Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/30/09 14:12

Tudorge
Website

Oni hardware survey

Yes richter!
I want to know what percentage of oni players on OCF use either Mac or non-mac computers (standard x386 arch. or even tape computers, it's still not a mac!).
So vote! And you could specify if you use a laptop like me.
And also, a happy new year for tomorrow smile !

#2 12/30/09 15:12

demos_kratos

Re: Oni hardware survey

I use both. What should I do?

Last edited by demos_kratos (01/01/10 06:01)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#3 12/30/09 17:12

Dirk Gently
Website

Macbook Pro
iMac G5

#4 12/30/09 18:12

Iritscen

MacBook Pro.  It turned three last month.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 12/30/09 19:12

EdT
Website

Mac Mini and MacBook

#6 12/31/09 18:12

Tudorge
Website

That's great.
I have a desktop of my own, but in my house we have about 4 pcs. One is going to turn server. And im raising money to buy a laptop for my favourite games and programming.
It could be a mac, they interest me.
Demos kratos, are we the only ones classical here? smile Richter got here when my sister was listening to him and i made this topic. He didn't forget anything.

#7 12/31/09 19:12

Iritscen

As you can see from this highly scientific survey, 26.67% of everyone uses a Mac, so you will have plenty of support if you do go with a Mac.   cool

#8 12/31/09 20:12

Tudorge
Website

everyone ...
I am interested in macintoshes esspecially because oni was meant to run on them, and because i saw a really old apple 2 smile

#9 12/31/09 21:12

Iritscen

Well, I don't actually know if Oni was "meant" to run on Macs.  The Windows and Mac versions were basically built simultaneously.  Now, the PS2 version is a port, but the Win and Mac versions are equally native to their platforms.  There are lots of other reasons to be interested in getting a Mac, though smile

#10 01/01/10 07:01

demos_kratos

Mac has very interesting BSD-like arch. It has the best design ever created. It'll lag only if you run over 15 programs simultaneously. I have Mac Mini. I assure you that you won't regret buying it.

Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?

#11 01/01/10 07:01

Væringjar

demos_kratos wrote:

Mac has very interesting BSD-like arch. It has the best design ever created. It'll lag only if you run over 15 programs simultaneously. I have Mac Mini. I assure you that you won't regret buying it.

Whereas - dispute about it, if you want - Windows Vista or even 7 are huge, bloated, slow shopping carts laden with cows. The analogy of slender, sleek feline animals fits Mac OS well.

#12 01/01/10 07:01

demos_kratos

Væringjar wrote:

Windows Vista or even 7 are huge, bloated, slow shopping carts laden with cows.

Agreed. That's why I use XP.

Væringjar wrote:

The analogy of slender, sleek feline animals fits Mac OS well.

Double agreed.

#13 01/01/10 07:01

Tudorge
Website

I don't know about you but QBASIC and DOS are my best friends no matter what platform.
Im affraid of the mac-pc compatibillity and price, in rest i like them. I've experienced it in ubuntu
Can the newest macOS execute executables (.exe) hmm ?

#14 01/01/10 08:01

demos_kratos

it can execute .NET console applications like OniSplit with Mono framework. but that's all.

#15 01/01/10 09:01

Iritscen

Tudorge wrote:

Can the newest macOS execute executables (.exe) hmm ?

.Exe files are for Windows, we run .apps.  But with a Wine solution like CrossOver or WineBottler you can run most Windows apps on the Mac.  If those don't work, then Parallels/Fusion will almost certainly work, and if those don't work, then you use Boot Camp.  But the general idea is to buy Mac-native software once you switch.

#16 01/01/10 09:01

Iritscen

Okay, you asked me further privately about games and BASIC on the Mac... I hope you understand that the Mac is a completely different platform which has nothing in common with Windows at its foundation.  That doesn't mean that switching is a huge pain, but it does require a willingness to re-learn a few things.

1. For games, you have one of two options:
A. Buy games when they come out for Mac (often delayed by at least a year if they come out at all), and support the platform, and the companies that port/develop these games for the platform.  The really popular games almost always come out for Mac sooner or later.
B. Buy them for Windows, and reboot into Boot Camp to run them there.  I'll leave my opinion out of this and just say that it's a personal decision for each Mac user to make.

2. You mentioned BASIC/QBASIC as something you want to continue to program in.  I'm a little puzzled, because I remember BASIC as something where I programmed by line number in DOS on an IBM PC.  I stopped paying attention to it after I learned several more languages so I could program effectively on modern computers.  Anyway, you would need to learn a cross-platform language to be able to build something that would run natively on the Mac -- basically, the only reasonable choice is C/C++/Obj-C.

Anyway, the overall experience of using a Mac is a great one; you just need to be prepared for an adjustment period.  You'll be leaving behind the world of viruses, spyware, and those meltdowns like the one northeno made a thread about.  I've never even considered having to re-install my OS to fix a problem (aside from the one time I broke everything with my stupid hex editing).  As long as you aren't one of those hardcore gamers, you have nothing to lose if you do switch.

#17 01/01/10 15:01

Tudorge
Website

Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm not a hardcore gamer, and i despise wasting time on bad games. But be it their way. I just play my favourite games and learn on it (computer).
Since you don't want private messages: Iritscen, when did you start programming? How did you get to reprogram oni? Because i really want a begginers guide to that, i've seen something on oniGalore but I'm a DOS chap here, i just read some steps in C. Do i need to learn C and C++? I just want to understand the way Oni is made and how it is functional. And i can edit scripts, but they look so different than basic to me. Oh well i have to switch. smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mal6XbN5 … r_embedded

Last edited by Tudorge (01/01/10 15:01)

#18 01/01/10 15:01

GlenP

Long time home Mac user, but also use PC and UNIX/linux machines at work.  When I first got Oni I had a Power Macintosh G3 Desktop 233MHz 1998 vintage, though I didn't really play it much at the time.  I am now running it on a Power Macintosh G4 "Mirror Drive Door" MDD dual 1.25 GHz, 2002 vintage that can boot Mac OS 9 or OS X.  The version of Oni I have can run natively in either OS.  Though I discovered that the intro/outro BINK videos require the OS 9 BINK shared library to play and don't play when using native OS X.  They do play in the AE version.

#19 01/01/10 17:01

Gumby

Væringjar wrote:
demos_kratos wrote:

Whereas - dispute about it, if you want - Windows Vista or even 7 are huge, bloated, slow shopping carts laden with cows. The analogy of slender, sleek feline animals fits Mac OS well.

Saying "dispute about it, if you want" does not make something true. Have you even used 7?

edit: also, I should point out that I have at least 15 programs open at the moment, no lag.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#20 01/01/10 17:01

Iritscen

Tudorge wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm not a hardcore gamer, and i despise wasting time on bad games. But be it their way. I just play my favourite games and learn on it (computer).

The only people I can see being disappointed with Mac gaming are the ones who "need" all the big games.  But there's usually enough quality titles to keep "regular" gamers busy.

Since you don't want private messages:

I don't want to have a long exchange that causes me to hit my limit so I have to archive my PMs again, that's all smile  Feel free to PM me with simple questions.  I also thought that a subject like this is best had on the forum so all can benefit from and contribute to the discussion.

Iritscen, when did you start programming?

Hmm, my first language was probably BASIC, and that was in middle school on an 8086 IBM PC.  I was moving to Macs at that point, so I also learned Hypertalk (so I could use Hypercard, which is what inspired the creation of the WWW), and AppleScript (so I could script my Mac).

I didn't learn a true high-level language until I took a pilot-year class in C in high school, though.  That was what really opened my eyes to the world of programming.  I've picked up a handful of other languages since then, but C was the most important language I ever learned.

How did you get to reprogram oni?

Heh, I wish.  The closest thing to reprogramming Oni is the Daodan DLL, which you'll have to ask Rossy or Gumby about (Daodan is written in C, FYI).  But maybe you weren't really asking about changing Oni's code?  Most of what we do in the community involves altering the game data, not the engine.  You don't need to know programming for any of that work except BSL scripting, which is easy to pick up.

Anyway, on the subject of learning C, I will simply link to a previous post of mine: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 554#p19554

#21 01/01/10 17:01

Tudorge
Website

PC users increase
Thanks for the help. Lastly no, i was reffering to modding (scripts and program.lang. based editing).
I ought to learn that.

#22 01/01/10 18:01

Iritscen

BSL is something you can pretty much just jump into, using the wiki's resources and by reading Oni's .bsl files.  C is only being used for writing Daodan and the AE Installer, but it's always a good thing to know; you never know when you'll find it useful, but you will someday.

#23 01/02/10 10:01

levka1

I dont know the problems macentosh can have, but by my own personal experience i know that Oni heats up you cores much faster then any other game, for example i had duel x64 cores and it heat them up to 100 c.  I guess it depends on you hardware your cooler particular , and your country, i heard btw there is Oni for PS1. Anyone tryed playin Oni on PS1?

#24 01/02/10 13:01

Iritscen

Yeah, Oni runs hot on Macs too.

i heard btw there is Oni for PS1

There was never an Oni for PS1, only for PS2.  Never played it, though.

#25 01/02/10 14:01

Tudorge
Website

Stay on-topic please. That could probably lead to system dammage, but macs use low power and voltage parts.
Oh , and x64 is just how a computer (CPU) would manage data/mem. packets, more robust and large, but only for a cpu capable of that job, and something a cpu like that can execute in x64 (a program that was WRITTEN) in in x64 style.
Any (standard if you can say) computer can be reffered as a client of the 8086 or x86 architecture. That's where the name comes from.

Oni runs hot on macs too.

?

Board footer