Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/03/08 09:08

s10k
Website

Permanent glass?

Can't do you do what you did with bullets?

#2 08/03/08 22:08

Your_Mom
Website

Re: Permanent glass?

Uhh...I shudder to imagine what would happen if Glassworld (or p3_everything_breakable) were to be used...

droid803sig.jpg

#3 08/04/08 00:08

Gumby

What is this about permanent glass? You want the shards to stay where they are?

I'll look at it tomorrow, but things like glassworld will cause problems (and p3_everything_breakable is already bad enough). But I'll see about increasing the timer to 5 minutes or so (like the bullets)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 08/04/08 07:08

s10k
Website

Gumby wrote:

What is this about permanent glass? You want the shards to stay where they are?

Yup, if permanent is not possible increase the time. Regards.

#5 08/04/08 11:08

Gumby

Permanent is possible, but maybe not the best idea, we'll see...

#6 08/04/08 18:08

Iritscen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but glass shards are polygons and bullet casings are 2D sprites, so there is a huge difference in CPU strain between persistent casings and persistent shards.  Just look at what happens when you break a lot of stuff in the environment with p3_everything_breakable and how it slows a modern computer down.  Without any lifespan on the shards, the levels would run slower and slower and then probably crash, if you were excessive in shooting out windows.

P.S.: An Oni physics question: if glass shatters, can its shards land on another pane of (unbroken) glass?  And if that pane is broken, do the shards that were sitting on it then fall to the ground along with the newly-broken pane?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 08/04/08 19:08

Gumby

Yes, I believe so. And you wouldn't have to worry about CPU strain. Something about it not drawing the shards when it isn't in view. I'm not 100 percent sure though. I didn't get around to doing this -_-

#8 08/04/08 20:08

Iritscen

Gumby wrote:

Yes, I believe so. And you wouldn't have to worry about CPU strain. Something about it not drawing the shards when it isn't in view.

Yeah, but I wonder if it isn't still calculating the physics of those fallen shards many times every second.  Otherwise they wouldn't be able to fall from one object to another like I was asking about in my last post.  So as long as they are present in the level, the game is checking constantly to see if they should be doing something.  Just a guess on my part, we can always experiment and find out that way.

#9 08/05/08 00:08

Gumby

No, it should only have to be checking for particle=>wall (floor) collision. There is only one force being applied (gravity). That makes 2 things for each shard. Still, there can be a lot of shards. But just remember that stuff like Barabus's regeneration particles have just as many (probably more) particles to worry about, and with a bit more calculation put into each.

Still, I haven't tested this -_-

#10 08/05/08 01:08

Gumby

Ok, tested it, got rid of all of the glass in the entrance of the State Building.

Results: Well, it didn't slow my computer down. I did get a sorting buffer overflow warning in the dev console when I looked at the glass, but it doesn't show up when you aren't looking at it. I'm not quite sure about the consequences of that type of error though. Typically I only get it when I really spam some sort of particle. It doesn't seem to lag me though. And that was A LOT of glass.

For those who are interested until I can get a .oni version: Go into OUP's RAW editor, open up 3RAPglass_bit.BINA, and change 0x64 to 0000 0000.

#11 08/05/08 04:08

s10k
Website

Gumby wrote:

Ok, tested it, got rid of all of the glass in the entrance of the State Building.

Results: Well, it didn't slow my computer down. I did get a sorting buffer overflow warning in the dev console when I looked at the glass, but it doesn't show up when you aren't looking at it. I'm not quite sure about the consequences of that type of error though. Typically I only get it when I really spam some sort of particle. It doesn't seem to lag me though. And that was A LOT of glass.

For those who are interested until I can get a .oni version: Go into OUP's RAW editor, open up 3RAPglass_bit.BINA, and change 0x64 to 0000 0000.

Seems nice. I will try it. Thanks.

#12 05/22/10 17:05

s10k
Website

Sorry for reviving the topic, there's any change to someone do a package for AE with glass during more time to disappear like Loser bullets? If not, can someone teach me?

Thanks.

edit\

tried edit BINA3RAPglass_bit.xml, converted it to .oni and imported it was one package but isn't working.

I tried editing the values <Lifetime>, <DecalFadeFrames> and <TimeToDie>.

Last edited by s10k (05/22/10 18:05)

#13 05/22/10 19:05

Gumby

Make sure it isn't being overwritten by dangerous glass

#14 05/23/10 04:05

s10k
Website

#15 05/31/10 12:05

s10k
Website

Forget. It seems that works now with latest Edition.

edit\

Where's the package:
http://mods.oni2.net/node/139

Last edited by s10k (05/31/10 13:05)

#16 05/31/10 13:05

Iritscen

Sometimes it really helps to just start over from scratch with a new Edition.  I've seen that solve odd problems of my own, too.

#17 05/31/10 15:05

Gumby

Script, load up State and blow up all the windows there. If I recall correctly that causes problems with long lasting glass.

#18 05/31/10 17:05

s10k
Website

It didn't lagged. It displayed some buffer overflowed messages in the dev console but nothing special. And also that seems the more extreme glass breaking that can happen in the game, excluding the everything_breakable variable.

#19 05/31/10 18:05

Mukade

At that point, it would simply be the players own discretion to turn it on or off as needed, maybe put a warning or sumthin :-/

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Board footer