Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/09/07 11:08

Lugas

Oni's Scariest Moment

Which is Oni's scariest moment in your opinions?

#2 08/10/07 04:08

Orochi Konoko

Re: Oni's Scariest Moment

I'd have to say when Muro turns into his giant ugly form. I can't think of anything really scary in this game, to be honest.

"Do I look familiar? Remind you of anyone..?"
"Oh god, YOU! Here, please, take these, just don't kill me!"

#3 08/10/07 11:08

Your_Mom
Website

Well Dream Diver creeped me out for a looong time.

droid803sig.jpg

#4 08/10/07 12:08

Loser

The scariest moment is when you are playing TCTF science prison level late in the evening, you have your speakers set on quite high volume but you think they are set on low. Now you are sitting in almost absolute silence for about two hours, focused on your ideas ( only sounds are humming of the PC and your impacts on keyboard). You explore level using Developer mode and accidentaly Konoko falls into the acid. ^_^''' Geyser can tell you consequences of that.

Last edited by Loser (08/10/07 12:08)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#5 08/10/07 15:08

Tyr
Website

Since I was quite young when I first played Oni, I really had some nightmares about the broken Shinatama @ level 13, savepoint 5. I don't know why, but I was completely horrified by it's tag (picture when it was 'talking' and it's voice etc. yikes wink
I couldn't sleep very well for a few days and avoided the level for the rest of that period of playing. tongue
Now, ofcourse many years later, I can't find anything scary either, except for Loser's example which would work big_smile

Last edited by Tyr (08/10/07 15:08)

#6 08/10/07 16:08

bboyzagy

Well I don't get scared but I really hate when this happens in games: I walk around or run so full of myself and all of a sudden somebody sneaks up behind me and starts to beat the crud out of me... The similar thing happened when I was playing Hitman 2 today: I was running so full of myself sure that nobody can see me and all of a sudden I hear a japanesse ninja yell something that made me jump out of my chair...(my speakers were turned on very loud)...

The B-Boy Style Will Live On

#7 08/12/07 20:08

geyser
Website

The Daodan is quite creepy, and you're supposed to be scared by its description, be it in Mukade's talk or Kerr's.
Most people, however, identify with Konoko, so that they are irritated by Mukade and comforted by Kerr.
Then of course there are the people who don't connect with the story at all and are bored by both guys smile

Mukade's scene could have been a more nightmarish encounter, sort of like when you face Muro in Dream Diver.
I think that the atmosphere for that inner Muro is very well done (music, darkness, fog, unexplainable situation).
Other creepy places are the big halls at the start of ACC2 (agoraphobia) and the platforms in ACC1 (vertigo)...

As mentioned earlier, I enjoy exploring the dark and creepy side of the Daodan, even if it isn't stressed in Oni itself.
There is also the dark side of Shinatama, best expressed through Griffin's distress in the Omega Bunker.
Not to mention that splashscreen, which I think is the best-looking in all of Oni (and also the creepiest):
DarkShinatama.png
Note the eyes (red dots).

Last edited by geyser (08/13/07 11:08)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 08/21/07 11:08

azewrath

oh yeah!! hell, i haven't noticed her eyes before. But i have 2 agree, i once was freaked out by the idea of having Shinatama being..... dismantled and combined back into a hideous form. But i think Mukade's laugh really raise the hair of my neck the 1st time i met him....

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#9 09/08/07 11:09

adorage

When Shinatama suddenly flies through the last door in lvl 11 with that ghostly laugh, I find that quite creepy. And of course suddenly being attacked, especially when you're low on health and looking out for every possible danger (or so you think).

And I find enemies with quickie bows scary... can't tell you why wink

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#10 11/19/07 06:11

LastmanSAC

When the game ends.
the mirror cracks.
and only then is the truth triumphant in its monumental defeat.
i found that really bothered me.

#11 12/04/07 23:12

gorilla325

scary moment?  i do'nt see it in the storylines...only when my life was low, and guns kept shooting at me...but it's more annoying than scary.  tongue

#12 12/05/07 15:12

Onilover

hhmm.... Runinng around on the exterior of an atmospheric conversion centre then falling off coz my monitor cant put up its gamma sad

#13 12/11/07 20:12

SektorZ
Website

The scariest thing for me was the 2nd airport level, huge dark outdoors and creepy music... it used to scare me and it still does a little bit.

#14 12/12/07 01:12

Orochi Konoko

Well, I must admit, The 7th Level creeps me out..and seeing Muro torturing Shinatama, then that creepy music plays briefly..Plus that level is really dark and creepy..plus there's enemies in places you'd least expect. Also, one wrong move and you can fall to your doom. Or get shocked to death by those electrical currents on the tubes you have to run across. And yeah..Dream Diver was funny at first..but Shinatama flying around through doors, and laughing like a ghoul kinda creeped me out.. I went to that level late at night, with all the lights off..creepy experience.

"Do I look familiar? Remind you of anyone..?"
"Oh god, YOU! Here, please, take these, just don't kill me!"

#15 12/12/07 21:12

ItemfinderDeluxe

What seems to freak me out everytime is messing around in developer mode on levels with acid pits.  On Dream Diver, I triggered the laser scene to set up the acid, the used Developer Mode to go where you meet the cloaked ninjas. I walked down to the open area, and it looks clear. So I crouch down and start moving around the open area, and I'm not dying horribly. Then I wondered why there was no acid, and looked up to check that I was under the acid. You can guess what happened next.

The funny thing is, Konoko CAN walk around the bottom of the last acid pool in 'neuro' without dying.  Just don't step too close to the grinders, even if you are at the bottom of the pool...

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#16 06/08/08 14:06

Shade

The dream that Konoko had. That scared me for weeks and I was to afrade to go to the room where Evil Konoko is XD

#17 06/08/08 14:06

Barneyhater
Website

First time I played oni I was super hyped when I first played killed barabus. Then I was low on health and decided to explore for a bit. I found a hypo around the back area then a striker just suddenly popped up and killed me and because of the adrenaline i had killing barabus I over reacted and randomly pressed every key I couldnt think of until i got out.

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#18 06/08/08 15:06

Muro

Getting randomly hit by a Mercury bow makes me jump a bit.

#19 06/23/08 06:06

RossyMiles
Website

For me it would have to be the first SMG thug in the warehouse level. That and the deadly brain freaked me out. I was young at the time, I got the demo of the game ages ago.

#20 06/23/08 23:06

gzl5000

Muro wrote:

I actually find that more annoying...it freaks me out more when they miss and I have to run desperately to find cover before they can shoot again. Even worse when you here that soft "pyeww" and have two different shots miss you from opposite directions, and worse yet the first time through the compound: no idea where they are, nowhere to run and if you get hit once you're dead from the second or a fall to your death.

#21 06/02/11 05:06

Yoriko

Muro wrote:

That's why I hate that blue ninja perched on a pillar in the last level, I walk around on the middle beams for a bit, then BLAM I get hit, fall off the beam and die -.-

Last edited by Yoriko (06/02/11 05:06)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#22 06/02/11 13:06

Lithium

The PS2 Loading screen

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#23 06/09/11 04:06

Stevinlewis

Necromancer

#24 06/13/11 14:06

SektorZ
Website

When I was young and played Oni, that would have been the huge dark levels with the scary ambient music (there are several), for example the exteriors of the 2nd airport level. The huge dark (and dead, nothing moving) areas together with the creepy ambient music really affected my childhood brainy. Some rooftops scenes also may have done it.

Overall the game has lots of that. And if someone plays it for the first time (sadly I will never have that experience again), they should feel it.

Edit: I just saw I have a post here from 2007 saying pretty much the same thing. Cool big_smile
Old topic then.

Last edited by SektorZ (06/13/11 14:06)

#25 06/24/11 04:06

Unit 2

Any mission screen featuring Shinatama.

Board footer