Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/18/10 12:02

Dirk Gently
Website

shift key as crouch

I have so extensively modified the key configs for Oni I cannot remember what the original crouch button was. I use the shift key now, but lately I seem to notice that it is laggy. I am not great at combos in combat, but now it seems to be like this:

Striker is about to kick, I press shift so I can miss it, I get caught in the face with the kick then duck down.

I would like to remove that middle step of getting hit, but using the shift key seems to be delayed to me. Is this just me or does crouch always have a bit of a delay to it? I am using stock Oni on OS X, using the PPC build because the intel one does some funky stuff with one of my key settings with and teleporting camera. Also, I know that the mouse movement on the OS X PPC build is not 100% smooth, but the rest of the mouse operations without fault? I ask because I cannot seem to sync up even simple combos. (I am using a logitech VX revolution mouse and the Steermouse third party drivers because the logitech ones don't pick up my mouse as existing)

#2 02/18/10 13:02

dream996

Re: shift key as crouch

Oni I cannot remember what the original crouch button was.....

''shift'' is actually the orginal key !

PunBB bbcode test

#3 02/18/10 16:02

TheCreature

I've noticed crouch does have a bit of delay to it, but not a lot, maybe 1/4 of a second or something else infintesimal.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#4 02/18/10 16:02

TOCS

I guess it's the game that's built that way.

#5 02/18/10 17:02

Gumby

It is in the animation system. It takes a few frames to couch down.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 02/18/10 17:02

TOCS

That's understandable.. crouching without any delay would look choppy and unrealistic.

#7 02/18/10 17:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Gumby wrote:

So while it is doing that, the collision is still using that of the standing model during the transition period?

#8 02/18/10 17:02

Gumby

Dirk Gently wrote:
Gumby wrote:

So while it is doing that, the collision is still using that of the standing model during the transition period?

Nope. Collision is all done with the current animation. The beginning portion of the crouch transition likely uses the same block locations as standing things (High, not Low....)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#9 02/18/10 17:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Alright, I thought as much, good to have it confirmed. Thanks guys, I guess I just have to press the button earlier to avoid being kicked in the face to much. tongue

Board footer