Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/06/10 17:04

Slasher X

Modding help

What do I need to do, or what modding tools do I need to make a custom made mod for Oni?

#2 04/06/10 17:04

Iritscen

Re: Modding help

That all depends on what part of Oni you're planning on modding!  What did you have in mind?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/07/10 00:04

TOCS

If you have the AE installed, I suggest you to look at the galore: http://wiki.oni2.net/Main_Page there's plenty of info on how to create it all, and also a good inspiration for whatever you're gonna make.

#4 04/07/10 17:04

Slasher X

I was planning on to make a total different story line not focusing on Konoko or any of the characters in the game.  Just a kung-fu mod that uses the Oni engine with guns, blades, and large amounts of gore. But thanx for the imput from you guys.  How do you install  Oni AE?  Becuase I tryed to install it and nothing happened.  Do you need Oni installed on your computer to work Oni AE, just curious though.

Thanx guys.

Last edited by Slasher X (04/07/10 17:04)

#5 04/08/10 00:04

TOCS

The AE is a mod for Oni that allows us to mod the game alot easier, it is suggested to have if you want the best possibilities.

Unfortuneatly I don't think your project is possible yet, some parts might be, and it will take alot of time to do. I could list bunch of things which will be hard to do, but I'm just warning you; don't expect too much as of yet, in the future you might be able to make a total conversion. wink

I suggest you to start out slowly. Get familiar with the file types, and know what they are and what they do. Read a little on the galore about the thing you wan't to do.

Remember you can always ask if you're in doubt about something, but right now I suggest you getting the AE for a start.

Last edited by TOCS (04/09/10 14:04)

#6 04/09/10 13:04

Slasher X

Thanx TOCS, really appreciate the feedback.  And thanks for the tips!! big_smile

#7 04/20/10 18:04

Mukade

Well, the modding doesn't require many tools... to list some

Notepad/Wordpad -- BSL programming, scripts, opening XML files etc..
Onisplit - a must have... to convert oni files to recogzieable formats and back again
AE Installer - To recompile your mod into the game
Any 3d modelling software, XSI is a good one -- for obvious reasons..

Really, thats all I can think of and as far as I know, thats all you really need to make a good mod. But TOCS is right, it would be difficult and VERY long, you would have to model all the new characters, BSL programming, while it's syntax is simple enough, takes awhile to do, not to mention simple concept. But you can do stuff a bit at a time, and maybe release them as seperate mods until you want to make something solid from them

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#8 04/29/10 15:04

Slasher X

I was thinking Mukade, about the 3d modellilng software XSI.  Instead of using that 3d software can you us Milkshape to do 3d models for Oni?

#9 04/29/10 17:04

Iritscen

I don't know Milkshape, but if it can save DAEs, you can model for Oni with it.  If it can at least save OBJs, you can model weapons with it.  You might just have to work some kinks out in the export/import process if your 3D app doesn't handle the DAE standard quite the way OniSplit expects.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer