Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/26/10 18:01

wickerman1138

Mini Missions

Having come back to Oni after a few years (I wanted to teach my 7 year old son how to play) I got hooked on it again! And I keep coming back to the research facility level which comes before the rooftops as I came up with a mini mission and thought I would ask if anyone else has any other.

For instance in the research level I set it on the hardest setting and the mission is I have to try and take out all the guys posted outside the building with the mercury bows and plasma rifles. So first off I beat the 2 guards, grab a pistol, shoot a triangle of window in the lobby, jump through it to activate the guys outside and then quickly run back in before they get me with the mercury bows.

I then carry on through the ground floor and first floor  taking out the baddies. When I get to the balcony on the first floor overlooking the street I then use the plasma rifle to pick off the streetside guys. I find this quite tough as you don't get many green ammo clips and occasionally some of the mercury bow carriers work out where you are and find a way in, which can freak you out when you least expect it. Also the mercury bow guy at the front of the building is smart and can get you through the windows of the lobby when you are trying to make your way to another floor.

I think I've managed to get through it once. The guys in the under pass are tough. And a good strategy for getting a fully loaded mercury bow is to get a guy to shoot it twice as you weave toward him and then wait until he is reloading and hit him so you get the fully loaded weapon!

Anyway, this is a good little mini mission I keep coming back to as it is pretty tough. Anyone else got any others?

I used to have one where in invincible mode on the warehouse level I would try and get as many guys to follow me through the level as possible. Can be amusing when there are loads of them and there is quite a trick to keep them interested enough to keep following you!

#2 01/26/10 22:01

TheCreature

Re: Mini Missions

I've done the one with the outside snipers.  My strategy is to do the weave thing on the first cluster and get a loaded mercury bow, and then go to the next cluster, where I snipe their sniper, finish them off, and then I go inside and finish the level.

I've also done one where on airport hangars, I try to kill as many guys as possible silently with backbreaker.  Leave it on Hard, but if you want an easier setting, use Moonshadow.  I haven't done it on any other level yet, but that doesn't mean you can't.

One strategy I've found that works well is to let a guy run at you near a crate or something, then hide so that he's watching where you were before.  From there it's easy to sneak around the crate behind him and use backbreaker.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 01/26/10 23:01

Lithium

INfiltrate the base as mukade in the same level ur talking about

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 01/27/10 06:01

Iritscen

Welcome wickerman.  I suppose the only "missions" I make for myself are where I decide to use stealth as much as possible.  I spent a while on a sort of mini-mission to sneak up on the Tanker at the other end of that first open-air area in Cargo Hangars, the one with the SBG.  He was too good at ruining my day with long-range blasts, so I worked out a path and timing to follow that allow me to sneak up on him (and most other enemies there), and prevent him from firing a single shot before I take him down.  Then I get a fully-loaded SBG as my reward.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/27/10 09:01

Tudorge
Website

Wow, i did the same thing a few years ago.
... Then you arm the weapon and let the strikers break a window, then shoot a bouncing shot to ricochet to the computer guy and then big boom big boom in the corner. Iritscen, how did you kill the blue striker at the grate fence? Because he has a great field of view, you don't have any cover, strategically, you could just move in his left or right. But practically, I couldn't.

#6 01/27/10 09:01

Tudorge
Website

Try to do this:
Face and beat barabas in the bio-research facility using just weapons.
Tips: Use the pistol rounds at start, shoot maximum 2 clips, as barabas will try to regenerate the hits. Run at the dark corners of the arena and you will find additional ammo for plasma and healthpack. Then plan the ammunition, and also when to grab the other weapon, so barabas won't have the time to get sufficient health. Try it on Hard, because it's too easy elseway. By doing this you will skip any ambushes the soldiers do that would come after you beat barabas. So equip everything and it will work.

#7 01/27/10 13:01

Gumby

Tudorge wrote:

Try to do this:
Face and beat barabas in the bio-research facility using just weapons.
Tips: Use the pistol rounds at start, shoot maximum 2 clips, as barabas will try to regenerate the hits. Run at the dark corners of the arena and you will find additional ammo for plasma and healthpack. Then plan the ammunition, and also when to grab the other weapon, so barabas won't have the time to get sufficient health. Try it on Hard, because it's too easy elseway. By doing this you will skip any ambushes the soldiers do that would come after you beat barabas. So equip everything and it will work.

Too easy. tongue

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 01/27/10 15:01

Tudorge
Website

O really? Try AE with Upgraded onccs (what does it mean?), titan mode and on hard big_smile. Of course it is nearly impossible, but if you don't let him regen, it is.

#9 01/27/10 18:01

Iritscen

Tudorge wrote:

Iritscen, how did you kill the blue striker at the grate fence? Because he has a great field of view, you don't have any cover, strategically, you could just move in his left or right. But practically, I couldn't.

Well, I didn't sneak up on that guy and do a Backbreaker or anything.  I simply ran from the nearest crate (?) to behind the fence while his back was turned.  Then, when he was looking my way, I showed myself around the corner of the fence, then ducked back and let him come running towards my position.  Then I jumped him as he got to the corner.  When I time my attack right I can avoid taking any shots or alerting any other enemies.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer