#1 11/08/10 17:11

EdT
Website

Arena Level

Continuing from the screenshots thread

EDIT: Get it as an AE package: http://mods.oni2.net/node/175

arenafun.jpg

arenafun1.jpg

This is the first new level that has pathfinding grids.  It is work in progress, geyser is improving the pathfinding grids.
Keep on eye on this page for updates on the arena level: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Levels#Lost_assets

To answer some questions from the screenshot thread:

script_10k: I'm thinking of modifying an OTA script to work in this arena.  If you want to make your own scripts, you will need to create a new directory called arena in the IGMD directory and put your scripts there.  Ypu can either use chr_location or create new flags to spawn the AI.  BTW, I think you can come up with a better script than me :-)

samer: Well first you have to design a new level, texture it, then make the pathfinding grids for it. :-) 

The grids are made in a paint program, certain colors represent how the grid is rendered. The colors are stated here: http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:AKVA/0x24 

How do you determine the size of the image? geyser said: "every BNV has an AABB (axis-aligned bounding box); the grid is aligned with the min-corner of that box, minus two grid squares; the size of a grid square is commonly 4 world units"  Please don't ask me to translate it...

Probably the best thing you can do is extract the AKEV from the .dat file and see how the level was made in a 3D program and then look at the grid images.  Besides the actual 3D level design, you have to make ghost polygons that represent the BNV.  Again when you extract the AKEV, you will see all that.  There will be 3 .dae files created, the env.dae, which is the 3D environment. The bnv.dae file (BNVs are volumes that have a pathfinding grid assigned to them. )  and an .obj.dae file which will have the objects in the level.

So as you can see making a new level with pathfinding grids is a lot of manual, technical work.  Or we can just wait for Neo to autogenerate the pathfinding grids for us!

Last edited by EdT (11/08/10 17:11)

#2 11/08/10 19:11

s10k
Website

Re: Arena Level

EdT wrote:

script_10k: I'm thinking of modifying an OTA script to work in this arena.  If you want to make your own scripts, you will need to create a new directory called arena in the IGMD directory and put your scripts there.  Ypu can either use chr_location or create new flags to spawn the AI.  BTW, I think you can come up with a better script than me :-)

Actually I just want to have a small fight in that arena too see how it feels, because that I asked if you could do that package because I'm too lazy and busy right now to study oni levels documentation. But thanks for the tips. :)

Last edited by s10k (11/08/10 19:11)

#3 11/08/10 20:11

EdT
Website

Got a rough version of OTA running in the arena.

arenaOTA.jpg

Last edited by EdT (11/08/10 22:11)

#4 11/09/10 09:11

EdT
Website

Here is how the bnv with pathfinding grids appears:

arena_bnv.jpg

41 images make up the pathfinding grids, all of them were made manually.

#5 11/09/10 10:11

TOCS

Damn that's a lot of work! Is there any way you could release the OTA script as well?

#6 11/09/10 10:11

EdT
Website

TOCS: Once geyser is satisfied with the pathfinding grids and bnv and I get the OTA to be compatible for PC and Mac, then I'll release it!  :-)

But in the meantime, you are welcome to download the WIP arena and mod it yourself!

Last edited by EdT (11/09/10 10:11)

#7 11/09/10 11:11

TOCS

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to a release! smile

#8 11/09/10 15:11

Mukade

We could have a contest to see who can script the best arena smile

Anyways, do you know if it's possible to edit an existing levels, reimport it and preserve the original grids? Or would those have to be made over again?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#9 11/09/10 15:11

EdT
Website

Mukade: Great idea about a scripting contest!
About importing existing levels, quoting from http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Levels#Old_levels

As of 14:10, 8 November 2010 (UTC) we are still not ready to reauthor Oni's levels, by lack of a pipeline for interactive geometry elements such as doors and togglable visibility groups. It is possible to import simple level parts which do not involve doors (arenas, showcases, test environments and other featurettes). We will come up with a solution Soon(TM). In the meantime, the field is open for experimentation, roadmaps, opinion polls, whatever.

Last edited by EdT (11/09/10 15:11)

#10 11/09/10 16:11

Mukade

Yeah, I tried adding a couple barrels to a level but it didn't work sad

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#11 11/13/10 00:11

EdT
Website

A preview of the Arena OTA, special edition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmPmt6YqEE

Last edited by EdT (11/13/10 00:11)

#12 11/13/10 12:11

TheCreature

Wait a minute... was that... the Iron Demon I saw?  Must... Have... Demon...

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#13 11/13/10 13:11

Sharoduinn

Weeoow, that's too good to be true (not that I doubt any of it smile )
So the Demon is being  worked on...? o_O

TheCreature wrote:

Must... Have... Demon...

Spot on big_smile

"Sorry about the mess"

#14 11/14/10 11:11

EdT
Website

Iron Demon is on hold right now, having animation and melee issues. I will be getting help on this late spring/summer, so you just have to wait until then. :-)

Arena OTA script works on the Mac, but not on PC. Waiting for Mukade to debug it.

Last edited by EdT (11/14/10 11:11)

#15 11/14/10 13:11

Mukade

Yeah, getting on that now -_-

I had time to look over it quickly, and I may know what section of the script is the problem, but the script is way beyond my capabilities tongue But either way, I can figure out what does what, and at least tell you what the problem is if I can't fix it myself.

As for Iron Demon, does it already have it's own animations or do those have to be made?

#16 11/15/10 21:11

Mukade

Bump.... okay, so I got the file from EdT and it has no problems that I can see, I don't know how you were testing it, to make it not work. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I didn't put it into the original GDF, just the Edition one :-/

So it should be ready for whenever he decides to release it to the public

#17 11/16/10 18:11

EdT
Website

Double bump!

Here's the Arena OTA files: http://mods.oni2.net/node/175

It works on both PC and Mac and requires Anniversary Edition to be installed.

For the scripting contest:
I have also included a file called BSL_scripting_support that has the flag numbers and the script names for all the characters, so you can create your own script for this level.

#18 11/16/10 21:11

Mukade

lol, are we actually gonna try and go ahead with that?

Pff, after one look at EdTs script my chances went into the negatives. Still, I'd be intererested in maybe still doing it, just to brush up on my scripting and learn new tricks... who else would be willing to give it a go

#19 11/16/10 23:11

EdT
Website

Mukade: Its not my script, Script_10K had the original idea, geyser wrote the script and I merely ported it to the Mac.

#20 11/17/10 14:11

TOCS

It's great! And I bet it'll be great for a future multiplayer as well! wink

#21 11/17/10 20:11

Mukade

TOCS wrote:

It's great! And I bet it'll be great for a future multiplayer as well! wink

Certainly, in fact, it would be a great map to start experimenting with. Maybe we could try to write Capture The Flag and other gametype scripts using this map?

#22 11/18/10 13:11

Gumby

The map is a little small for CTF.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#23 11/18/10 19:11

Jon God

It's great, though, what I'd suggest is more spawn points up stairs. it seems that none of the bots go up there unless you do.

That's wasted potential.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#24 11/18/10 19:11

myplea1

Mukade wrote:

Certainly, in fact, it would be a great map to start experimenting with. Maybe we could try to write Capture The Flag and other gametype scripts using this map?

I'm thinking a no on capture the flag in general. It would be impossible to catch the flag
carrier since speed is the same for everyone. And plus running away from a fight is all too easy.

Awol

#25 11/18/10 20:11

Jon God

myplea1 wrote:
Mukade wrote:

I'm thinking a no on capture the flag in general. It would be impossible to catch the flag
carrier since speed is the same for everyone. And plus running away from a fight is all too easy.

Just make the flag a "weapon" which can't be put away, then anyone could dash catch up to you, and trip you.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

Board footer