Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/30/09 19:12

RuK

Serious Konoko

I read something about re-making Oni on Serious Engine 3(http://wiki.oni2.net/Serious_Konoko),and would like tell me opinion about that.First of all for me Serious Engine(and Serious Sam) seriously sucks!And i'm sure that many other people thinks the same.

Anyway if we want to resurrect the "reputation" of Oni,we must choose one more "well-known" engine and with better graphics that Serious one.Like Unreal Engine 3(from UT3),Source Engine(Half-life 2 series) or Quake 3 engine(from last Quake ofc) etc...etc...

I'm not programmer or something like this,only know few things,but if Serious Konoko is like a mob of Serious Sam it will be disaster.Cause few plays Serious Sam,so if Serious Konoko requires the game to play it,noone will know the new mob and even fewer will download it to play it.For example,Team Forteress(a Half-life 1 mob) was a kind of dead game and the new Source resurrect and now must more ppl knew it!

Anyway that's only my point guyz,
and I would like to hear yours too!! smile

Edit: Some spells

Last edited by RuK (12/30/09 19:12)

#2 12/30/09 20:12

Iritscen

Re: Serious Konoko

Nice tag ^_^  At this rate Harry is gonna turn tags off again.

Contrary to the claim on the Serious Konoko page, the project *is* dead.  Nobody active in the community is working on it, nor plans to.  We're focused on adding more content and features to Oni, not making a new game.

Anyway, the topic of bringing Oni into a new engine comes up frequently, and the main objection to using an engine like the ones you mentioned is that they don't have support for the complex melee of Oni.  We'd have to do a lot of coding to add a melee engine to the existing engine.  It's hard to justify because I don't really know what we would gain from using a new engine.  Better graphics?  We can do that with Oni's engine.  Multiplayer?  We're working on that.  Etc., etc.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 12/31/09 08:12

RuK

What's the problem with my tag?and who is Harry anyway? tongue
That was only my point of view!
And i didn't know that the project is dead xD

#4 01/01/10 17:01

Phydur

Harry is the Admin. just FYI.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#5 01/01/10 17:01

Iritscen

Harry also pointed out recently that he wants tags to be informative and useful keywords.  He had to turn them off once in the past, and just turned them back on, so we're trying to make better use of them this time.

#6 01/01/10 18:01

Lithium

Yea i too was confused with the tag sad

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#7 01/01/10 20:01

RuK

ok ok ok...i get it =/

#8 01/02/10 04:01

TOCS

..just a fact, the SE 3 Engine is the one with the best graphics you'd mention in your post, the others are previous generation.
Anyways, as Iritscen just said, we'll need a engine capable of the combination of melee, and I've never actualy seen an engine capable of that. Oni seems to be one in a million.

Last edited by TOCS (01/02/10 04:01)

#9 01/02/10 08:01

Iritscen

We'll worry about new engines if we ever get to a point where we can't move forward with the current one, improving it with the Daodan.  So far the only limitations we have are in manpower, not in Bungie's engine.

#10 01/02/10 10:01

levka1

I think there wont be Oni2 or continue to Oni as long as fans will do it,  i believe that only big powerful companies can take, make and produce Oni2 or w/e on the market, its impossible for community to do. If one man would try to make his own Oni game it will probably take him 7 10 years so i think its better for Oni fans and script writes,skinners and modulers just make DLC for Oni, downloadable contect as new levels, or just like missions pack. Makin new game with certain engine even as simple as sourse engine isnt easy at all. Oni which consists very good controls, great melee and a lot of 3rd person action isn't something easy to make.
btw: off topic i saw one site, i dont remember it but it had something like Oni Player: Play Oni with your friends
Is there any way to play Oni With each other, against each other or something like that? i mean oN-line kind of Oni tongue?

#11 01/02/10 10:01

Unit 2

levka1: it's currently being worked on, it's called Flatline.

#12 01/02/10 13:01

Iritscen

Just for the record, OniPlayer was an older attempt to add multiplayer to Oni.  But we're in a better position now to actually make it happen with Flatline using the Daodan DLL.  I believe Flatline has already accomplished more than OniPlayer did.

#13 01/02/10 21:01

Stevinlewis

oni player looks dead lol

#14 01/03/10 07:01

Tudorge
Website

When was source engine simple?
They started working on it long before games that used it.
And if you believe that, it's your call. They are capable of making anything in time or with the proper knowledge. The only thing good to do is encourage and help, not being pessimistic.
I just hope that they'll release the source-code of Oni soon.

#15 01/03/10 08:01

TOCS

I'm pretty sure the source code wont be released. Or atleast for for free.

Take Two has other plans. This fanbase is far from big enough, to make Take Two open their eyes.

#16 01/03/10 09:01

Tudorge
Website

Then if this community finishes Oni flatline or whatever multiplayer project, then they will open their eyes. Let's all advertise Oni Central!
This topic discussion should be closed, serious konoko page is dead, same as oni player.

#17 01/03/10 10:01

Iritscen

We don't tend to close topics just because they go off-topic or the discussion is "done".  Some forums are rather Nazi-like about that, but I don't think there's really any harm in leaving those threads open.

Anyway, yes, it would be nice if someone high up noticed our efforts with things like Flatline and BGI.  We're not counting on it, however; source would be nice, but there's a lot we can do on our own.  And as you said, we have to actually finish one of these major projects before we can go advertising ourselves like we've accomplished something amazing.

#18 01/03/10 15:01

Lithium

From wat ive seen you only close topics if they get TOO out of topic, have huge arguments, or ilegal things. Like a link to oni or sumthing like that

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer