Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/15/10 10:03

Striker

Certain Animation

How can I make one animation apply to a certain group of characters?
For example, as some of you know, when you apply a Willow Kick to a striker, it hits him "Where it hurts"...

So, I decided: Why not add that animation to all male characters? It's not like Muro or a Comguy has "Balls of Steel"... lol

So, my question is, how can I make that certain animation play for every male character when the move "Willow Kick" is applied on them?

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#2 03/15/10 10:03

Mukade

Re: Certain Animation

Here's what you need: find the animation file for willow kick, and then (should be KONCOMbk_fw_k i think, i might check it out) and i'm pretty sure there should be a
KONCOMbk_fw_k_tgt which is the animation done to the target of that hit. Now I'm not certain what makes it so that they are or are not vulnerable to this move, but those files should be a start

Also, I may be wrong, it might be a stagger move by itself

EDIT: Okay, it isn't bk_fw_k_tgt unfortunately, its an animation by itself, Ill try to find it. But what you need to do i think, is open the TRACs of the people who don't have that animation, Onisplit to XML. then open the TRAC of a striker say, who does have it, past the lines of the animation that you need into the one that doesnt have it, and recompile into .oni

Last edited by Mukade (03/15/10 11:03)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 03/15/10 11:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

Here's what you need: find the animation file for willow kick, and then (should be KONCOMbk_fw_k i think, i might check it out) and i'm pretty sure there should be a
KONCOMbk_fw_k_tgt which is the animation done to the target of that hit. Now I'm not certain what makes it so that they are or are not vulnerable to this move, but those files should be a start

Also, I may be wrong, it might be a stagger move by itself

How do I get to that animation? I cannot find it using the OniSplit GUI!
Also, which file type is it and where is it located?

One more thing: To make it do that move, you need to have a script like this:

if (Willow kick is applied)
then
(Character who is hit) perform (Stagger Animation)?

That's just an example, not a real code!

And where should the code be placed?

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#4 03/15/10 11:03

Mukade

well it's a way around it I'll admit, but that's not exactly the way it's done, just give me a sec to find the animation you need

found it
look for animation
TRAMSTRCOMhit_jewels
big_smile

Okay.. heres what you do, use Onisplit to convert the TRAC file of the character you want to be affected by willow kick, open in wordpad, and paste this code in the file

<TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>100</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMSTRCOMhit_jewels</Animation>
            </TRACAnimation>

be sure to place in between the end of one animation </TRACAnimation>
and the beginning of another <TRACAnimation>

then use onisplit to recompile the .oni, put it in a package, and use the AE installer to install it into your game

Last edited by Mukade (03/15/10 11:03)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 03/15/10 11:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

well it's a way around it I'll admit, but that's not exactly the way it's done, just give me a sec to find the animation you need

found it
look for animation
TRAMSTRCOMhit_jewels
big_smile

I can't find it/extract it.
What do you use to extract it, and where do you find it (Directory)?

I tried OniSplit GUI, but it doesn't work, because it needs a .dae file or something like that, and I can't find any .dae files in the level0 animations folder.

#6 03/15/10 11:03

TOCS

Maybe you need to extract the model, together with the animation.
There should be an option for that in OniSplit.

#7 03/15/10 12:03

Mukade

no no, nothing that complex,

anyways, I don't think you need to find the animation, since I gave you the coding you needed above

all you need the the TRAC file of the characters you want to add the animation to

EDIT: OHHH, your trying to extract the animation as an animation file. Don't bother, you don't need to tamper with the animation itself, just who it affects wink

Last edited by Mukade (03/15/10 12:03)

#8 03/15/10 19:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

no no, nothing that complex,

anyways, I don't think you need to find the animation, since I gave you the coding you needed above

all you need the the TRAC file of the characters you want to add the animation to

EDIT: OHHH, your trying to extract the animation as an animation file. Don't bother, you don't need to tamper with the animation itself, just who it affects wink

Where is the TRAC file located, and where do I put the code in? hmm

#9 03/15/10 19:03

Mukade

well, you will see when you open it wink if you don't want to screw it up, just tell me and I'll try to give you a more detailed description

TRAC file is located in Edition>GameDataFolder>level0_animations>TRAC>(The guy you want the animation added to, try muro_animations)

#10 03/16/10 18:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

well, you will see when you open it wink if you don't want to screw it up, just tell me and I'll try to give you a more detailed description

TRAC file is located in Edition>GameDataFolder>level0_animations>TRAC>(The guy you want the animation added to, try muro_animations)

Can you give me a full tutorial on how to make that animation play for another character?
I'm confuzzled. hmm

#11 03/16/10 18:03

Mukade

I'll give it a shot, I need people to correct me if I'm wrong tho

1. Convert the TRAC file of the character you want the animation played for into XML (lets do muro of instance) The file is located in Edition>GameDataFolder>level0_animations>TRAC folder>muro_animations.oni
2. Open muro_animations.xml with wordpad
3a Take these lines of code:

<TRACAnimation>
 <Weight>100</Weight>
 </TRACAnimation>

And paste them into the muro_animations XML, should look like:

<TRACAnimation>
 <Weight>100</Weight>
 <Animation>TRAMMURCOMcomb_p</Animation>
 </TRACAnimation>
<TRACAnimation>
 <Weight>100</Weight>
 </TRACAnimation>
<TRACAnimation>
 <Weight>100</Weight>
 <Animation>TRAMMURCOMcomb_p_p</Animation>
 </TRACAnimation>

(The moves above and below it are just to show where it should be placed, it can go in between any two moves wink )

3b OR you can go yourself to strikercore_animations in the same file as muro_animations, convert it to XML and take those lines of code out yourself if you want and put it into the muro_animations

4. go back to onisplit and recompile the muro_animations.xml file back into .oni format
5. put this into a new package using Onisplit
6. Put the package into the Edition>Install>Packages folder
7. use AE installer to install your mod
8. Test it out wink

#12 03/16/10 18:03

EdT
Website

#13 03/17/10 08:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

Big tutorial thingy.

Thanks so much for the tutorial, I am making the modifications right now!
I already made it into a AE package, but I have a little question before I install it:

If I install it, can I uninstall it, and would it replace the standard one? I wouldn't really NEED to uninstall it, but I just wanted to know... big_smile

Thanks!

EDIT: I made it, installed it, but it didn't work! sad
Muro still has "Balls Of Steel"...

Is it possible that Muro has different bones from the Striker, and their animations just don't want to get along? hmm
It maybe because of that animation is ONLY made for the Striker to use? After all, animation's name is TRAMSTRCOMhit_jewels, and not TRAMMURCOMhit_jewels

Last edited by Striker (03/17/10 09:03)

#14 03/17/10 11:03

Mukade

I don't think that would be a problem... you sure you checked the mod in AE installer and installed it?

Give me a sec, I'll try it myself. If it doesn't work, I may know what it is

Okay, I'm lost sad
It seems to me some animations just don't work for certain characters. I've managed to add willow kick to Mukade before, but I couldn't add Konoko's left_forward_kick move to him for some reason unknown, this may be the same case. May it has to do with their idle position, or run position? I'll bet it would work with any character who had a striker Idle pose... I've noted that the black SWAT have strikers idle pose.

If you want you could try to give muro strikers idle pose so find Muro's idle position in his TRAC and replace it with the strikers, and try it again?

Last edited by Mukade (03/17/10 12:03)

#15 03/18/10 08:03

Striker

Mukade wrote:

I don't think that would be a problem... you sure you checked the mod in AE installer and installed it?

Give me a sec, I'll try it myself. If it doesn't work, I may know what it is

Okay, I'm lost sad
It seems to me some animations just don't work for certain characters. I've managed to add willow kick to Mukade before, but I couldn't add Konoko's left_forward_kick move to him for some reason unknown, this may be the same case. May it has to do with their idle position, or run position? I'll bet it would work with any character who had a striker Idle pose... I've noted that the black SWAT have strikers idle pose.

If you want you could try to give muro strikers idle pose so find Muro's idle position in his TRAC and replace it with the strikers, and try it again?

I attempted in adding the Striker's idle animations to Muro, but they just don't get along... sad
That being said, the Willow Kick still doesn't affect Muro...

Also, I have a little question: When I was editing the XML codes, I noticed that every 3 lines represent an animation that that character can perform. But what got my attention was the

<weight>100</weight>

code.

What is the weight used for in that code? The weight applied on that move?
And the weight is different for some moves. Some of them are 100 and some are just 50.

What is it for? hmm

#16 03/18/10 11:03

paradox-01

In TRAC, "weight" means "probability". Oni's engine takes animations with higher weight values more often than animations with lower weight value in case there exist more than one animations of the same type. E.g. Konoko's sneezing is an idle animation but appears very rarely because the weight value is very low. Same for a certain ninja taunt, etc.

Animations from the parent TRAC (e.g strikercore) become overruled if the child TRAC (e.g. comguy) provides an animation of the same type. So, Muro's "balls of steal" has very probable to come from something else. Maybe it's something in his ONCC or it's the boss flag in CHAR, I don't know.

#17 03/18/10 13:03

Mukade

True, it could be bossflag? You should find a nother character, maybe Tanker? that isn't a boss and try it out

#18 03/20/10 21:03

Striker

I have successfully done it!
I have added the "Striker's Jewel Hit Animation" to the Tanker!

Here is a comparison:

Before Mod                        After Mod
defaulttanker.gifmoddedtanker.gif

Both of those pictures were taken at the exact moment of successful collision of Konoko's foot and Tanker's Jewels. big_smile
Thanks for all your help, I will edit more, and add that animation to as many other characters as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I have tried adding the animation to every male character in the game, but whenever Muro, a Comguy, or a Syndicate Thug spawn, I get the "Blam, Oni Crashed" message, forcing me to close the game.

While editing the codes, I have noticed "Parent" animations from the comguy added to the Scientists, Muro, Syndicate Thug, and a few other characters. That means that those characters use some of Comguy's animations. So, I thought that if I edit the Comguy's parent animations, all those characters would have the Striker's "Jewel Hit" animation. I guess not. The animation most likely will only apply to characters that DO NOT use Comguy's parent animation, such as the Tanker, Elite Striker, Striker, and a few other minor characters. wink

Last edited by Striker (03/20/10 22:03)

#19 03/20/10 22:03

Striker

Sorry, something glitched and made me quote my previous post.

Last edited by Striker (03/20/10 22:03)

#20 03/20/10 22:03

EdT
Website

The comguy's TRAC already has the animation:

<TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>20</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMCOMCOMhit_jewels</Animation>
</TRACAnimation>

So having 2 of the same type of TRAM is probably causing the crash.

All you need to do is increase the weight to 100 and that should work.

Last edited by EdT (03/21/10 00:03)

#21 03/21/10 10:03

Striker

EdT wrote:

The comguy's TRAC already has the animation:

<TRACAnimation>
                <Weight>20</Weight>
                <Animation>TRAMCOMCOMhit_jewels</Animation>
</TRACAnimation>

So having 2 of the same type of TRAM is probably causing the crash.

All you need to do is increase the weight to 100 and that should work.

You are incredibly helpful.  I didn't see that he had the animation already.
Good to see the <Weight> command in work.

Now, I will not only attempt to fix it, but also edit some other animations that I find "Annoying", and decrease their weight, and add some weight to other rare ones that I like (The ones with the weight below 100). big_smile

But I still have a little question: If I edit the COMhit_jewels weight's to be 100, will it play EVERY TIME I hit him using the willow kick? And also, If I do the above, will Muro and other characters using Comguy's parent animations be affected by it also in the same way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:I cannot seem to get it to work. I tried increasing the probability of the Comguy's hit_jewels, then tried using Striker's hit_jewels instead of Comguy's, and still, nothing worked. sad

Last edited by Striker (03/21/10 10:03)

#22 03/21/10 11:03

Samer
Website

the TRAMCOMCOM_hitjewels is present but the move itself is static ...
meaning while the animation indicated by STRCOM_hitjewels is to make the character stagger in pain, that of TRAMCOMCOM_hitjewels just indicates that the character should step backward ...

the COMCOM hit jewels is different from STRIKER_hitjewels .. so simply copy TRAMSTRCOM_hitjewels.oni  and rename it to TRAMCOMCOMhit_jewels.oni and make it into a new package ... by putting it in level0_Animations (or more easily just put it in level0_Animations folder of any other package u have)

a TRAC change or xml editing wouldn't be necessary ...  if u already changed them restore them.

The Tram is found in ....\Edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Animations\level0_TRAM ...
1-you copy TRAMSTRCOM_hitjewels.oni
2-put it in any level0_Aimations folder of any package u have ...
3-rename it from TRAMSTRCOM_hitjewels.oni to TRAMCOMCOM_hitjewels.oni and install using AEinstaller.
4-done .

this should work as u can see :

SNAG-0007.jpg

if i wasn't clear enough tell me and i'll upload it as a package.

Mukade, only throws have tgt TRAMs.

Last edited by Samer (03/21/10 12:03)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#23 03/21/10 12:03

Striker

Samer wrote:

the TRAMCOMCOM_hitjewels is present but the move itself is static ...
meaning while the animation indicated by STRCOM_hitjewels is to make the character stagger in pain, that of TRAMCOMCOM_hitjewels just indicates that the character should step backward ...

the COMCOM hit jewels is different from STRIKER_hitjewels .. so simply copy STRCOM_hitjewels.oni  and rename it to TRAMCOMCOMhit_jewels.oni and make it into a new package ... by putting it in level0_Animations (or more easily just put it in level0_Animations folder of any other package u have)

a TRAC change or xml editing wouldn't be necessary ...  if u already changed them restore them.

this should work as u can see :

SNAG-0007.jpg

if i wasn't clear enough tell me and upload it as a package.

Mukade, only throws have tgt TRAMs.

Wow, I cannot believe that there is a much easier way to this than editing the TRAC's.

Thank you very much. I will release the mod in a few minutes, when I finish the description and add you to the authors.
I will add a download link to the post and everyone will be free to download it and test it.

#24 03/21/10 13:03

Gumby

I think the reason comguys didn't have it is so that the robots aren't vulnerable there.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#25 03/21/10 13:03

Striker

Jewel Fix Release

Installation:

To install, put the "50000JewelFix" folder into
the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Oni\Edition\install\packages

Then, use the AE Installer to install the Fix.

Information:

This fix is applied to all male characters
and allows them to stagger in pain when
successfully hit by the "Willow Kick".

This modification requires that you have the
Anniversary Edition of Oni installed on your
computer.

For more information about Oni Anniversary
Edition, visit:

http://wiki.oni2.net/AE

DOWNLOAD

Last edited by Striker (03/23/10 18:03)

Board footer