A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 06/30/10 16:06

Jon God

Re: Bug Compendium

Paff wrote:
love_Oni wrote:

Here's the movie showing the bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG1qMae1Sg

This "mysterious" bug has been known for long but it seems no one has fixed it. Of course, I think it should be fixed. tongue

Whoa, that's awesome! I imagine lots of people want it fixed, though. sad

I'll add it to the OP.

Uh, yeah. I would say that is an exploit.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#27 07/11/10 18:07

s10k
Website

Where's another bug that should be fixed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTtAP_TUbM

#28 07/11/10 20:07

Gumby

Hehe. I've known about that one for a while.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#29 07/11/10 21:07

Mukade

Hmm, never seen that... although now that you mention it, another one that would be good is hitting through walls, although it can be funny

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#30 07/11/10 23:07

Paff
Website

Normal attacks through walls is listed in #8. Didn't know about shooting through walls - that's pretty cool. Added it as #11.

Last edited by Paff (07/11/10 23:07)

#31 07/12/10 12:07

azewrath

Somehow the TCTF elite members' back throw doesnt seem to deal any damage.... or is it already fixed? My pardon for not visiting this forum for quite awhile  tongue  but i'd run a search n didnt really see any post regarding that

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#32 07/12/10 12:07

Loser

It was fixed in Loser combat system.

And will be fixed in the Multiplayer combat system, rest assured. Just be patient...

Tanbou

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#33 07/14/10 18:07

Mengjun

First of all, long time no see guys, though I don't know if you remember me after disappearing for a year =o

Anyway, I toyed with Oni today again (for the first time in over a year =o) and I think I noticed something. There's this setup that I could use to essentially make 1v1 fights a walk in the park.

Step 1: Knock the opponent down.
Step 2: Jump forward, and do a kick on the way down. Time this in such a way that it connects *after* the opponent has recovered.
Step 3: Now two things can happen.
1) Opponent fails to block, and gets knocked down. Go to step 2.
2) Opponent blocks. Follow up with a forward + kick running throw. He can't avoid this I think, since you seem to be able to throw your opponent *during* blockstun. Go to step 2.
3) Opponent rolls. Follow him with a running kick, which will likely catch him at the end of the roll, and knock him down. Go to step 2.

So yea, there's still some stuff I'm not completely sure about, but yea, this seems to break 1v1 fights.

#34 07/14/10 18:07

Iritscen

Hey Mengjun, I remember you! smile

What if the opponent rolls to one side?  That would break the chain, right?

But yes, it is an issue that you can throw your enemy while they block.  We've talked a little about ways to deal with this, although a proper solution is tricky.  We'll need to resolve this one for multiplayer mode.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#35 07/14/10 21:07

Gumby

Yeah, rolling to the side OR a counterattack should break that chain.

#36 07/15/10 00:07

Mukade

We can't help this issue in single player as far as i know... not without doing some major edits to the melee/combat IDs

Until then, it's up to you to decide: Are you fighting to win? In which case, yeah, go for it you'll lose less health. But in my opinion, all you have to do is ignore this combo and shake things up with some moves you don't normally use,  (such as side+fw+kick, which is surprisinly effective, and looks really cool when timed right, or bk+fw+kick, etc..)

It's not like you HAVE to do those steps. And in multiplayer, this shouldn't be a problem, people are smarter than that. A counterattack would be most effective, though computers don't tend to do so immediatly. And there has been talk of fixing the problem by use of throw counters, although I don't know if that's still in the works or not.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#37 07/15/10 04:07

Mengjun

Ah, I see. And it's not like those steps are really going to help me well in group fights too, so I need to know how to fight properly anyway. *Back to shaking off all the rust =o

#38 07/15/10 12:07

Loser

Mengjun - Yeah, I also noticed that bug, but it was too late, combat system was already packed

Solution is easy and will be part of multiplayer combat system - Each time you land ( jump or fall does not matter ), you will be forced to play hard land animation.

I know some of you guys will not agree, but by doing that, I will
- get rid of this spammy jump kick -> run throw combo
- get rid of kangaroos, who would otherwise jump around like idiots, abusing guns

And grab stun -> throw system is only for standing grapple, running throws will be still instant. But to compensate, they will deal lower damage. And even in vanilla Oni, they are avoidable by ducking. Duck + sweep is great revenge for failed attempt to run throw ^_^.

Tanbou

Last edited by Loser (07/15/10 12:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#39 07/15/10 17:07

Gumby

Loser wrote:

Mengjun - Yeah, I also noticed that bug, but it was too late, combat system was already packed

Solution is easy and will be part of multiplayer combat system - Each time you land ( jump or fall does not matter ), you will be forced to play hard land animation.

I know some of you guys will not agree, but by doing that, I will
- get rid of this spammy jump kick -> run throw combo
- get rid of kangaroos, who would otherwise jump around like idiots, abusing guns

And grab stun -> throw system is only for standing grapple, running throws will be still instant. But to compensate, they will deal lower damage. And even in vanilla Oni, they are avoidable by ducking. Duck + sweep is great revenge for failed attempt to run throw ^_^.

Tanbou

Eww no. Hard landing will look horrible, and leave the player vulnerable. And make parkour impossible. sad

#40 07/15/10 18:07

Mukade

I have to agree with Gumby, it might take more work, but it would probably be better to just edit the regular landing animation to still look okay, but perhaps a few frames longer than before, so it has a similar effect, but doesn't look terrible tongue

Or we can try without doing anything, and if it turns out that it's causing a problem, we can then try and introduce a patch to fix and see if that helps any

#41 07/17/10 02:07

Paff
Website

On the SWAT throws: Huh, didn't know that. I guess it's already fixed though, so I'll leave it out of the OP, unless you guys think it should be added.

On Mengjun's bit: I'm not sure that's a bug so much as a failure of the AI/balance problem.

#42 07/17/10 10:07

azewrath

What about punching n kicking thru walls? Is that fixed?

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#43 07/17/10 13:07

Mukade

Don't think so, I have an idea of maybe how it can be fixed, but not sure if it applys to this game

Board footer