Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 01/02/10 14:01

Tudorge
Website

Re: Oni hardware survey

Oh by the way:
I have built a computer with my dad and his friend for my birthday. I needed a full upgrade because I had sdram and pentium 3 level generation, and I don't play something more than half-life2. The only big game it played was my sister's game Assasin's Creed. Luckily we decided on a good video card to make it good for future "sister-wanted" games.
Im happy with it, but my point is: A computer magazine that i usualy read said once about the new 45nM architecture in Core2Duo and Core2Quad models. And my model, E7300, as low as 35, got up to 65 degrees Celsius. Yes ... I laughed at that and even mailed them about the quality of their reviews. I achieved from a mere 21 degrees in winter, 23-5 summer lowest, and just up to 36-7. With Intel's cooler from the box. I also used two fans on each lower faces of the case and a plastic tube that flows air in-out case and inside the cooler's blades then out on the roof or back smile.
Really bad air system they must have had. They even used the box cooler too.
So macs have bad cooling hmm ?
And levka, 100°C is really bad, it's boiling temp in most regions, and it should alert the motherboard's temp. monitor. Then it should close. So that's hardly probable, or intelligent. Keep it cool cool!

#27 01/02/10 16:01

Iritscen

I get up to around probably 75°C at the most, but (1) I'm on a laptop, and (2) the Mac is emulating PPC code on an Intel chip, so it has to work a lot harder.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 01/02/10 19:01

Samer
Website

I hope this thread doesn't become another one of those Mac versus PC never ending battles ^_^

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#29 01/03/10 07:01

Tudorge
Website

No, samer sir. I'm actually enjoying this, and this isn't a battle. We're just pointing out what good things macs can do. And even PCs. This could actually influence more oni players than me.
Now, please vote. And ask other friends in this community to do so. Mac may have fewer numbers, but that's because people have pre-concepted ideas.

My opinion is that they're great, the laptops. Because we already have desktops, and I want a good laptop of my own.
My contra-argument is price. They're priced around the rational price of a company-built laptop.

#30 01/03/10 10:01

Dirk Gently
Website

I am a firm believer that one OS is not better than another, it is more suited for the specific user. I have heard a number of people say stuff such as "what makes OS X so 'advanced' over windows?". My answer to that is definitely Applescript. While not a prominent feature in OS X, it has always been there. To give a brief explanation of this because I know a lot of mac users that have no idea what it is for:

Applescript is a universal programming language that has been misnamed as "script" when it should be considered a real programming language. This language can interface with any and every application and process on your computer. You can do absolutely anything with it and that is what makes it so powerful.

#31 01/03/10 11:01

Iritscen

And combine that with the fact that you can link AppleScript code and bash scripts (shell scripts for Unix), and you have a lot of power at your fingertips.  Windows has its own batch scripts for working on the command line, but no command line yet can compete with Unix for features and power.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#32 01/03/10 11:01

Tudorge
Website

True. I think you can do almost anything with just bash in linux. And so it is for unix and it's own command line.
There's a new fun thing in Windows 7 i found, called powershell. It executes any DOS commandline before, but it can execute 32-bit and 64-bit applications from thoose commands.
But it's inside the operating system, so it doesn't help much, it's just an alternative to its drag drop clicking interface.

Last edited by Tudorge (01/03/10 11:01)

#33 01/07/10 11:01

levka1

I heard from somewhere that you need to do Run under Windows .. when you have Windows 7, is that correct? By the way, it really depends on where do you live,  such countries and continents as Europe, America are much colder then Africa-near countries, i live in Israel and if you own a computer here and dont have any cooling device for it, your computer probably gonna start shuttin down, btw my computer actually got to i think 110 Celsius, i think this tempriture triggers certain mechanism which shuts down your computer, if i would disable it, would my computer heat up to tempriture where it actually can burn it from the inside?

#34 01/07/10 11:01

Tudorge
Website

1: Run what? Win7 is nearly the same as looking to vista. It's a lot more faster and efficient. You should try it, without key you can still use it. Please be more explicit and on topic.
*: I have a server case, it is big and has 4-5x big drive slots and 10x or 5x near the power supply. A good power supply and a tunnel inside, that flows air between front-back, and cools the cpu and memory. GPU has iceq3 cooling and air flow from both sides(psup. and cpu tunnel)
It is a quiet-PC and has the best cooling on air I've seen. It's a fun to boot the system at 18 degrees in winter, and get around 24. And my hard drive is slim and silent, so it won't heat much but can absorb heat in summer, so around 35 summer, and around 20 winter. Great! smile
       2: Yes it will destroy some of the processor's circuits, so be careful with cooling and electronics.
I suggest you use a water cooler for every component you can. And with 50 Celsius outside you can keep your computer to 30 inside, cpu (depends on architecture and power management inside it) could be around 30-40-50, and gpu (depends again).
So if you're a good builder you can put cables well and cool it better. But again it depends on preference, components and cooling. levka, you're exagerating a bit, thoose temperatures are a lot in front of the cpu temp. safes. On most motherboards, the "safes" are around 70-99. Anything near 100 or between 90 and 100 will shut it down. Else it's a defective processor if it doesn't shut down. Don't buy expensive abundent in speed processors, they're bad and do not have proper cooling from provider.

Last edited by Tudorge (01/07/10 11:01)

Board footer