Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/23/10 22:03

gorilla325

any thoughts on Oni's platforming?

i think most people will agree that, there are only two main components for action games.  one is combat, the other one is how characters moved around. 

Oni's combat is great.  it's platforming ability, however, was kind a disappointment to me.  i mean mai could do so many things, she still outdo almost any game characters nowadays.  but i felt that all the awesome flips, slides, jumps, really did not have much effect on the overall game experience at all.  most of the time, the only thing really required was to dash.  jumping was only consistently useful in attack, granted that was fun.  plus, since you could not hang on the edges, why bother jumps? 

any thoughts on this?  there must be a way to make Oni better by integrating all her agility into something meaningful.  maybe not something as fancy as prince of persia sands of time series, or assassin's creed, or even mario. but something in between.

Last edited by gorilla325 (03/23/10 22:03)

#2 03/23/10 22:03

Lithium

Re: any thoughts on Oni's platforming?

Go play rooftops again wink

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 03/24/10 00:03

Gumby

Gumby wishes for Oni 2....

In any case, there are plenty of places to use parkour moves, mostly used for getting secrets though. Someday I may go through the maps and add a few more. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 03/24/10 05:03

Iritscen

I totally agree, gorilla325.  I'm not sure how much Bungie intended to emphasize platforming with Oni, but even Rooftops is just a jump here and a jump-flip there.  If we were able to add just ledge-grabbing (to pull herself up onto something or hand-walk along its edge), we could allow Konoko to be much more stealthy and make more use of her surroundings.  Probably would be really hard without source, but yeah.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 03/24/10 11:03

gorilla325

yeah, i know about the secret things.  however, i was talking about overall game experience.  i love to fight bunch of enemies.  but dashing around looking for exit, or jumping flipping looking for secrets was kind idle to me, and sad too. 

the rooftop thing was actually not bad.  it's refreshing. because the jump finally had some meaning.  i was thinking that if we could make those security laser beams into something of a jump/slide sequence?  i always had problem with the laser beams thing.  i think it's because of my inability to fathom the depth between mai and the laser beams.  but somehow, i think this might work.  tongue  just brain storming.... 

ideally, i would love to see a chasing scene like in assassin's creed series.  that was intense and fun.  and it gives every acrobatic movements meaning and purpose.  however, i could see this might not be able to do for now.   

i am wondering could the able people in this community to propose a project plan to some big companies, so they could get funding to start Oni2....or something similar...  just daydreaming...

#6 03/24/10 14:03

Lithium

well i tried the PC version and the jumping is so much better than what i was used to, but yea most of the platforming isn't really useful. Of course platforming wasn't my issue in rooftops it was my lighting. And i agree with the lasers comment. Also i too wished for a chase sequence, like Mai chasing Mukade.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#7 03/24/10 14:03

EdT
Website

Did you guys ever try Mukade's Crazy Escape?
http://mods.oni2.net/node/35

#8 03/25/10 01:03

TOCS

I would also like to see a new acrobatic system, which flows more into the gameplay. When it was possible to do prone mode, I guess this will be possible aswell.

#9 03/25/10 05:03

Iritscen

What sort of acrobatics do you mean?

#10 03/25/10 12:03

TOCS

Like going for cover behind a wall, or sneak along with a wall etc. all empty spots.
I'm not sure what the Oni Engine is capable of, but I guess it'll be possible somehow.

Last edited by TOCS (03/25/10 12:03)

#11 03/25/10 14:03

3llense'g

TOCS wrote:

Like going for cover behind a wall, or sneak along with a wall etc. all empty spots.
I'm not sure what the Oni Engine is capable of, but I guess it'll be possible somehow.

That would improve the gunplay significantly. But what does it have to do with acrobatics?

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#12 03/25/10 16:03

TOCS

Well, the fact that you peform a physical action is indeed somehow acrobatic. Doing rolles from one cover to another would be awesome aswell, or maybe running on the walls.

Last edited by TOCS (03/25/10 16:03)

#13 03/25/10 17:03

Iritscen

Okay, I see.  While, technically, things like prone mode and a cover system may not add a lot of functionality to combat, they do add variety, which is a good thing in my book.  The more options you have when moving around and fighting, the more fun you have.  And edge-grabbing would allow different ways to traverse the environment, so it would actually be functionally significant.  Well, it's interesting to think about.  Maybe we'll be able to add these things someday.

#14 03/25/10 20:03

TheCreature

I'm not sure if I understand the diving for cover idea.  Can't you just do a sideways escape move/roll?  And roll/slide from cover to cover?  It might help if there were more machines/furniture/crates to hide behind, but otherwise I don't see what's missing.

As for the edge grabbing... Take a look at the intro to the Warehouse/1st level.  Konoko hangs from a ledge for a second before she jumps down to the window.  Could it be hidden in there?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#15 03/25/10 21:03

EdT
Website

TheCreature: It was probably done in the same manner as this:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 4177#p4177

#16 03/25/10 22:03

TheCreature

Ah, so it was separate animation, not built into the game engine.  Oh well...

Last edited by TheCreature (03/25/10 22:03)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

Board footer