Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/23/10 22:06

Paff
Website

Bug Compendium

To go along with the "bug philosophy" discussion, it would probably be useful if we had a big list of all of the known bugs that we may or may not want to remove. So, in this topic, let's try to compile such a list.

To help stay organized, please try to keep your post focused on listing bugs, rather than on saying which ones should and should not be removed. We'll get to that later.

1. Teleport throws. When an opponent is standing right behind you, and you press the throw keys, they will often be teleported in front of you, and you will throw them. Shown in this video at 1:21, 1:47, and 1:51: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbn_gn0aVI .
2. Midair jumps. When you run off an edge, there's a brief moment while you're airborne when you can jump as if you were standing on the ground. Shown in this video at 0:53 and 0:57: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgjyY7wxv0 .
3. Rising aerial dodges. When you press the jump key, if you then press the keys for an escape move/a slide quickly-enough, Konoko will do the dodge/slide instead of jumping. If you do this instead of a midair jump, she will do the dodge/slide in the air and rise as she does it. Shown in this video at 1:33: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9zSWe6BLk .
4. Cooldown cancelling. If you drop a gun and pick it up again, the gun is instantly cooled down. Explained in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_FpuAAzKQ .
5. Reload cancelling? Probably not actually a bug, heh. If an opponent starts to reload a gun, if disarm them between the point when the clip is inserted into the gun, but before they finish the reloading animation, the gun is instantly reloaded. Shown in this video at 1:34: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgjyY7wxv0 .
6. Clip destruction. If someone starts to reload a gun and is disarmed before the clip is inserted into the gun, the clip disappears - it's not in their inventory, not in the gun, and not on the ground. No video examples are available to my knowledge.
7. Corpse clipping. Corpses can end up sticking through walls and other corpses and so on. Not sure if this is a bug, or a lack of a feature.
8. Normal clipping. When standing next to a wall, it's possible to stick parts of your body a short way through the wall, to the point where two people can hit each other through a wall if they're both standing right next to it. Not sure if this is a bug, or a lack of a feature.
9. Seeing through walls? Probably not a bug, but a lack of a feature. You can move the camera through walls and see areas that Konoko can't see.
10. Awesome Striker throw-cancel thing. Strikers have a throw that they can cancel out of by doing a dodge, but the opponent still goes through the full throw animation. The Striker can draw and fire a gun while the other person is in the animation. Explained in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG1qMae1Sg
11. Shooting through walls. Shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTtAP_TUbM .

So, please post any that I missed.

Last edited by Paff (07/11/10 23:07)

#2 06/23/10 22:06

Mukade

Re: Bug Compendium

@ number 5... that's not true... there's a certain point in the animation where the gun is reloaded, but about half the animation, the gun is NOT reloaded, if you disarm an enemy early in reload, the gun will not be loaded...

imo, this is not a bug at all, just because the enemy has finished putting in the ammo clip, and hasn't yet finishe the animation of bringing the gun to bear again, doesn't mean the gun is "instantly reloaded".  I suggest removing it from the list... any other opinion?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 06/24/10 05:06

Iritscen

Yes, in my experience what happens most often is that the gun ends up empty.  The same thing happens to you if the enemy disarms you.  If anything, the bug is that when the gun reload is interrupted early, the clip that was being inserted disappears from the universe.  It's not in your inventory anymore, it's not on the ground, it's just gone.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 06/24/10 06:06

demos_kratos

4th one can be fixed by hex-editing the engine. http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_engine_patches_%28Win%29 - 5th experimental patch. I wonder why doesn't daodan patch this.

Last edited by demos_kratos (06/24/10 06:06)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#5 06/24/10 09:06

s10k
Website

I just think that the 1º and 4º are the ones that need to be fixed, other ones I don't see any problem. (are funny, tricky and don't give any a specific advantage)

btw here's a variation to the 1º teleport bug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fHTxZCxDo

#6 06/24/10 17:06

Jon God

1 and 4 seems like they would have the most affect on competitive play, the others, while harmless by themselves, may lead to worse exploits down the line, I say, for now, focus on the 1 and 4 though.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#7 06/24/10 19:06

Paff
Website

on #5 and clips disappearing:
I hadn't noticed the clip actually making it into the gun first, and I guess I've never noticed the clips disappearing.

The reload animation definitely has extra components that look like they should be required to finish loading the gun, is why I mistook it for a bug. But if it's specific to when the clip actually goes into the gun, then I guess it's just sloppy animations instead of an actual bug.

I've listed the clips disappearing as a new #6.

on the variation of the teleport backbreakers:
Ah, good point. There is one example of that in the video I orginally posted, so I've marked that time in the OP entry for #1, as well as mentioning that it works for more than just the backbreaker.

Does anyone know if the teleport-backthrow glitch works for other characters' backthrows? Or is it just Konoko's backthrows?

Last edited by Paff (06/24/10 20:06)

#8 06/25/10 02:06

love_Oni

It works for the back throws of any characters, as I have known. And more than that, it also works for running-back-throw, when you are running ahead an opponent, and even for front throw, if the opponent is in your back, but not facing to your back (a little confused, isn't it?) Those bugs, I always use for fun smile

@Script_10k: I think the same with you. The 1st and 4th need to be fixed. The 2nd and 3rd don't matter, it makes us more flexible. The 5th and 6th seem fine to me.

By the way, there are some other bugs like: dead body can go through the wall, seeing through the wall is possible... Do you think they should be fixed? If I were asked, I'd say "no" because I like them and I can't imagine how it would be without them. sad

demos_kratos wrote:

4th one can be fixed by hex-editing the engine. http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_engine_patches_%28Win%29 - 5th experimental patch. I wonder why doesn't daodan patch this.

Yeah, I wonder why the 4th one hasn't been fixed yet?

Last edited by love_Oni (06/25/10 03:06)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#9 06/25/10 14:06

Phydur

about #6; afaik, you dont need to be dissarmed. i remember being frustrated when i was trying to load a gun, only to be staggered.. and not only have an empty gun, but short a ammo clip/energy cell.
i just took the habbit of only reloading when the enemys where suficently a distance away. and just holdstering the gun when i was out of ammo.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#10 06/25/10 14:06

s10k
Website

love_Oni wrote:

By the way, there are some other bugs like: dead body can go through the wall, seeing through the wall is possible... Do you think they should be fixed?

I think. At least the first one should be.

#11 06/25/10 15:06

Jon God

I thought Bungie said seeing through a wall was a 'feature'?

Jon-God.jpg

#12 06/25/10 16:06

Leus
Website

You gotta see through the wall or everything would get messed up when you get close to one.

Edit:  I wonder, though, if you could make it so it's like a one-way thing...  Like you can ONLY see what's on your side of the wall?

Last edited by Leus (06/25/10 16:06)

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#13 06/25/10 19:06

Paff
Website

K, I'll update the OP with further info.

I'm pretty sure seeing through the walls is a "feature" or at least, it's the best they could do given the constraints of Oni's camera system.

#14 06/26/10 02:06

Jon God

Paff wrote:

K, I'll update the OP with further info.

I'm pretty sure seeing through the walls is a "feature" or at least, it's the best they could do given the constraints of Oni's camera system.

I agree. smile

Though, I am not sure what other ways there are to do it, without making it worse.

Jon-God.jpg

#15 06/26/10 11:06

Mukade

Yeah. I'm not sure the camera is able to move like that, but it is something worth looking into, as it does affect gameplay

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#16 06/27/10 19:06

Paff
Website

Yeah, the camera issue is one that we might want to change if we can. It's really hard to say if it'll have a detrimental effect or not, though.

#17 06/27/10 19:06

Mukade

Well, seeing through walls is helpful, though everytime I do it, I can't help but feeling a bit guilty for peaking in where I shouldn't be able to peak. In MP, if I wanted to set up an ambush for someone, I can't do it cause someone is looking thorugh a wall at me and theres nothing i can do about it

#18 06/27/10 20:06

Paff
Website

There are limits on the angles you can see through walls, so it may still be possible to ambush people, and it may even be possible to use it to see the other person moving in another room and help set your ambush up. But I'm not sure on that at all; it's the sort of thing we'd have to test to know for sure.

#19 06/27/10 22:06

Jon God

I think the walls bug should really be fixed, at least for multiplayer, now that I think on in. It's one of those things that take away from strategy. Imagine trying to defend a base in CTF, but having people able to look through walls to find where everyone is hidden in defense.

Jon-God.jpg

#20 06/27/10 23:06

TheCreature

I vote for keeping the cameras more or less the same as they are.  My reasons are as follows:

When I get into a tight corner or back up against a wall, I can still see my normal field of vision, as opposed to other third person games I've played, where if you do that, the camera winds up getting pushed forward and/or up, so you either are now in first person, or are looking down at your character from above.

You can only see through walls at certain angles, so you can only really see someone if they're close to the wall.  Of course, you can see around corners very easily, and I'm not sure how much we can do about that.

If we wanted to restrict looking around corners or through walls, we might have to apply a "fog of war" type code/script that makes everything not in line of sight with your character completely blacked out, or at least hides characters/powerups/etc.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#21 06/27/10 23:06

Jon God

I like the fog of war idea, actually, if possible.

Jon-God.jpg

#22 06/27/10 23:06

Mukade

doesn't seem like something the Oni engine is capable of pulling off, and even if it could, sounds potentially very buggy and rough, but yes, it is still a good idea

#23 06/28/10 04:06

love_Oni

Ah. We just forgot this bug.

When you play as a striker and you rapidly press fw+punch in front of an enemy, the victim will be picked up as a result of a throw but you still do a punch forward.

Here's the movie showing the bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG1qMae1Sg

This "mysterious" bug has been known for long but it seems no one has fixed it. Of course, I think it should be fixed. tongue

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#24 06/28/10 13:06

Mukade

Good catch, it's bugs like these that kinda slip our notice... seems easily fixable to me, doesn't seem like something in the Melee ID just something in the animation itself that can be tweeked

Last edited by Mukade (06/28/10 13:06)

#25 06/29/10 19:06

Paff
Website

love_Oni wrote:

Here's the movie showing the bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG1qMae1Sg

This "mysterious" bug has been known for long but it seems no one has fixed it. Of course, I think it should be fixed. tongue

Whoa, that's awesome! I imagine lots of people want it fixed, though. sad

I'll add it to the OP.

Board footer