Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/27/10 11:10

NMS
Website

Windows Crash fix without improved AI dodging?

Oni doesn't run well on my new MacBook Pro. (I'm looking forward to the official Intel-native Mac version, but I know that's out of your control.) Since I dual boot Windows, I picked up a Windows Oni CD for a few bucks. The daodan DLL allows me to play, but it also improves the AI's ability to dodge gunfire. This is bad for speedrunning and makes it ineligible to use for speeddemosarchive.com. So I was wondering if someone could find or create a patch that allows it to run but doesn't change the gameplay in any way from the original. Thanks.

P.S. How the heck did they ship without noticing that Konoko's face texture is all messed up?

#2 10/27/10 12:10

TOCS

Re: Windows Crash fix without improved AI dodging?

Are you sure you haven't got AE installed? As far as I know it's a package for the AE which enables a more advanced AI with gunfire dodging.

To answer your texture part - usually all shiny parts (those with envmap) are of low quality due to the format being used (RGBA4444, RGBA5551). However after the latest engine patches a new format was enabled, RGBA32 which greatly improves texture quality. You can read all about this on the Oni Galore: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/index.php?login=1

#3 10/27/10 14:10

Gumby

The Daodan also patches up some AI logic. I'll see if I can compile a special version of the Daodan just for you. smile Though in a sense, the fixes and such can be thought of as Oni 1.1. Does that site only allow "official" patches, even when the game isn't supported any more?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 10/27/10 16:10

NMS
Website

Thanks a lot, Gumby! Yes, they only allow official versions, but sometimes make exceptions for patches that don't affect gameplay.

As for Konoko's face, I was referring to the fact that it's really pale but covered in pink plus-shaped marks in the original PC version. It looks really awful in closeups.

#5 10/27/10 17:10

Iritscen

Fwiw, the first Intel build that we release will not have the dodging bug fixed, nor any other changes which could affect gameplay.  But I can't say exactly when it's coming out (it was supposed to be soon...), so if you want a fix right now, maybe Gumby will have to hook you up with that custom Daodan.

And yes, I am not a big fan of Konoko's face texture either.  It's definitely not in 32-bit (which is why you see that dithering pattern), and in fact the art itself is not particularly consistent with Lorraine's 2D drawings of Konoko.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 10/28/10 00:10

TOCS

That's what I meant, the RGBA4444 and RGBA5551 formats are of very low quality, due to the fact that they need to have an alpha channel - which is used ingame for reflection.

Board footer