Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 06/25/07 13:06

EdT
Website

Re: Oni Script Editor

Tyr: Mac users can open zip files.
I get this error on your link "The requested URL /~rijpkem5/files/mac/0.47/ was not found on this server."

I'll be glad to test it.

#27 06/25/07 16:06

Tyr
Website

Damn, it appeared to be Case sensitive hmm(it was http://www.xs4all.nl/~rijpkem5/Files/Mac/0.47/ instead of http://www.xs4all.nl/~rijpkem5/files/mac/0.47)
It should be there now smile
If a zip file is a bit more convenient, you can also download it from here wink

Note: The .zip (or .tar?) file and the folder include the same data. Just so you know that "My Application" is the standard name for a built application with REALbasic if that is not yet defined with a name (I didn't define that yet for Mac) smile

----------
Update: About something else:
Tomorrow I'll be gone the whole day, so I won't be here to reply to posts (but you're welcome to post of course smile)
Wednesday I'll be back and I'm hoping to have 0.50 done the end of this week or somewhere next week

Last edited by Tyr (06/28/07 06:06)

#28 06/25/07 17:06

geyser
Website

FIY1: URLs are "always" case-sensitive... ("always" = that's the way it is on Apache by default smile )
FIY2: As opposed to ZIP, a .tar doesn't compress the data: it just lets one handle it as a single file.

Last edited by geyser (06/25/07 17:06)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#29 06/25/07 18:06

EdT
Website

Tyr: OSE works on the Mac.

When it starts up I get the message "this application was built with a demo license of REALbasic and will expire in 11 days.  The application will also automatically exit in 5 minutes" 

I've attached a screenshot of how your program looks.

FYI, its best if you distribute OSE for the Mac as a .tar file.  This will produce the Mac program (OSE-v0.47.app). The link to the separate elements won't work because they need a wrapper for the files.

Last edited by EdT (06/25/07 18:06)

#30 06/26/07 00:06

Tyr
Website

K, i'll just publish .tar files then smile
The message is atm still needed (demo version of REALbasic) but i'm working on it wink

OSE looks quite nice on the mac, but the same as geyser had - not everything fits on their buttons etc. Luckily that can be helped smile

Some questions about it:

- Did the highlighter work? I didn't see the if's and func etc colored.
- And if the highlighter did work and if it was a large script (like this one), did the highlighting redraw everything if you type (the scrollbar begins to flicker for a few seconds)?
- Did the on-screen instructions (the text in the bottom-left corner) work?
- And did you get a splash screen and welcome screen? big_smile

I'll take a good look at the screenshot to remove all the clipping on the buttons and text.
Thanks alot for the testing already smile

Last edited by Tyr (06/26/07 00:06)

#31 06/26/07 13:06

EdT
Website

Tyr: To answer your questions:
1) The highlighter did not work, all the text remained the same color. (Note I can change the font, fontsize, color)
2) I didn't notice it at first, but yes the on-screen instructions work as the mouse moves over different items.
3) Yes I got the splash and welcome screen.

Some bugs:
1) The buttons for the Scripts "General | Ai2_ | Chr_ | Powerups | Weapons" does not change the contents underneath.
I only see the ai2 commands no matter which button I select.
2) In your screenshot there is a Function box on the very right side, but I don't see it.
3) Pressing the "New" button crashes the program.

You are doing great so far!

#32 06/26/07 14:06

Tyr
Website

K, thanks big_smile
About the second bug: I hid this window from view as of 0.47, but the screenshot is still 0.45
It was used to select the definition file in which the words, symbols and numbers are stored that are colored and in which color.
To fix this you'll need to download a definitions folder (from here, download the folder completely (or copy the files from the folder into a new folder called "Definitions") and place it in the same directory as the .tar file. Then the highlighting should work (the colors will also differ from the screenshot, since I've updated them too), forgot to tell you this tongue smile

I'll review the tabs and the lists per tab, to make sure that the right one is on the right tab (I'll be testing if it also occurs on the Windows version aswell)
I don't know what would be wrong with the "New" button and if it occurs also in the Windows version (will check), but either way I'll review the code wink

Note: If Windows user want to check out (and thus test) this same version, the .exe is uploaded there together with the updated Definitions/BSL.xml

Last edited by Tyr (06/26/07 14:06)

#33 06/26/07 19:06

EdT
Website

Tyr: Added the Definitions folder and now highlighting works.  smile

#34 06/27/07 02:06

Tyr
Website

EdT wrote:

Tyr: Added the Definitions folder and now highlighting works.  smile

K, now, I'd only like to know if you open an a bit longer script and type something at the top, does the scrollbar and the text field flicker for a few seconds (then it is redrawing all the highlights)?

And geyser:

Tyr wrote:

About this, after I've fixed this and all the parameters/descriptions are correct, can I use the tutorial of Scripting from Scratch (the invisible strikers in the last training room smile) for OSE?
Of course I'll credit the author and give his name with the project. It might be possible to make an interactive tutorial (on-screen instructions with click able options per step roll and stuff which could be worked out quite well I think). I already put a button to it on the welcome menu, but it is still disabled since it doesn't have any function yet.

The question still stands smile, I've implemented the welcome screen of the tutorial, so that if I can do this, I'll be ready for it (it can be quite cool to have on screen instructions, maybe with copyable textfields and explanations) cool

#35 06/27/07 04:06

s10k
Website

Windows 2000 1024x708:

w20001024x708kg5.jpg

#36 06/27/07 05:06

geyser
Website

@ EdT's bug #1:

The buttons for the Scripts "General | Ai2_ | Chr_ | Powerups | Weapons" does not change the contents underneath.

Here it's only true for the last four: ai2, chr_, powerups and weapons...
"general" has a content from the other four.

@ EdT's bug #3:

Pressing the "New" button crashes the program.

Here it does open a new window, but something weird happens to the first one first smile
It somehow disappears, then reappears at another position, under the new one.
If you click New again, the three windows will be rearranged. Unusual smile

@ Script's screenshot: Heh, that had to happen: OSE not fitting into the screen smile
Tyr, surely you've noticed how the line counters are screwed up by the font size?
And another thing... fixed-width fonts are preferred when editing code wink

@ highlights redrawing:

if you open an a bit longer script and type something at the top, does the scrollbar and the text field flicker for a few seconds

Doesn't matter if you type at the top of at the bottom or anywhere at all.
A nice effect I noticed it that if I switch to another window, the flickering stops (it can still be seen if I come back too soon); the highlighting is still updated correctly.
Basically, it's something with the highlighter wanting to show me the line being processed. If you just disable that, it will still be a bit silly but at least it won't flicker.

The question still stands

Whether you have my blessing? Yes and no.
I didn't do that tutorial at all. Your_Mom did. So for all I care, you can use and abuse it.
However, it's inaccurate and confusing in places, and I never got around to fixing it.
For instance, some of the lines in Mom's code just don't work (invalid AI names).
I know it doesn't make sense, but it looks like Mom didn't actually test his tut...
Maybe it's a good idea to use script tuts by OniMaster or Tosh instead.
You can also use some basic script as an example (there are plenty).
Like, the first few spawns of Tantir's thing on the other thread.

EDIT: If it takes me some time to document the variables and functions all by myself, you can blame EdT for not giving a hand wink

Last edited by geyser (06/27/07 05:06)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#37 06/27/07 21:06

EdT
Website

Tyr: The scrollbar and text field does not flickr under any circumstances.
Found another bug:
Double-clicking the commands sometimes add the command at the end of the script not at the cursor location.
This is true when adding to an existing script.  But if I start with a blank script it will add the command at the cursor location.

If it takes me some time to document the variables and functions all by myself, you can blame EdT for not giving a hand

Sorry...

#38 06/29/07 08:06

Tyr
Website

The website got a complete remake! Check it out here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rijpkem5

-----
To answer the previous posts:

geyser wrote:

@ EdT's bug #1:

The buttons for the Scripts "General | Ai2_ | Chr_ | Powerups | Weapons" does not change the contents underneath.

Here it's only true for the last four: ai2, chr_, powerups and weapons...
"general" has a content from the other four.

Thanks, fixed it (they were all piled up at the first and second tab) for the next release smile

geyser wrote:

@ EdT's bug #3:

Pressing the "New" button crashes the program.

Here it does open a new window, but something weird happens to the first one first smile
It somehow disappears, then reappears at another position, under the new one.
If you click New again, the three windows will be rearranged. Unusual smile

Fixed as well (modified the action taken when you press New), the new actions in the menu, welcome window and toolbar were having a conflict of some kind, but I fixed it by removing the closing of earlier windows (that was not really necessary in my opinion, but can always be re-added later)

geyser wrote:

@ Script's screenshot: Heh, that had to happen: OSE not fitting into the screen smile
Tyr, surely you've noticed how the line counters are screwed up by the font size?
And another thing... fixed-width fonts are preferred when editing code wink

I'll add a scrollbar for the whole window and make the whole window resizeable (only smaller, thus inwards) in one of the next releases).
Do you mean "all the same widths and fonts" of the line counter and text field, because that is not really a problem to fix that big_smile

geyser wrote:

@ highlights redrawing:

if you open an a bit longer script and type something at the top, does the scrollbar and the text field flicker for a few seconds

Doesn't matter if you type at the top of at the bottom or anywhere at all.
A nice effect I noticed it that if I switch to another window, the flickering stops (it can still be seen if I come back too soon); the highlighting is still updated correctly.
Basically, it's something with the highlighter wanting to show me the line being processed. If you just disable that, it will still be a bit silly but at least it won't flicker.

I'm working on it smile It's not yet fixed, but will hopefully be fixed (or lessened) in 0.50 or later

geyser wrote:

The question still stands

Whether you have my blessing? Yes and no.
I didn't do that tutorial at all. Your_Mom did. So for all I care, you can use and abuse it.
However, it's inaccurate and confusing in places, and I never got around to fixing it.
For instance, some of the lines in Mom's code just don't work (invalid AI names).
I know it doesn't make sense, but it looks like Mom didn't actually test his tut...
Maybe it's a good idea to use script tuts by OniMaster or Tosh instead.
You can also use some basic script as an example (there are plenty).
Like, the first few spawns of Tantir's thing on the other thread.

K, thanks, I'll try to make a compilation of things there to a nice whole smile

geyser wrote:

EDIT: If it takes me some time to document the variables and functions all by myself, you can blame EdT for not giving a hand wink

Doesn't matter wink I have all the time and patience big_smile

EdT wrote:

Tyr: The scrollbar and text field does not flickr under any circumstances.

Thanks! This is a big help in finding the problem big_smile cool!

EdT wrote:

Found another bug:
Double-clicking the commands sometimes add the command at the end of the script not at the cursor location.
This is true when adding to an existing script.  But if I start with a blank script it will add the command at the cursor location.

Hmmk, I'll look into it wink
-----
@Geyser (and other people having problems with clipping), can you check out this 0.x.48 (here) out, to see if the only showing welcome window has the better fonts and sizes to fit?
I released this away from the rest because I'm going to hide the welcome window and splash screen in next release (welcome window will only be gone temporarily I think).
This info will tell me if I'm going the right way in replacing some of the fonts and sizes (and positions) smile

Last edited by Tyr (06/29/07 08:06)

#39 06/29/07 15:06

geyser
Website

I've tested the 0.x.48 thing. The welcome, help and tutorial screens all look OK.
I've managed to get to the main editor (by opening a script), and it looks like this:
http://geyser.oni2.net/pics/misc/OSE-Screen0.x.48-XP/
It still flickers whenever I type anything anywhere in the editing view.

I've made some progress with the overviews of BSL variables.
Especially with the brief introduction to just what variables are.
Not sure when I'll update the wiki since my inet is lousy ATM.

Do you mean "all the same widths and fonts" of the line counter and text field

Not sure what you mean, but I meant you should use a fixed-size font such as Courier in the editor view, not variable-width fonts such as Arial or Tahoma.
I'd also recommend not to use smooth scrolling. Scroll line by line, not pixel by pixel: this should make it easier to synchronize the line numbers with the text.
As for the line numbers, yeah, obviously they should be the same height as the lines. This wasn't the case in earlier versions, but seems to be the case now.

Last edited by geyser (06/29/07 16:06)

#40 07/01/07 07:07

Tyr
Website

Released: OSE v0.50 smile
Download:
Homepage
-> Windows
-> Mac (definitions here)
Changes:
OSE v0.50
* Moved the Definitions list to become invisible
* Rearranged the find and replace box to make more space. A small room is open now.
* Resized the Text Style group box to take more space. A small room is open now inside it.
* Fixed the Open buttons of the welcome window and the toolbar
* Reviewed the replace function, which should be working now
* Added a box with all the colors of highlighted areas
* Resized down to fit the Highlight colors box
* Added status-text on position
* Added tutorial Toolbar Button
* Added new tutorial icon on the toolbar
* Resized the Text Style group to add Print and Page Setup features
* Updated the status text in the bottom right corner to show on-screen information about the object (most objects on main window included)
* Update the menu with some corrections and additions
* Added Print button to the text style group
* Added Page setup button to the text style group
* Added Print and Page Setup Images next to the buttons
* Added Print and Page Setup Images in the Menubar
* Edited some images from the menubar to fit in better (graphical)
* Added separators in the Help Menu
* Added the first tutorial window and allowed access to it
* Fixed the "new" menu and toolbar item. It should now add an extra window (and keep the other)
* Reviewed some of the texts' fonts, and changed them temporarily to arial (hope it's more compatible with different resolutions and operating systems)
* Changed the line counter font (hopefully) to keep line by line
* Added status text about highlighting (in Milliseconds)
* Hid the splash window for mobility
* (Hopefully) synchronized the fonts and sizes of textfield & Line counter (which is still not functional)
* Temporarily removed the welcomebox
* Fixed tabs (should show on the right pages now)
* Fixed the Highlighting flicker, but unfortunatly the scrollbar is temporarily out of use now
* Fixed fonts now used, courier by default (can be changed)
* More small fixes, mainly cosmetic
* Added Top and bottom buttons, but only top button is working (and not scrolling up, but only placing the cursor before the first character of the first line)
* Changed Tutorial picture correctly in the "Other Options tab"

Notes:
Tabs gone wild again (the glitch is not visible in the Editor... sad)
"Find" button is hiding behind the search text mad
Highlighter fixed, but scrollbar isn't usable yet big_smilehmm
This release mainly included cosmetical changes, 0.55 will follow with more changes to the contents (the tutorial and the functions/variables updated for example) wink
Screenshot below and on main post:
osescreenv050iv8.png
----

geyser wrote:

I've tested the 0.x.48 thing. The welcome, help and tutorial screens all look OK.
I've managed to get to the main editor (by opening a script), and it looks like this:
http://geyser.oni2.net/pics/misc/OSE-Screen0.x.48-XP/
It still flickers whenever I type anything anywhere in the editing view.

I found a way to fix the highlighting, but now the scrollbar is out of use. Always working on it wink
Thanks for the picture, it helped me. I hope I fixed some things and clippings now (not all ofcourse tongue)
With saying that all look OK, do you mean there is no more text missing or wrongly placed? big_smile

geyser wrote:

I've made some progress with the overviews of BSL variables.
Especially with the brief introduction to just what variables are.
Not sure when I'll update the wiki since my inet is lousy ATM.

K, nice big_smile hope to see them soon

geyser wrote:

Do you mean "all the same widths and fonts" of the line counter and text field

Not sure what you mean, but I meant you should use a fixed-size font such as Courier in the editor view, not variable-width fonts such as Arial or Tahoma.
I'd also recommend not to use smooth scrolling. Scroll line by line, not pixel by pixel: this should make it easier to synchronize the line numbers with the text.
As for the line numbers, yeah, obviously they should be the same height as the lines. This wasn't the case in earlier versions, but seems to be the case now.

Thanks for the tip smile.
In 0.50 I've changed the font of the textfield and line counter to courier, which should only be better. In the settings window there is also an option to change themes, but I disabled it at the last since I do not have any other presets available atm (highlighting recolors everything to normal colors).

So the scrollbar is down. I'm working on now making it work externally with the textfield and maybe the line counter (nice combo)
Oh... and don't mind the tabs, the find button and EdT's bug (text appending to the bottom) yet tongue:(:rolleyes:

Last edited by Tyr (07/01/07 07:07)

#41 07/01/07 10:07

EdT
Website

Tyr: The "New button" crash on the Mac has been fixed. Thanks.
Here's the updated screenshot:

#42 07/06/07 04:07

Tyr
Website

I'm taking a short break in development, since I have other things at hand and a vacation (to France smile) coming up
After that I'll be back with v0.60 or something similar with more fixes and probably a full version of REALbasic (so no more 10/11 days-5min limit) big_smile
Stay Tuned!

#43 07/16/07 01:07

azewrath

How come when i tried opening the application OSE-0.50.exe, all i get was :
  "This application is build with a demo license of REALbasic and has expired. Please contact the original author for a new version."

Does this means that that version is long gone n i have 2 wait for your v0.60?

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#44 07/16/07 05:07

Tyr
Website

Unfortunatly, yes sad
But don't worry, it'll be better than ever wink

#45 07/16/07 05:07

geyser
Website

I updated the BSL:Variables page on the wiki. It was painful...
(and it's not even over yet: the 2nd column is not 100% done)
I don't know when I'll be able to cover Functions and such... sad

#46 07/16/07 10:07

azewrath

fine... "we shall see...." wink

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#47 08/09/07 16:08

Tyr
Website

Hey all! big_smile
I'm already back a while from my vacation, and now, while working on it slowly, gonna release a new version soon. I haven't removed the limits yet (since I haven't received the program yet), but it will either be done before the release of v0.160(*), or at the release after that.

(*): The previous releases were all ranging from v0.01 to v0.55, but I'm going to rewrite the whole program with a new interface and (hopefully tongue) smarter/faster use of it, a new website and better graphics big_smile.
This is also why it is taking 'some', if not 'some large amount of time' more than usual releases. smile

Tyr

Last edited by Tyr (08/09/07 16:08)

#48 12/01/07 14:12

s10k
Website

So have you lost the interest from the OSE?

#49 12/02/07 03:12

Tyr
Website

Script_10k wrote:

So have you lost the interest from the OSE?

Nah, its mostly a question of time hmm
I am busy with a load of other things, and have put coding on a lower priority for an undefined period.
These other things include non-OCF things, but also the Compound SP4 Script.
This is where it comes to interest: I've been getting more and more interested in the scripting, and less in the coding. tongue

I'm not going to cancel OSE at all, and I'm keeping all my files. As soon as I've got some more "free space" and time, I'll pick it up again.
I hope that to be as soon as possible, but can also be a longer period. wink

Last edited by Tyr (12/02/07 03:12)

#50 12/02/07 06:12

geyser
Website

If you ask me, what scripters need is a BSL glossary/tutorial rather than a "script editor".
PSPad and even Notepad are fine. So the arrested development of OSE is no big loss tongue
It makes sense as coding practice for the developer, but apart from that it's anecdotal.

Board footer