Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#101 05/21/10 13:05

Mukade

Re: Debates And Stuff - Current Topic: Desired Changes In Oni

TOCS wrote:

Having fun with the long novels? big_smile
Anyways, are we going to see some updated footage of Flatline in near future? I'm just wondering where the project went, since the last preview was two years ago. roll

Nooo, I actually remember some quite recent "previews" at least concerning the progress, if you cycle through the "pictures" thread. It's somewhere near the last 5 pages or so

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#102 05/21/10 15:05

Jon God

/Sorry, I can get carried away, I write blogs, and such.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#103 05/21/10 18:05

TheCreature

If you'll let me go back a little, I have an idea for "countering" throws.  Instead of escaping from throws, could we make it so that the "counter" simply reduces the damage you take?  Then the counter could be just like a normal block, cause it wouldn't be invincible.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#104 05/21/10 20:05

Mukade

That's not a bad idea... except we're back where we started. The problem isn't not being able to comletely stop the animation. The problem is that we can't get the game to register a throw as a condition, or to be able to do anything about it.

I may be wrong...

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#105 05/22/10 06:05

Loser

THREAD HIJACK
Throw escape tech demo

Real Life wrote:

Screw this, I am going home...

Last edited by Loser (05/22/10 06:05)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#106 05/22/10 06:05

Iritscen

Haha, I was hoping you'd show up and do that.  I was going to link to that demo of yours but I couldn't find the movie on your site.

Edit: Hmm, is this a new demo?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#107 05/22/10 06:05

Loser

You bet it is new, did it today instead of studies for exam.

Solved escaping issue - now you can escape the sequence after initial stun. Requires reflexes and a bit of luck, but can be done.

Performed with AI which was set to throw each time it gets a chance, so "double stun" is present due to that. AI can force throws (does not have to virtually press attack + forward), so it grabbed me from escape move several times in a video.

I doubt player can pull off that "double stun", especially if we count in lags.

Tanbou

Last edited by Loser (05/22/10 06:05)

#108 05/22/10 09:05

Mukade

Well done! Do I dare ask what you messed around with to pull that off? Like, was it an XML setting or did you get into that deep coding stuff that i don't understand?

#109 05/22/10 11:05

Paff
Website

Impressive. And interesting. I haven't played any games with throw escapes before, so now I'm all curious about them, heh.

It seems like they have the potential to make the throw moves more or less useless, but I imagine the game developers wouldn't want that. Do throw escapes require extremely precise timing that's difficult to predict beforehand, or something?

(Also, I've got a listing of settled and unsettled points from this conversation up in the OP, so if anyone wants to discuss anything from there, go ahead.)

EDIT: Finally got a chance to try Mukade's VDG mod. It's really fun. I think in the long run, though, it would probably be more interesting to just shorten the VDG's stun time (so your best followup to a VDG shot, instead of just a backbreaker every time, would vary depending on how far away you were etc). But I'd definitely consider turning the PSP into something like Mukade's version of the VDG.

Last edited by Paff (05/22/10 14:05)

#110 05/22/10 16:05

Jon God

Loser wrote:

THREAD HIJACK
Throw escape tech demo

Real Life wrote:

Screw this, I am going home...

I really, really like this.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#111 05/22/10 16:05

s10k
Website

Jon God wrote:

I really, really like this.

Last edited by s10k (05/22/10 16:05)

#112 05/22/10 21:05

Gumby

Nice. Don't go deleting the files. tongue Or even better, send them to me so I can see. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#113 05/22/10 22:05

EdT
Website

Loser: Please share your experiments with us :-)

#114 05/23/10 05:05

Loser

Here guys, have fun with it.

As for EdT - you should start thinkning about creating some nice animations for these "stuns" and throw escapes.

Don't be scared. All Konoko derived, all Striker derived and all Comguy derived classes need these:

- punch stun anim (gut punch) + response
- kick stun anim (gut knee) + response

^Those should be very, very short

Next:
- stunned in pain
- fall to the ground from stun
- escape move(s)

We can have as much escape moves as we want, but I would like to see one offensive escape move ( some sort of counterattack ) and one defensive ( quick dashout ).

First is good to be used in 1 vs 1 as you can reverse situation and became attacker.
Second is useful vs group as it is better to back away.

Tanbou

Last edited by Loser (05/23/10 05:05)

#115 05/23/10 18:05

EdT
Website

Tanbou: Thank you, the moves work great.  Paradox may start looking at the TRAMs, he is more creative than me :-)

Note to everyone else:  If you want the other AI's to react to the "Stun" punch you will need to add the following to the their TRAC:

<TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>100</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMKONOKOwatch_radio</Animation>
            </TRACAnimation>
            <TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>100</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMKONOKOwatch_start</Animation>
            </TRACAnimation>
              <TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>100</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMKONOKOwatch_stop</Animation>
            </TRACAnimation>

#116 05/24/10 21:05

Paff
Website

Well, it looks like that discussion has wound down, so Jon God has gone ahead and started a new thread to discuss everything that we don't like about Oni, so we know what to change going forwards in order to get and keep new players. Check his thread out at http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1622.

#117 05/28/10 21:05

Paff
Website

And now it looks like the thread about what we don't like has wound down, so I've gone ahead and started another new thread to discuss everything that we DO like about Oni. This time it's so we know what to keep and expand upon going forwards in order to get and keep new players. Check the new thread out at http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1625.

#118 06/07/10 01:06

Paff
Website

Similarly, the "likes" thread has wound down, so I've gone ahead and started another new thread. This one is to discuss what we'd like to see changed about Oni to make it even better, particularly in the context of multiplayer. The new thread is at http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1637 .

Board footer