Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/28/10 21:05

Paff
Website

What did everyone like about Oni?

Similar to Jon God's "disappointment" thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1622 .

What is it about Oni that we all like so much? And what have people we've talked to said they liked about it?

I'll be compiling a list of it all in the "debates and stuff" thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1605 .

And I'll go ahead and kick it off with my list. I may have to add to it later if I think of anything more:

- I'd never played a game with such complex fighting mechanics before.
- The controls were (mostly) easy to learn.
- There's a huge variety of tactical situations based on how many bad guys there are, where they are, what guns they have, what gun you have, what the terrain is like, et cetera, which gives the game lots of depth and replay value.
- I'd never played a shooter with such interesting guns before.
- The realism and the kung-fu-and-gunplay are really cool in combination.
- Some of the cutscenes are really cool. Particularly noteworthy are escaping from the atmospheric processor, diving into the acid, and jumping out of the airplane.
- The plot had lots of really cool concepts. Particularly the chrysalises, the "wilderness preserves", and the dystopian themes.
- Killing lots of bad guys with your bare hands is a great form of stress relief. tongue
- The realism and how powerful the player is makes one feel badass.
- The Deadly Brain is hilarious.
- The Tankers are amusing, personality-wise.

Last edited by Paff (05/28/10 21:05)

#2 05/28/10 22:05

Iritscen

Re: What did everyone like about Oni?

- Realistic level architecture, at least for games at the time; this was one of the three things that got me excited when watching the original trailer
- Smooth and skillful animations, for games at any time!; this was the second thing that impressed me from the start

The third thing I was impressed by was the combat itself, which of course has already been mentioned because we all enjoy the combat.  In fact, I rarely use guns because the chop-socky is so much fun.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/29/10 00:05

Mukade

Finding it hard to say stuff that hasn't been said a million times over...

-I like how the plot line leaves alot of leeway (is that how it's spelled?) for extrapolation in other stories, and, even though it isn't being planned for, it leaves a few open ends for a continuation in Oni 2, not to mention all the possibilities for Oni based stories, as we did with Joint Story, and other such things.
-Good gun/melee balance, meaning the guns do not always trump some good hand to hand combat for the upper hand
-Simple enough programming language, and leaves the game open (enough) for mods to be made, through a bit of work through our awesome community
-The community itself is a plus to the game, that is part of the exprience imo, I love you guys  big_smile
-Not only a complex melee system, but gravity-defying, visually awesome moves. (Has anyone seen Iron Man 2? I've been wanting to add some moves from that secret agent chick to the game  yikes  )
-Good character development, and just good personalities in general

Last edited by Mukade (05/29/10 00:05)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#4 05/29/10 08:05

Loser

Artificial Intelligence
Regardless what reviewers were crying about, this game is one of the slowly dying genre - games where AI can and will kill you if you don't do something.

And that "enemies will be able to communicate etc..." Iritscen, can you please make some sticky topic, where in big letters is stated that Quinn Dunki is very abitious lady who was forced to leave the game early and whole AI2 we have now (hence AI2) was done by Chris Butcher?

Combat system
Not the best one under the sun (no throw escaping, no parry or reversal, no ground grappling, no melee weapons) but highly stylish.
And again - both player and AI have same chances (well, AI cheats from time to time) so each ecounter is entertaining enough.

Multiplayer
Yes, I believe Gumby will finish Flatline, so I am stating it in pros ^_^

Tanbou

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#5 05/29/10 09:05

Iritscen

Loser wrote:

And that "enemies will be able to communicate etc..." Iritscen, can you please make some sticky topic, where in big letters is stated that Quinn Dunki is very abitious lady who was forced to leave the game early and whole AI2 we have now (hence AI2) was done by Chris Butcher?

People ought to read the "Oni" article on our wiki more often; they'd learn most of what there is to know about the game's development (I wish we knew more).  If anything should be stickied, it's that Oni is not owned by Bungie smile

But yes, Dunki had a lot of ambition, though she may have been too young to pull it off.  She was apparently fired two years into the game's development, probably because her piece of the work was taking too long and/or the higher-ups felt she wasn't capable of pulling off what she was planning.  I bet they didn't realize at the time how long the game still had before it was ready to release.  I would have liked to see what Quinn could have done with that time, instead of bringing in someone new to re-do things from "scratch".  I put "scratch" in quotes because I would imagine Chris Butcher used some of her code when setting up the ai2_ routines.

Also, and this is not meant as an insult to Butcher, Bungie's kid genius who is now a Grizzled Ancient, but I can't help but wonder if he really was better at his job back then than Quinn was, based on some of the bugs in the released game (broken AI dodging due to a simple error, semi-broken AI disarming due to a simple error...), and the fact that Quinn went on to be a senior AI programmer at Pandemic for a game that received some praise for its AI in reviews (interesting, the Windows version is now freely downloadable).

Speaking of the disarming bug, didn't anyone ever try to find and patch it, Loser?  Hardy himself had suggested someone try it years ago.

(P.S.: Sorry if this is OT.)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 05/29/10 13:05

Gumby

I believe part of the problem with Oni was rushed beta testing at the end. Things just fell through the cracks. You'd have to ask someone who was involved in beta testing though.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#7 05/30/10 17:05

Lithium

The OST, cheap and hilarious deaths, and of course amusing glitches found in vanilla oni

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 05/31/10 20:05

gorilla325

melee combat, not too hard to pick up in the beginning and with great potential for future enhancement.   

the incredibly sophisticated soft lock on system.  tekken force mode was pathetic compared to Oni.  Severance Blade of Darkness was very sad too in comparison with Oni. 

i actually liked the graphic.  it's simple, easy to my eyes. 

the animation was incredible.  can't ever forget the first time i tackled a guy, or disarm an enemy

#9 05/31/10 23:05

Mukade

well put gorilla, I've also always liked the elegantly simple models in the game. It's be nice to have some nice HD textures, or even new ones, but the ones we hav now, especailly severED textures are great

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#10 06/02/10 09:06

northero
Website

-storyline how konoko got to know tat her enemy is actually her brother and her past
-sci-fi about the chrysalis and wad it can do and tat there is actually no way to stop
-combat systems kick bad guys butt and also a possibility of getting kicked too which some modern games are lacking.. I dun like kicking too many butts without getting mine kicked seiously

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#11 06/03/10 15:06

Lithium

im pretty sure a lot of us knew muro was mai's brother...i mean that hair just screamed it

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#12 06/03/10 20:06

Mukade

big_smile

Yeah... although when I first played it, I don't think I clued into that... too young

Last edited by Mukade (06/03/10 20:06)

#13 06/07/10 01:06

Paff
Website

Sorry to disappear from this thread like that. Work got very very busy last week.

Since the thread seems to have wound down, I've gone ahead and created a new one, for what changes we'd like to see: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1637

Board footer