Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/24/09 17:12

Tudorge
Website

Oni Laptop

ONi is by my standards playable on many many many platforms!
I just installed the standard ONi, no mods, nothing different. It was installed on a Gigabyte M912 netbook, wich has a 10 or 9 or something diagonal-inch touchscreen, a touchpad (i play with a mouse anyway) and a good enough keyboard.
           Specifications and hardware:
-Intel Atom N270 dual-core (1,6GHz 512k, 32k)
-Intel 945 (950) Express Chipset, and that means:
-Intel GMA945 graph. adapter, wich is an integrated card (166MHz - shared RAM), easily overclockable to 400MHz, but there isn't much help from the processor side.
- 1 GB(byte) ddr2 DIM RAM.
- really light , portable build. Crackyiest netbook build there is, except for the swivel screen.
- IT CAN TURN INTO A TABLET PC. Oni tablet version. Next stop: Oni on a video bord game?
- Windows XP Home edition SP3 registered. I don't know how it discovered 2 cores in home edition.
           Conclusion:
In my opinion, i've found it verry verry playable, so if you really want portable oni, get a comercial usb stick, a netbook and an installation and you're good.
I've played Doom3(works the same as my old desktop, the one i had to play oni on big_smile), Half-Life 1 & a bit of 2 (2 works badly) but source works so-so like doom3; Freelancer is unplayable, Quake2, Quake3, Quake live(its proc. intensive and works nice, thats what i play a bit), and some classics: Lost vikings, Doom, Quake1, team fortress classic, chessmaster, homm3, star wars. And that's about it.

I'll post a video link as soon as i can film some of the gameplay.
Posting with a game recorder won't be any proof, so ill film it somehow, but i'm horrified of cellphone camera quality  hmm .

Hope you find this useful. I really enjoy playing it like this! I'll play from start to finish(im at lv3)

Last edited by Tudorge (12/24/09 17:12)

#2 12/24/09 18:12

Gumby

Re: Oni Laptop

XP Home can do 4 cores, IIRC. I play (well mostly test netcode....) on a similar laptop, which has the exact same specs as yours, but without the tablet aspect.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 12/24/09 19:12

Tudorge
Website

oh thats good to know.
Our specs are standard netbook spec.
There are other platform like via, ati, intel and most importantly Nvidia.
Ati is too expensive, and there are notebooks in marketing not netbooks.
Nvidia ion is a good solution, but really expensive.

That's good to know we have thoose nice things. They're really useful.
And remember, oni will run really well.

P.S: My laptop is just capable of taking tablet pc form by swiveling it and then making it in a single block, with touchscreen. Of course i don't use that when i play, but sometimes yes, and mostly when browsing folders.

#4 12/25/09 03:12

Gumby

I wish mine did that. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 01/23/10 22:01

GlenP

From the title of this thread I thought you were going to talk about "Oni's" laptop:

Oni_laptop.png

I wonder if Konoko's laptop would have been powerful enough to play Oni?

#6 01/24/10 05:01

TOCS

I've also been able to play it on both school PCs and my grandmothers. smile
Oni dosen't really have he the greatest requirements, which is great. tongue

#7 01/24/10 09:01

Tudorge
Website

That looks like an Asus laptop (orange and black with borders).
Too bad Oni slows down on this netbook. It's good to play the whole singleplayer, but if you add modifications like scripts that put more players and complex calculations, it will sacadate a bit.
I will get an IBM T43 notebook, and I'll use it for media, programming, games and tests. I can't wait to play Oni on it.

#8 02/06/10 10:02

Tudorge
Website

I've got an IBM Thinkpad T42 type 2374. And it works really great, has an excellent robustness build type and configuration (Intel Pentium M Dothan 1,7 GHz, 2Mb Cache, 400MHz FSB, so is the 512 MB DDR module), all good except for the battery, wich is a 6-cell li-ion 1:25 hrs lasting, because of the age of the computer. The keyboard is most acclaimed, but it has two buttons rippde and missing and bad replacement with bumps, it will be replaced next week; the graphics chip is a  Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32 Mb VRAM. It's directx 7 level. but i'm really happy anyway.
If i would get any other laptop, I'd either rebuild this or another thinkpad.

#9 02/06/10 10:02

Tudorge
Website

Do you think Konoko's laptop model and texture could be used in another level?
smile :)We could make an Oni caffe script, with lots of coffee and books and magazines i think(english)
and laptops. Just imagine Muro getting into the fun with his glass fragile alienware, trips over griffin's power supply cord and drops it and assaults poor griffin hmm

Board footer