Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/11/10 13:02

TOCS

Shadow mapping?

I've been wondering if the shadows could be replaced with more advanced looking once.
To me, it looks like a texture that just has an effect of going smaller when objects are far away. If it's engine-based, I guess hes-editing would be required.

Is there anyway to change the shadow mapping at all?

#2 02/11/10 15:02

demos_kratos

Re: Shadow mapping?

It could be good. But I don't remind Oni to have any lightening systems at all. ^_^'

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#3 02/11/10 15:02

TOCS

Heh, I see my description now seems misleading.. but I was talking about the character shadows, which basicly is just a round circle on the floor.

#4 02/11/10 18:02

Iritscen

You're right that the shadow is just a 2D sprite that is placed under characters.  However, d_k's answer was relevant, because Oni cannot have a proper shadow mapping system without point light sources, and Oni doesn't have any of those.  Therefore, shadow mapping would require rewriting a large amount of code pertaining to lighting and OpenGL, which is a tall order.

That being said, Oni used to have pseudo-shadow mapping.  Watch the floor under the characters in the 1999 trailer.  It's more feasible to bring that back, especially if we find that code still lurking in the binary somewhere.  But it won't add a lot to the game, honestly.

If it were reasonably possible to do one day, I would absolutely support putting a totally new lighting/shadowing system into Oni.  The system that's in place (glitchy baked-in vertex shadows and a universal light source for a level) really makes Oni look dated and flat.  Simply adding proper shading and shadowing would make the game look miles better.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer