muro's challenge. Lock, kick, attack back whilst he's stunned, rinse, repeat.

#19 11/29/10 06:11

Pierre

>The game bugs out on me if i go into the locker room vent shaft as a striker.

Woah. I didn't think it was possible! How did you do that? You manage to jump high enough with a Striker?

Ok this was unexpected, definitely.

>What is the proper method of getting to the scientist room?

Using the ventilation duct from the lockers room - but with Konoko smile

> (Also, what is the default block key? I'm currently at the very end and I don't want to exit to get to the controls menu  )

Same key as target lock. So, should be CTRL.

>Also, Tanker in machine room is uncontrollable, even if i sneak in with a phase cloak.

He should be controllable if you sneak behind him. What happens? Note that you have to sneak undetected. If he hears you and start moving his head around, you can't control him anymore indeed.

>Heli blades (and any transparent texture) are outlined in black (on the texture edge....). I'll take a screenshot once I finish...

I'll wait for the screenshot. Sounds like a bug. Admittedly I only tested it on a couple of machines, and they all had Nvidia cards (obviously).

>Jump, press crouch.

Oh I see. Seems missing indeed wink
But then again, is that one very useful?

>or nightshade kick as you call it. You can just spam it and win

Yes, ok. I have a design problem with this I think. On one hand you can keep using this and defeat most enemies indeed. On the other hand I love using that move, and it will be mandatory on the "sentinels" later in the game (the flying robots you saw in the prototype).

I tried to limit how useful those "lock kicks" are, by doing two things:

- they don't increase the energy on the second "health circle" in the bottom left corner. Eventually the plan is to allow one "super move" once this energy is full, and of course that move will be mandatory to defeat some bosses. So if you only ever "lock kick" everybody, you can't defeat the bosses. (This is a bit similar to the "one hit kills" in NightShade)

- they don't actually remove a lot of energy, so they don't work in timed fights (like the Tanker in Muro's Challenge).

But yeah, I might need to do something else. Suggestions are welcome smile

#20 11/29/10 14:11

Gumby

Pierre wrote:

>The game bugs out on me if i go into the locker room vent shaft as a striker.

Woah. I didn't think it was possible! How did you do that? You manage to jump high enough with a Striker?

Ok this was unexpected, definitely.

Jump up on the lockers. tongue

>What is the proper method of getting to the scientist room?

Using the ventilation duct from the lockers room - but with Konoko smile

Can't get a second key -_- Do I get a hint to where it is? Is it up the vent shaft in the first room?

Edit: nvm, foudn it

>Also, Tanker in machine room is uncontrollable, even if i sneak in with a phase cloak.

He should be controllable if you sneak behind him. What happens? Note that you have to sneak undetected. If he hears you and start moving his head around, you can't control him anymore indeed.

I put on a phase cloak, open the door, and nothing works. -_- I wanted to sneak into the elevator thing and control him, but I can't even do it right off the bat.

>Jump, press crouch.

Oh I see. Seems missing indeed wink
But then again, is that one very useful?

For getting downed enemies. Though your animation system might prevent it from hitting, I'm not sure.

>or nightshade kick as you call it. You can just spam it and win

Yes, ok. I have a design problem with this I think. On one hand you can keep using this and defeat most enemies indeed. On the other hand I love using that move, and it will be mandatory on the "sentinels" later in the game (the flying robots you saw in the prototype).

I tried to limit how useful those "lock kicks" are, by doing two things:

- they don't increase the energy on the second "health circle" in the bottom left corner. Eventually the plan is to allow one "super move" once this energy is full, and of course that move will be mandatory to defeat some bosses. So if you only ever "lock kick" everybody, you can't defeat the bosses. (This is a bit similar to the "one hit kills" in NightShade)

- they don't actually remove a lot of energy, so they don't work in timed fights (like the Tanker in Muro's Challenge).

But yeah, I might need to do something else. Suggestions are welcome smile

Make it use up the super bar. smile

Oh, also bug: can't block when using a mind controlled character.

#21 11/29/10 15:11

Gumby

#22 11/29/10 19:11

Jon God

I am curious, would Konoko Payne run as a WINE port on an intel mac?

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#23 11/29/10 22:11

TheCreature

pleaseohpleaseohplease let that work.  I want to play this game.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#24 11/30/10 04:11

Pierre

>Jump up on the lockers

Hmmm ok I managed to do that too. Ok, I didn't think about that. I'll need to find something.

>I put on a phase cloak, open the door, and nothing works.

Can you tell me more? What do you mean, "nothing works"? It's actually supposed to work. You should be able to do exactly what you tried: while invisible, sneak past the enemy to the elevator, mind control him from there. If it doesn't work, there's a bug or something. But it certainly works for me.

>Oh, also bug: can't block when using a mind controlled character.

Good point! Hmmm so many things to fix sad

>would Konoko Payne run as a WINE port on an intel mac?

I have no idea about that....

#25 11/30/10 10:11

Iritscen

Yes, KP runs in Wine.  I recommend getting Wine from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ .  When you open it for the first time, turn on the option to look for updates, and you should immediately be told there is an update available.  For some reason the version up for download is not the newest.  Update to the new version (1.2).  Then, in the Winetricks menu, install vcrun2005.  Then you should be able to click on Flexine.exe in the KP folder and it will open in Wine (if asked, choose to open it directly, rather than bottling it).  When KP asks if you want to run it in Fullscreen mode, choose No (at least, I get graphical glitches if I say Yes).  After that, it should run flawlessly.  As Pierre has noted, the game takes a while to load the first time, and it also took at least 15 seconds to end the mission when I chose to exit.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer