Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/19/09 16:12

wmjdgla

Couldn't find persist.dat

I just installed the game on my new vista machine and played through the first few levels. The save-points persists after I quit the game but the persist.dat file is nowhere to be found, along with the whole save game folder. Searched through the whole drive and it turned up nothing. Any ideas?

#2 12/19/09 20:12

wmjdgla

Re: Couldn't find persist.dat

Found it. Seems like Vista handles program data differently - it only allows the program to create new files in a different directory user/appdata/local/virtualstore/program files, which is hidden. Probably for security reasons.

#3 12/19/09 20:12

EdT
Website

Thanks for the update.

#4 12/20/09 03:12

RossyMiles
Website

wmjdgla wrote:

Found it. Seems like Vista handles program data differently - it only allows the program to create new files in a different directory user/appdata/local/virtualstore/program files, which is hidden. Probably for security reasons.

Yeah, that's so different users can have different data for the same program. With Oni, every user would have a different persist.dat. I think that feature gets turned off if you turn UAC off.

#5 01/01/10 16:01

Phydur

we should probibly make a wiki page on window vista's 'features'..

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#6 01/06/10 08:01

RossyMiles
Website

sad no love for vista? Currently it has the best security in the whole windows series (7 has some known flaws and XP is a joke security wise). It seems like I'm the only person who has had a good experience with it. I am definitely in no hurry to "upgrade" to 7.

#7 01/11/10 18:01

Phydur

RossyMiles wrote:

sad no love for vista? Currently it has the best security in the whole windows series (7 has some known flaws and XP is a joke security wise). It seems like I'm the only person who has had a good experience with it. I am definitely in no hurry to "upgrade" to 7.

oh no, dont get me wrong, im using vista, and i dont realy want to upgrade to 7 either, im just saying, vista seems to have a lot of problems with oni.
wink

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#8 01/11/10 19:01

RossyMiles
Website

Ah, that's ok then (I tend to get a little defensive about Vista). It might be an idea to mention this somewhere because a lot of users seem to have trouble with it. It's more than a little confusing since we always tell them to go looking in C:\Program Files\Oni.

Board footer