Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/19/10 22:11

Iritscen

Æon Flux for PS2 & Xbox

Well, here's something that seems vaguely familiar and yet different.  For those of you who don't know what Æon Flux is, I'm sorry, but you seriously missed out.  Anyway, after the great animated series in 1991, they released a lame Hollywood adaptation in 2005 with an absurd casting choice for Æon.  They also released this video game tie-in.  Here's some representative gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEVd16KFKTU .

You can tell that, as a 3rd person action title on a console, it suffered the same control issues as Oni did on the PS2.  And the AI is kind of sluggish and boring compared to Oni's.  But there's some cool environmental interaction (e.g. the move at 2:35) and contextual stuff.  Apparently much of the game is contextual -- that is, you stand on a mark and push a button to do something cool.

Anyway, it does have blocks and a combo system, and gunplay alongside emphasized melee, so that places it in the same category as Oni; just thought I would share my findings with you all, since I'd never seen the game before today.

Edit: I just noticed the account of the YouTube user who posted the above video.  It's a veritable cornucopia of video games that star femmes fatales: Wet, X-Blades, Bullet Witch, BloodRayne 2....

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 11/19/10 23:11

northero
Website

Re: Æon Flux for PS2 & Xbox

wow it looks really cool ! The moves are there and I'm guessing tat the story line is cool too ! And btw, I didn't know there was such a game before! It is quite like oni but the moves in this game is much more flexible ( running along walls ) than oni ..

Last edited by northero (11/19/10 23:11)

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#3 11/20/10 10:11

Mukade

hmmm. Oni with wall running.. *Drools*

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#4 11/21/10 20:11

northero
Website

Exactly!

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#5 11/25/10 08:11

Pierre

Aeon Flux was one of my favorite PS2 games, despite having some *very* *very* frustrating moments (the annoying instant death + long reload at the start of the "Fame" level comes to mind, along with the super painful parts where you're supposed to control that small sphere, and the controls just suck).

What I liked the most is that it was packed with ideas and stuff to do. Hand-to-hand combat, guns, mines, metal spheres à la Metroid / Marble Madness, turrets to take control of, some destructible environments, platforming bits, etc, etc, it was never boring and you could feel the huge amount of work the devs put into it, which was very surprising for a movie adaptation.

And yes, it had a certain Oni-like feel smile

#6 11/25/10 12:11

Iritscen

And supposedly it was developed in 10 months, from what I read somewhere that may or may not reputable.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer