Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 05/17/10 15:05

Charles

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

Really appreciate all your work, Edwin.

Will we ever be able to get it to run at a smooth 60 FPS? Or reduce the screen tearing? Or will Oni's rendering engine always be a limiting factor no matter how fast one's machine is?

#52 05/18/10 03:05

edddeduck

it runs at a silly high fps now on my machine, will see if we can get vsync into the engine to stop the tearing but this week I have been caught up with Rome Total War stuff and Mini Ninjas but if I have some time I will have another go at fixing and adding in stuff.

Edwin

#53 05/18/10 12:05

Jon God

While I run on mac, I run on an old PPC mac, but I want you to know we all appreciate what you are doing.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#54 05/18/10 16:05

Dirk Gently
Website

edddeduck wrote:

it runs at a silly high fps now on my machine, will see if we can get vsync into the engine to stop the tearing but this week I have been caught up with Rome Total War stuff and Mini Ninjas but if I have some time I will have another go at fixing and adding in stuff.

Edwin

just curious on the last update, was sparkle enabled/setup?

#55 05/19/10 03:05

edddeduck

Dirk Gently wrote:
edddeduck wrote:

Edwin

No, it did not work sad and I ran out of time to find out why, will try and have another go this weekend. As soon as Sparkle is working I can pass out betas to a nice wide audience as fixes will be easier to release.

Edwin

#56 05/19/10 19:05

Dirk Gently
Website

edddeduck wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
edddeduck wrote:

Edwin

No, it did not work sad and I ran out of time to find out why, will try and have another go this weekend. As soon as Sparkle is working I can pass out betas to a nice wide audience as fixes will be easier to release.

Edwin

nice. Sparkle is pretty easy to setup, I had to use it recently on one or two of my quick hack applications. It was a bit funky the first one or two times I used it, but after that it seemed to operate fine. You just need to get the versions right. if you have not already I would recommend doing it as awakeFromNib, or something similar so you get it caught before you launch the game.

#57 05/22/10 20:05

Charles

edddeduck wrote:

it runs at a silly high fps now on my machine

Is this even while fighting multiple enemies in complex environments like the burning airport corridors? Really looking forward to this!

#58 05/27/10 11:05

godzfire
Banned

Honestly, at this point, I'll take ANY beta, even if it's rough around the edges.

- I really can't take the current way to play Oni, the OOOOLLD PowerPC client.
- In addition to being very slow, you can't AppleTab to other programs; you're stuck in that one and have to quit the program in order to check another application.
- I can't stand it when the camera stops working and ignores my mouse, where all I can do is press my back button.
- Finally, at random, inputting cheats will just stop, no idea why.

#59 05/27/10 13:05

Gumby

Try toggling caps lock if cheats stop working.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#60 05/27/10 17:05

Iritscen

godzfire, isn't it common to not be able to switch to other apps from a game?  I don't play many modern games, so maybe this has become more common since Oni came out.  Also, I find the cheat code bug puzzling, I don't think I've heard of that one before.  But yes, the occasional input drop-outs are very annoying.  Those will be a thing of the past with this new build.

Anyway, I hope everyone keeps in mind that Edwin is working on this in his spare time, and I don't even know how anyone in game development finds spare time.  So this is really a labor of love for him to be spending time on a nine year old game.  That being said, thanks for expressing interest in the Intel build, it's good to show that we Mac users care and that Oni is still a valuable game to us.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#61 05/27/10 18:05

Gumby

It is possible in most games to switch in and out.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#62 05/27/10 19:05

Iritscen

Well, I'm asking about Mac games.  Not sure that it's as common as in Windows.

#63 05/27/10 22:05

Jon God

I am always tabbing out in Myth. I probably wouldn't play it as much if I couldn't.

Jon-God.jpg

#64 05/29/10 11:05

Charles

I suppose the frame rate is good already on my machine (I don't know how to get the frame rate to display), it's just the screen tearing that makes it look like the rate is slower. It's most heinous when moving the camera horizontally at a moderate pace around a large room, as one would expect.

Until I looked up vsync, I didn't have an intuitive grasp of what was happening. So, vsync detects your monitor's refresh rate and gets the engine to output frames at the same rate? Assuming you'll enable triple buffering, is this something that can be implemented without much trouble? I don't want to get my hopes up, because this is easily my most wanted update to Oni. Not new mods or anything.

Most of the enjoyment in the game for me is just moving the camera around and enjoying the sense of space I get from the architecture. I have to move the camera very very slowly to not notice the tearing. If it's possible to get that level of smoothness all the time, I'd probably weep with joy.

#65 07/03/10 22:07

godzfire
Banned

edddeduck wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
edddeduck wrote:

Edwin

Edwin

Yea.....that was almost 2 months ago. A test build would be nice any time now.

#66 08/11/10 12:08

Rostner

I would love to test this when a new beta is released. I haven't played this game in years because of the mouse problems on intel. I can only spin about 2 times either way before i stop. This is the only reason why I quit. Looking forward to it though!!! big_smile

#67 08/21/10 03:08

mwulffn

Hi Edwin

First of all, I think it's great that you try to get Oni intel native. I still love this game after all these years smile

Now as a fellow developer I would like to ask if you require help with the port. I am a seasoned developer though not in the area of game development, but I would like to help.

So please let me know if there is anything I can do?

/Michael

#68 08/22/10 09:08

Dirk Gently
Website

mwulffn wrote:

Hi Edwin

First of all, I think it's great that you try to get Oni intel native. I still love this game after all these years smile

Now as a fellow developer I would like to ask if you require help with the port. I am a seasoned developer though not in the area of game development, but I would like to help.

So please let me know if there is anything I can do?

/Michael

heh, same thing I had originally asked. Unfortunately we cannot do anything more than test. Due to IP rights and such the code cannot leave the hands of the folks at feral.

#69 08/22/10 13:08

EdT
Website

Be assured that work is being done on the Intel build, we just have to be patient. :-)

#70 08/27/10 22:08

Jon God

Sign me up, I now have a family member's computer to test it on. smile

Jon-God.jpg

#71 08/31/10 23:08

boondoggle

I installed OS 9 on a dual 800Mhz G4 this weekend just to play Oni.  It has been a few years, and wow it is still awsome.

I would so love an intel version.  I can test it on a MacPro 8 core Xeon, and a macbook pro unibody (core2).

#72 09/08/10 07:09

desp

Edwin, thank you very much for this effort.

I would be pleased to be able to help with the testing.  I'm a programmer with a few years worth of experience, so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

On a related note — I actually contacted OmniGroup in 2005, asking it it would be possible to release the source code to the Mac OS X port of Oni.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the ability to do so, due to not owning the code.  Edwin, do you suppose open-sourcing Oni would be possible at this stage?

#73 09/08/10 12:09

EdT
Website

Its great to see interest in the Intel Beta.  I can assure everyone that work is slowly being done on it.  I've heard that incorporating the Sparkle framework is the challenge right now. Sparkle itself is not the issue, rather getting Oni to work with Sparkle is difficult.

So everyone, please continue to be patient, once a release is available, you be the first to be informed through this thread.  smile

For future reference, who has experience with C programming  and/or network programming on the Mac?  With the effort to enable multiplayer in the Flatline project, one day we'll need Mac programmers to make a Mac version of it.

#74 09/23/10 19:09

godzfire
Banned

It's been 5 months, if adding Sparkle takes this long we're never going to see a beta.

#75 09/23/10 20:09

Iritscen

Sorry if it has seemed like not much is happening on this front, but I'm guessing you should hear some good news in a couple weeks.  Thanks to all for your interest.

Board footer