Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 09/27/10 02:09

Leucha

Re: Konoko CG

Iritscen wrote:

I'm guessing the method of construction is where the problem is?

Yep, the meshing is really bad, it doesn't follow the human curves, and that sucks when the time has come to add fine details and pose your character. But I'm too lazy to make her in the right way from the begining big_smile I'll just fix the critics spots, such as joints.

Last edited by Leucha (09/27/10 03:09)

#52 09/27/10 15:09

Chamyky
Website

Jeez, this is exciting already. Seeing you there again is one thing — but knowing that you're on the project is even more cool, and let's face it: your BlackAdder kicks ass.
Additionally, the description you make of what you're planning to do is really promising. As Gumby said: Niiiiiice.
(aaah~, I remember coming here every day as a guest to see if the project progressed.)

#53 09/27/10 18:09

Lithium

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#54 09/27/10 19:09

TheCreature

Sweet!  I'm loving the black adder model!  Too bad we can't load high quality objects like this into Oni.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#55 09/29/10 03:09

Leucha

I reinstalled Oni last night, and played it a bit. First, french dubbings was horrible lol, I should instal it in english. Anyways, it didn't get old too much, graphically speaking, except the lack of details and the huge empty spaces in the level design, which was blamed at the time it was released. I feared to see rigid-skinned models, it usually looks horrible, but they did a good stuff. Finally, the animation system is still impressive, transitions are smooth, inverse kinematic is handled, it was many years ahead of its time.

You know that softwares you nowadays plug in your game engine, that manage animations like Oni does, cost around 60 000$ ?

I'm curious, how does modding works with Oni ? Such as importing meshes and textures.

#56 09/29/10 04:09

Iritscen

Leucha wrote:

I'm curious, how does modding works with Oni ? Such as importing meshes and textures.

That can be a pretty deep topic.  I suggest getting OniSplit and searching the forum for previous discussions about importing, then asking specific questions when there's something you don't understand.  But importing textures and weapons is quite easy when you get the hang of it.  Character models are trickier but importing works perfectly once you figure out the intricacies.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#57 09/29/10 05:09

Leucha

Looks like we can do a lot of things with it. Did anyone already tried to revamp a map ?

#58 09/29/10 06:09

Iritscen

No, because currently imported levels do not contain pathfinding grids.  So we can probably modify a level and get it back into Oni (or create a new one, which we've already experimented with), but the AI will just stand there and stare at you unless you get within range of their attacks.

#59 09/29/10 06:09

Leucha

Too bad. Is there any way to keep the pathfinding grids somewhere and to add it back in the reworked map ?

#60 09/29/10 08:09

Dirk Gently
Website

From what i have seen, creating a pathfinding gird is not overly difficult, just a manner of coding something to help you do it and visualize what you are doing.

Major props goes to the team of people that made the wiki for stuff like this.

#61 09/29/10 16:09

Mukade

Maybe *creating* the grids might not be too hard, but actually making them work and importing them would be the tricky part

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#62 09/29/10 19:09

Iritscen

If one was to create the grids manually in a 3D modeler, the grids would not be hard to make.  Importing them is something that is not necessarily a cinch to code, though.  The way they work is a bit obtuse.  Also, Neo has been looking into generating them automatically before settling on manual creation, and that is not a simple task.  I'm still optimistic that we'll figure it out, one way or another.

#63 09/30/10 04:09

Leucha

I had in mind, to save the data relative to the orignial map pathfinding, and reuse it back unmodified into the new map file ?

#64 09/30/10 05:09

Leucha

Having read the wiki, I'll try to rush a improved in-game model for Konoko during this week end.

#65 09/30/10 06:09

Iritscen

Hmm!  Can you really do that in one weekend? big_smile  You know about the upper limit of 1,024 vertices per part (bone), right?

P.S.: You're gonna have to tell me where that avatar came from, it's been bugging me because it's so cool and I feel like I know it from somewhere smile

#66 09/30/10 07:09

Leucha

No, I didn't know ; but I don't think it will be a problem, it looks like each part of the original Konoko is far from 1 024 vertices. But, hmmm, do you know if it is allowed to have multiple mesh on one bone ?

Concerning my avatar, it comes from a well-know poster, for a french cabaret in Montmartre, Paris : le Chat Noir (the black cat), painted in 1896.

Last edited by Leucha (09/30/10 07:09)

#67 09/30/10 12:09

Gumby

Just one mesh per body part.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#68 09/30/10 13:09

Leucha

I don't figure out the difference between ONCC and TRBS, can you help me ?

(we could discuss about it somewhere else in another topic ?)

#69 09/30/10 17:09

Gumby

If you like we can move the discussion somewhere else, but for now:

ONCC contains the stats for a character and a link to the TRBS.
TRBS contains the actual geometry.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#70 10/03/10 08:10

Leucha

Well, it won't be finished this WE, but more like tuesday or wednesday.

#71 10/06/10 14:10

Leucha

The face, delicate part if I don't want to deform her tongue I hope I'll finish it tonight. Then I'll have to unwrap the whole character  and make new textures, everything should be done during this week.

#72 10/06/10 17:10

Iritscen

Someday I need to learn how to unwrap properly, that was what killed my HD Motoko project >.<

#73 10/07/10 02:10

Leucha

There might be some tutorials on the net. I learnt mostly at work, with the help of another graphic artist.

#74 10/10/10 04:10

Leucha

I that normal that Severed's texture for Konoko face, appear to be blue when I extract it ?

#75 10/10/10 06:10

Iritscen

No, it's not.  What command did you use to extract it?

Board footer