Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 01/11/10 04:01

Unit 2

Re: Do you think we can change the past to prevent global warming?

Well, not necessarily helping, but anything that eats from the stuff. And that, in turn, may damage other things.

#52 01/11/10 06:01

T_W_D

But in order to emit more CO2 than humankind as a whole, the planet would have to be covered in active volcanos like it currently is in cities.

How'd you know that? Where's the proof? The numbers?

Nature forces can be far more catastrophic than you think. Of all the atmospheric pollution, 95% comes from volcanos, fires, dust storms, cosmic particles etc. I didn't make the number up, that's a scientific fact. There are millions of tons of deadly gases under the Earth crust, and once in the atmosphere, they can stay for years, same as volcanic ash.

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#53 01/11/10 12:01

adorage

T_W_D wrote:

But in order to emit more CO2 than humankind as a whole, the planet would have to be covered in active volcanos like it currently is in cities.

How'd you know that? Where's the proof? The numbers?

Nature forces can be far more catastrophic than you think. Of all the atmospheric pollution, 95% comes from volcanos, fires, dust storms, cosmic particles etc. I didn't make the number up, that's a scientific fact. There are millions of tons of deadly gases under the Earth crust, and once in the atmosphere, they can stay for years, same as volcanic ash.

If that is true, I have apparently missed the recent explosive increase in the number of volcano eruptions. No one who knows anything about global warming will doubt that the greenhouse effect is something that has always been there, of course, it's the very thing that makes life on earth possible because otherwise it would be far too cold here. But the way the temperature is rising right now, I'm afraid, has nothing to do with volcano eruptions - they are just a part of the natural greenhouse effect - and very much to do with the one factor that didn't use to be there and that is air pollution by humans.

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#54 01/11/10 12:01

T_W_D

No one who knows anything about global warming

Knows from where, exactly? News? British scientists? Greenpeace social ads? I've read people who did serious researches, and talked to some of them on the internet. I state what they state.

If air pollution by humans is 0,5% of all the air pollution, how much damage can it cause?

the temperature is rising right now

*looks outside* If only smile

#55 01/11/10 13:01

paradox-01

If air pollution by humans is 0,5% of all the air pollution, how much damage can it cause?

Will you be so friendly to provide sources for your claim?

#56 01/11/10 14:01

adorage

T_W_D wrote:

No one who knows anything about global warming

Knows from where, exactly? News? British scientists? Greenpeace social ads? I've read people who did serious researches, and talked to some of them on the internet. I state what they state.

Why are you taking issue with that sentence? I thought you'd probably be the last person to deny that the greenhouse effect is a naturally occuring phenomenon.
Yes, I read people who did serious research, too.  We can start throwing around names and data now (really, we can do that!), or we can pursue a causal chain like I'm trying to do.

T_W_D wrote:

Well, without the natural greenhouse effect, the mean temperature of the planet would be some 30° lower. I don't know if it's 0.5% but the climate reacts pretty sensitively even to small changes.

T_W_D wrote:

the temperature is rising right now

*looks outside* If only smile

...yeah right smile

#57 01/11/10 15:01

T_W_D

Will you be so friendly to provide sources for your claim?

Yes, in Russian. English sources are often too pro-green to be objective. But I googled some, just for you.

http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/air_qualit … ution.html
http://www.springerlink.com/content/t34 … ltext.html

There're also whole lists on different theories concerning the global warming in Wikipedia, including those that oppose pro-greens.

#58 01/11/10 15:01

T_W_D

Why are you taking issue with that sentence?

Quoted the wrong thing, oops. I'm generally quite conservative and I agree with public opinion, but global warming doesn't count.

And climate changes constantly by itself.

Last edited by T_W_D (01/11/10 15:01)

#59 01/11/10 17:01

Gumby

There are sources that support either side. *shrug*

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#60 01/11/10 20:01

adorage

T_W_D wrote:

Why are you taking issue with that sentence?

Quoted the wrong thing, oops. I'm generally quite conservative and I agree with public opinion, but global warming doesn't count.

As you wish.

T_W_D wrote:

And climate changes constantly by itself.

I never denied that.

Your links don't convince me either. I can't read Russian, the first English link says nothing about the importance of human-made emissions and the Springer-link I can't access (I googled the title though and found a paper that aims to prove the first one wrong, it's the third or fourth hit, right at the top - so I could throw that link at you now but that wouldn't help anyone of us either). And the last one is merely a list of scientists who have a certain opinion, none of the data and numbers you promised.

But the whole line of argument makes no sense. Even if natural forces are more significant for the greenhouse effect than human interference, it doesn't explain the current phenomenon of global warming. Except if there are some secret volcanos or secret duststorms upsetting the balance and causing a change in global temperature that is infinitely quicker than the usual fluctuations in climate, this data just describes facts that have been there even before the beginning of industrialisation.

Gumby wrote:

There are sources that support either side. *shrug*

There are sources for and against everything, that doesn't level the field. Even creationists can give their statements are aura of scientific validity.

#61 01/14/10 12:01

T_W_D

You asked for sources, I gave them.

Whatever. As long as I live in a cold region, I can't care less about the global warming. Maybe we'll have palm trees here. That'd be cool.

#62 01/15/10 21:01

Stevinlewis

lol, itll just be colder in where u live  neutral

#63 01/15/10 22:01

T_W_D

Who told you that?

#64 01/16/10 01:01

Ridrave

Climate Change So Fast. Everything Happen So Fast WOW............ Wah Its Getting Hot And Humid Here Temperature  Rising....

2010 Is The Year Of Green Resolution

http://www.treehugger.com/

Lets Save The Earth Together.

mycharactercreation1.gif

#65 01/20/10 12:01

Væringjar

adorage wrote:
T_W_D wrote:

Cold in China and England. Cold in USA. 40 victims of severe cold in Poland. Snowfalls everywhere. News scream about the new ice age.

Novosibirsk, -40 plus icy wind.

Where the hell is that global warming of yours when we need it? mad

climate change leads to all kinds of freak weather. For example, increased rainfall was predicted for Germany from the very beginning of the global warming debate and now we're drowning in snow (right now) and having more and more destructive rainstorms in winter (last years) - while each summer is getting hotter than the last. Personally, I'm glad it's snowing because November and early December were so warm here the trees started to blossom, thinking it was spring.

Some areas of the world are getting wetter due to CC, other are becoming deserts. Now the free market approach would be to export German snow to Africa tongue

Oh you're German? Grüsse aus der Schweiz smile

Well, time travel is BS. Okay, you should never completely dismiss a halway reasonable explanation, but this...

Board footer