Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/13/10 16:08

GmasterRED
Website

Oni not working for Mac OS9

So I have Oni on Mac. It only works on OS 9, not on my new Mac becase Apple is so dumb it doesn't have a compatibility mode.
But suddenly, it stopped working. I have tried it on 2 different OS 9's, re intsaling it and everything, but it acts like it's going to load the game, then just goes back to the desktop. It worked a little while ago, but then I quit and now when I try to play it, it no longer works.
Why is this? Does the game have some kind of time lock where it stops working after a certain number of years?
Help, please.

I've been looking everywhere for a solution, posting in all kinds of fourms. Someone linked me here. Anyone know whats up with this?

#2 08/13/10 17:08

TheCreature

Re: Oni not working for Mac OS9

First off, don't blame Apple out of hand.  I play Oni on my macs and it works fine on os 9 & 10.  And yes, there are ways to emulate on macs.

I'm pretty sure it's not a time lock, as some of the people here have been playing for years.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there might be a problem with your disk, if you've tried starting from a clean slate twice.

Or, you might've been trying to load some of your old files into a new install (contiuing an old Persist.dat or similar)  That messed me up once.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 08/13/10 18:08

Iritscen

We don't really support OS 9, but you should be able to play Oni just fine on your new Mac if you use the patched game app here.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 08/14/10 11:08

GmasterRED
Website

Iritscen wrote:

We don't really support OS 9, but you should be able to play Oni just fine on your new Mac if you use the patched game app here.

It says on the disk it works for system 8 or later. Is there anysort of patch or software that allowes you to play it in Windows?

#5 08/14/10 11:08

GmasterRED
Website

TheCreature wrote:

First off, don't blame Apple out of hand.  I play Oni on my macs and it works fine on os 9 & 10.  And yes, there are ways to emulate on macs.

I'm pretty sure it's not a time lock, as some of the people here have been playing for years.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there might be a problem with your disk, if you've tried starting from a clean slate twice.

Or, you might've been trying to load some of your old files into a new install (contiuing an old Persist.dat or similar)  That messed me up once.

So how do I avoid loading old files into a new install? The disk is mint, not a scratch on it. But it won't work in 2 different computers, so it has to be the disk, I'm thinking.
This is so frusterating. I'm thinking of just buying it yet AGAIN, this time for windows. (the first 2 times were for ps2 and Mac).

#6 08/14/10 12:08

Dirk Gently
Website

you can update to have it run on OSX.

at the moment there is more official support for the OS X version than the pc version.

#7 08/14/10 12:08

GmasterRED
Website

CLARIFICATION:
I do not want to use my newmac, which is a laptop to play Oni on. I'm really looking for a soultion for the OS9 or just for a way I can play it on my windows computer.

#8 08/14/10 16:08

Dirk Gently
Website

sorry, but why?

I did not know people still used OS9.

#9 08/15/10 01:08

GmasterRED
Website

It is a funny situation. I just like to us the OS 9 for playing old games (like Oni, for instance). I don't even use macs for gaming at all really, out side of a few old classics. But now it won't even work :cry:

#10 08/15/10 07:08

Iritscen

Sorry, we can't really help troubleshoot because most of us don't have a Mac capable of running OS 9.  Though, since Oni is so old, it would run fine on your Mac laptop even if you don't have the best graphics card around.  But if you do prefer to play it in Windows, you'll have to either buy it again for that OS, or else reformat the level data in your Mac version and use that with the Windows game app, which can be downloaded freely.  I'm not sure if anyone's successfully performed the fabled "format switch" to move Oni to a different OS, so if you wanted to try, you might be the first.

#11 08/15/10 07:08

Dirk Gently
Website

You sir, have won the prize for being awesome. Your post brought back many memories that I probably should not have being only 19. Either way we should really figure out his problem because he games old school and that is really the only important thing tongue

Forgive me for this because I think the last time I used OS 9 was about 8-9 years ago because the mac clone I had at the time would not run OS X. Is there something comparable to the OS X console application on OS9. That should be able to give you a clue as to what might be causing it. Otherwise post the debugger.txt in your Oni folder.

#12 08/15/10 16:08

TheCreature

Sorry Iritscen, if you want to keep it strictly non-OS 9, but I still use 9 similarly, and I'm gonna try to help here.

Old files might be an Alias or something.  I forget exactly, but might there be some old Alias file(s) in there somewhere.  I'd suggest using Sherlock (under the 'apple' drop menu) to find anything related to Oni, and delete all those files.

Not sure what could be wrong with the disk... You're absolutely sure you're not using a windows disk, or the PS version, I assume.  Are you trying to load Oni through an external disc drive or something similar?

I know for sure this same thing happened to me a while back, but I can't remember what caused it.  Oh wait:  Can you get to the menus?  If so, try adjusting your resolution to a higher level.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#13 08/16/10 16:08

GmasterRED
Website

UPDATE:
Now, it's working in one computer, but not the other. It turns out that for some reason, the cd wasn't instaling the following files along with the game:

persist.dat
key_config.txt
startup.txt
debugger.txt

This is the original CD, not a copy. Once I erased everything and re instaled it, none of the above files which should have been there were there. However, I clicked on the game, and it did the usual thing (took me to a black screen then right back to the desktop) but suddenly, like magic there were 2 more files in the Oni folder. I forgot which one's they were, but they were two of the one's mentioned above.
I tried copying all the above files on to a flash drive and then into the other computer, but it still wouldn't work. I also tried copying the entier game onto the flash drive, copied it onto the other computer but still no cigar.

Also, I did not modify the working computer at all, I just decided to click on Oni to give it a shot, and bam, it worked magically.
I'm still worried it might suddenly stop workign again, though. Does any body know why those 4 files wouldn't install from the disk?

#14 08/16/10 17:08

Iritscen

Oni makes those files at runtime. http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_(folder)

#15 09/03/10 08:09

jackoverfull
Website

Hi, I would try to trash the preference file, if any. If there's such file (sorry, it's been a long time since i last played the carbon version of oni) it sould be in the "Preferences" folder wich is inside your "System Folder" (unless you're using a different user from the admin, in that case it should be somewhere inside the your user folder, but the situation seems quite unlikely).

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

Board footer